• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scuderia-F1

Reaction score
Originally Posted by vbuskirk
A fair number of Paneristi here, huh? Okay, here's my baby:

IMG_3349.jpg

IMG_3367.jpg

IMG_3399.jpg

IMG_3378.jpg

AWESOME "Base"!
worship.gif

gbrown_nyc

Reaction score
Question. I just bought a JLC Master Compressor Geographic. Got a smoking deal on it from Tourneau of all places (over 50% of retail). On a leather strap but I really had wanted my next watch to be on a bracelet. So I'm trying to decide whether to put the bracelet on the JLC or on my other watch, a very well loved, on its way to being a beater PAM049. I know I like the looks of the PAM on an bracelet but can't decide about the JLC. Any opinions?

I move at tortoise like speed when it comes to watch decisions, it took me 4 years to buy the PAM and another 3 to get the JLC. You can imagine the pain the bracelet decision is causing me, I'm trying to compress that down to a week.

Sterling Gillette

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been to MunichTime Watch Fair yesterday and got to take a look at the new A. Lange & Söhne "Zeitwerk". Although too big for my small wrists, it certainly looks nice. Construction is
devil.gif
of course.

tor

Reaction score
Simply said, this watch is nothing compared to all the dozens upon dozens of great watches in here. However, as the first watch I have ever bought, purchased with my first paycheck at the late age of 18 (
confused.gif
), I am proud to say that this is the first of (hopefully) many more watch purchases.

It's a Seiko 5 on a NATO strap bought from natostrap.blogspot.com, which I'm sure most of you guys know about already
smile.gif

ANeePl.jpg

jhcam8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tor
It's a Seiko 5 on a NATO strap bought from natostrap.blogspot.com, which I'm sure most of you guys know about already
smile.gif

ANeePl.jpg

That's a nice looking watch - I know Seikos don't get a lot of love here, but I think they're a good value and some of the models are quite sharp looking.

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jhcam8
That's a nice looking watch - I know Seikos don't get a lot of love here, but I think they're a good value and some of the models are quite sharp looking.

There are plenty of people here who appreciate a top quality Seiko.

DrZRM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well since Swatch group owns both Omega and ETA, technically they are in house, no?
smile.gif
Especially as Swatch is threatening to stop selling movements outside of their group after 2010.

Originally Posted by Rambo
Anyone know if they are using a new in-house movement on the Speedmaster as well?

tor

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jhcam8
Originally Posted by fingerclose
Very nice Seiko !
Thank you, I'm pretty happy with it, especially for a grand total of $72. I'm trying to save up for a Sinn 656 or a Stowa Airman Ikarus though, so I need to limit my spending for a little bit...

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Nice.

What strap is that on the ti Automatic Luminor (pic 3)?

gazman70k

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kaplan
^ Nice.

What strap is that on the ti Automatic Luminor (pic 3)?

I am going to speak Paneristi jargon now, but I am sure you are familiar with it.

The strap on the 28A is a first generation Dirks deluxe calf strap in chocolate brown. However, I have, over the years, slowly distressed it. Here are a few more pics:

standard.jpg

Start of the distressing process - its still rather dark in colour

standard.jpg

End of the distressing process - its more tan than brown.

Distressing recipe:

1) chlorine bath - 1 part pool chlorine to 8 parts water (over night)

2) salt water bath - I swam with the strap in the ocean daily for 3 months (when I was living in Aust)

3) light sand papering of the sides - very gentle to rough up the edges

It is now the softest strap I own and holds up very well to the distressing process.

Gaz

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Well done
smile.gif

I've looked into Dirk straps earlier but couldn't find an European supplier.

Btw, I'm pretty happy with this one from Manifatture Firenze. You could see a glimse of it on my 177 in a recent WAYWRN pic. It's great for the price.

tor

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gazman70k
I am going to speak Paneristi jargon now, but I am sure you are familiar with it.

Distressing recipe:

1) chlorine bath - 1 part pool chlorine to 8 parts water (over night)

2) salt water bath - I swam with the strap in the ocean daily for 3 months (when I was living in Aust)

3) light sand papering of the sides - very gentle to rough up the edges

It is now the softest strap I own and holds up very well to the distressing process.

Gaz

I mean, it looks nice, but couldn't you have just distressed it naturally by just actually wearing it a lot?

To me, going to such great lengths to distressing something like that reminds me a little too much of pre-distressed clothing, which I am not a fan of at all.

gazman70k

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kaplan
^ Well done
smile.gif

I've looked into Dirk straps earlier but couldn't find an European supplier.

Btw, I'm pretty happy with this one from Manifatture Firenze. You could see a glimse of it on my 177 in a recent WAYWRN pic. It's great for the price.

Very nice!!! I like Manifatture Firenze. Go to Paneristi's accessories corner and you'll probably find one. Having said that, the one in the photo is a 1st generation dirk strap which is characterised by the sewn in Pre-V logo buckle. Dirks no long come with those buckles.

BTW, Dirk is located in Belgium. You can email him directly: dirk . grandry @ pandora . be (remove spaces).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads