• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

J. Crew Wingtips

chiamdream

Reaction score
I saw them in the store; they have a kind of bulky lug pattern on the sole. If you need a rubber sole, I guess they're okay, but hard to get excited about. Florsheim Kenmoor makes some nice wingtips in this price range.

ctrlaltelite

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
epaulet raved about them in an earlier post.

ArliHawk`

Reaction score
I've owned these before. They are comfortable and pretty durable.

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ctrlaltelite

Hah?

Was I smack-talking these before? Probably. I really dislike J.Crew's shoes. They're lousy quality, and I think that they're overpriced for what they are.

Wingtips are classic, and if you can afford an up-front investment, then you won't regret it. You'll get more wear out of a good pair, and they'll look better for longer.

If $200 is your budget, then I'd really encourage you to wait and give the B&S forums a chance to serve up a pair for you. Get a pair of used Aldens, Allen Edmonds, Trickers, C&J's, etc. I've bought excellent shoes on this site for around that price.

thenanyu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ctrlaltelite

Originally Posted by Epaulet
Hah?

Was I smack-talking these before? Probably. I really dislike J.Crew's shoes. They're lousy quality, and I think that they're overpriced for what they are.

Wingtips are classic, and if you can afford an up-front investment, then you won't regret it. You'll get more wear out of a good pair, and they'll look better for longer.

If $200 is your budget, then I'd really encourage you to wait and give the B&S forums a chance to serve up a pair for you. Get a pair of used Aldens, Allen Edmonds, Trickers, C&J's, etc. I've bought excellent shoes on this site for around that price.

Ok now I am not confused anymore. "Raved" usually means reviewed favorably, as in "Rave Reviews". Thanks for clarifying Mike.

ZackyBoy

Reaction score
Those shoes look awful. Clunky and screaming ****** quality.

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thenanyu
Ok now I am not confused anymore. "Raved" usually means reviewed favorably, as in "Rave Reviews". Thanks for clarifying Mike.

Hey Nan, I'm here to help!

Nan, for the record, scored a pair of Alden Shell Cordovan wingtips in fantastic condition for $240. They initially came from the Mens Clothing B&S forum. For not much over your budget, he's currently living on the top of wingtip-ownership-dom. Patience, my friend.

mtsoccer4

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ZackyBoy
Those shoes look awful. Clunky and screaming ****** quality.

Lots of people exaggerate...these don't look awful. Actually, in my opinion they LOOK very nice.

I feel the need to mention that, having owned 2 pairs of J Crew shoes, they are in fact quite poorly made. The reason I purchased the shoes is because I got them on sale for $30 and $18 a pair (for suede derbies and split toe oxfords). The rubber soles squeak on rubber surfaces and my suede pair is coming apart where the uppers are supposed to be attached to the soles. Overall the price is pretty high for what you get if you purchase them retail.

For around $150 you could probably lurk around here for some gently used, better quality wingtips. I have seen them for sale quite often in B&S.

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Even easier: post a thread in the want-to-buy forum.

hnlax

Reaction score
i bought a pair of allen edmond cliftons for work in july, and i must say that they get more praise than any other item i own. i don't know how i feel about j crew's shoes. i like j crew a fair amount, especially on sale, but just looking at their macallaster (sp?) boots makes me think twice. you could get "the originators" (clarks) for cheaper, and i feel like people have said that they don't think the macallasters are even that great of quality. why pay more if it's not any better? to an extent, i know this reasoning is flawed--allen edmonds and alden didn't invent wingtips or whatever, so why pay for them blah blah. but in the case of the j crew desert boot...i just don't get it. i feel like based on that, j crew's footwear is probably overpriced for what it is...so these are probably comparable to a cheaper stacy adams/bostonian shoe from macys (which is fine, but then you can pay less for said brands than these j crew ones) with that being said, you can get a pair of NEW allen edmonds for like one hundred bucks more. there's a wide range of colors, and you know you're getting made in the us stuff (i know that isn't what it used to be, but still). http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/3039210?...=searchresults there's not as much broguing as the j crew pair, but they'll probably be a bit more durable. you'll go get them resoled if you need to because you invested the money in them. are they more expensive? yeah. but if you save for a little bit longer, you'll have something better j crew is a pretty solid option, especially compared to other brands in the price range. i just don't think it'd be worth it in the long run. i'm the king of buying stuff right now (even if it's not great stuff, but it just catches my eye), but with nicer shoes, i told myself to wait for something i really liked. hold out for something you really want.

dmash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hnlax
i bought a pair of allen edmond cliftons for work in july, and i must say that they get more praise than any other item i own.

i don't know how i feel about j crew's shoes. i like j crew a fair amount, especially on sale, but just looking at their macallaster (sp?) boots makes me think twice. you could get "the originators" (clarks) for cheaper, and i feel like people have said that they don't think the macallasters are even that great of quality. why pay more if it's not any better? to an extent, i know this reasoning is flawed--allen edmonds and alden didn't invent wingtips or whatever, so why pay for them blah blah. but in the case of the j crew desert boot...i just don't get it. i feel like based on that, j crew's footwear is probably overpriced for what it is...so these are probably comparable to a cheaper stacy adams/bostonian shoe from macys (which is fine, but then you can pay less for said brands than these j crew ones)

with that being said, you can get a pair of NEW allen edmonds for like one hundred bucks more. there's a wide range of colors, and you know you're getting made in the us stuff (i know that isn't what it used to be, but still).

http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/3039210?...=searchresults

there's not as much broguing as the j crew pair, but they'll probably be a bit more durable. you'll go get them resoled if you need to because you invested the money in them. are they more expensive? yeah. but if you save for a little bit longer, you'll have something better

j crew is a pretty solid option, especially compared to other brands in the price range. i just don't think it'd be worth it in the long run. i'm the king of buying stuff right now (even if it's not great stuff, but it just catches my eye), but with nicer shoes, i told myself to wait for something i really liked. hold out for something you really want.

Dude, that's frickin insane. I literally JUST posted about those AE wingtips in the ask a question thread. Hahaha.

hnlax

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dmash1080
Dude, that's frickin insane. I literally JUST posted about those AE wingtips in the ask a question thread. Hahaha.

you and i both had the same question on new cures of ps for girlfriends (i guess i was reading that as you posted in here).

what did she say about the new cures, by the way? my girlfriend said she wanted them a lot because she liked the fit, but didn't want them because she said i would "whine at her for washing them too soon"

dmash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hnlax
you and i both had the same question on new cures of ps for girlfriends (i guess i was reading that as you posted in here).

what did she say about the new cures, by the way? my girlfriend said she wanted them a lot because she liked the fit, but didn't want them because she said i would "whine at her for washing them too soon"

I talked to the guys at Detour...both really knowledgeable guys...they said that the new cures would be a skinny jean sized right....and a petite standard is just a sized down new standard. With girls...they almost always wear PS as boyfriend jeans.

I just ordered the new cures today for her...she has a 25" waist at belly button...but drops to a 29 at hips. I ordered her a 25. I'll let you know Saturday or Monday when she receives what she thinks if you want to hold out until then...

edit: also, my girl doesn't mind not washing, but she swears that when they start smelling that I'm going to have to get rid of the smell somehow haha.

hnlax

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dmash1080
I talked to the guys at Detour...both really knowledgeable guys...they said that the new cures would be a skinny jean sized right....and a petite standard is just a sized down new standard. With girls...they almost always wear PS as boyfriend jeans.

I just ordered the new cures today for her...she has a 25" waist at belly button...but drops to a 29 at hips. I ordered her a 25. I'll let you know Saturday or Monday when she receives what she thinks if you want to hold out until then...

edit: also, my girl doesn't mind not washing, but she swears that when they start smelling that I'm going to have to get rid of the smell somehow haha.

thanks for the info! let me know how it turns out--i'll pm you as to not flood this thread (any further)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads