• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Late Beethoven Thread

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
This is for all your thoughts re: the late period words of Beethoven, defined as:

Cello Sonatas Op. 102, 1 & 2
Piano sonatas Op. 101, 106 (Hammerklavier), 109, 110 & 111
Bagatelles, Op. 119 & 126
Diabelli Variations, Op. 120
Missa Solemnis, Op. 123
Symphony No. 9, Op. 125*

String Quartet Op. 127, 130, 131, 132, & 135.

*Please keep all comments about the overexposed "Ode to Joy" to an absolute minimum, unless you have something original to say.

The highlighted pieces are some of my favorites but then again the string quartets are terrific.

This is my favorite performance of Opus 132: http://www.sa-cd.net/showtitle/2811

I have seen the Fry Street Quartet in person and they are terrific. My friend Ray Kimber recorded this disc and it sound terrific.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by audiophilia
His late Sonatas are pinnacles, for me.

My buddy, Bob Silverman recently recorded the Diabellis. He gave us a private concert and lecture before the recording. I think you would have enjoyed it. A difficult work, but he explained it so beautifully. His playing is tremendous.

Try to hear Gunter Wand's Beethoven 9. An amazing recording. He brings out so much of the counterpoint that other famous recordings miss.

I just got the Amadeus Quartets on the 111 Years of DGG (7 Gigs/730 tracks) that iTunes Canada priced mistakenly for $9.99! Corrected to $119.99 later!
smile.gif
The leader was a prick, but their playing is outstanding.
smile.gif

I believe Silverman did that on the Stereophile label with John Atkinson, no?

Atkinson played it at last year's RMAF as part of his presentation on music file compression and playback was Wavelength converters, Ayre preamp/amp, and Avalon Acoustic NP-2s.

thenanyu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by romafan
eh.gif
A thread for my mother-in-law. I don't fully get the 'opus' thing. Have heard that the 'odd' symphonies are the good (famous?
confused.gif
) ones. I like the morse code beginning of 5, and the story behind it (unless my dad was making it up). Amazing about the deafness, too...

* yes, i am a cretin. i cannot attend a classical concert or opera w/o
dozingoff.gif

The 'opus' thing is just a way of systematically numbering a composer's works. The odd symphonies (3, 5, 9) and one even symphony (6) are the most famous. If you are interested in getting into Beet. I would start with 3.

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thenanyu
The 'opus' thing is just a way of systematically numbering a composer's works. The odd symphonies (3, 5, 9) and one even symphony (6) are the most famous. If you are interested in getting into Beet. I would start with 3.

... _ !

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
I keep wanting to argue with this, but keep coming up short. I do tend to play Richter's Hammerklavier more often than Pollini's, but I don't have all of Richter's Beethoven.

Any recommendations on the late string quartets?

The Budapest Quartet.

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have a CD of a couple of sonatas. No. 14(?) Moonlight, & a couple of others (Pathetique?, etc.) which are nice for late listening on snowy nights....
musicboohoo[1].gif
(pretend it's a piano)

pianist is a biggie - pretty sure vlad h or alf brendel

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love op. 109, 110, 111. The Grosse Fugue is delightfully weird, like he got in a time machine and came back with all these new ideas:
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags. The fugues in Missa Solemnis are just to die for. I'm listening to the Gardiner recording right now. --Andre

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
For the late quartets, Lindsay.

Gutman

Reaction score
Manton you have opened a real can of worms here.

I am not a huge fan of late Beethoven. Symphonies 5, 6 and 7 I love, but 9 I just cannot get into. Listened to the Norrington version again last week only cos I picked the CD by accident while driving... I just have the sense that he pushed the limits too much in the later works, including the late quartets (groan), and they seem not to hold together. I realise they hold together in "technical" terms, with the endless thematic and motivic fiddling, but musically I am not so persuaded. Maybe if his later works were shorter it would help
plain.gif
They just seem to lose their way.

Mozart v Beethoven. Surprising how close late Mozart is to early/middle Beethoven in orchestal works. Piano sonatas of each are genius (Beethoven too hard for me). Violin sonatas of Beethoven much better than Mozart, and more fun to play. Not that familiar with Mozart quartets - some of these are a bit glib, but will listen further. I'd say Mozart is a bit taken for granted sometimes, whereas Beethoven is subject to endless masturbatory analysis spurred by this cult of the composer thing. Maybe because people think Mozart is "facile", and Beethoven "hard". Listening to Mozart afresh can be a real ear-opener.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Whew! I saw the thread title and thought perhaps Manton was suggesting dear Mr. Beethoven had passed on. What a relief to know it is just about his more recent music.

FiveFiveFive

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
For the late Sonatas, there is only Pollini.
I respect Pollini's technique, but his playing just doesn't move me. I've always turned to Richter, Gulda, and Sofronitzky. Even some of Helene Grimaud's Beethoven is really, really good stuff. If I want more subdued Beethoven, I'll go with Gilels over Pollini.
Originally Posted by audiophilia
Try to hear Gunter Wand's Beethoven 9. An amazing recording. He brings out so much of the counterpoint that other famous recordings miss.
Wand must have recorded the Ninth about 50 times. I've heard three of them, and they're all incredible, head and shoulders above Giulini or Karajan, which are the other two recordings I own. If you really wanna be blown away by Beethoven at its best, though, try Kleiber conducting the 5th symphony.
Originally Posted by Gutman
I am not a huge fan of late Beethoven. Symphonies 5, 6 and 7 I love, but 9 I just cannot get into. Listened to the Norrington version again last week only cos I picked the CD by accident while driving
I know you picked it by accident, but there's the problem -- the Norrington recording is a POS. Is it the one with the London Classical Players? That's like basing your opinion of the "Rach 3" off David Helfgott's recording.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Pollini is the only one who plays all the notes, or at least in whose playing you can hear all the notes.

I realize that the majority opinion of him is that he is a robot, but I don't care. I really hear Beethoven in Pollini, and that is what matters (to me).

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Hammerklavier, first movement:

Typical AB, AB' sonata form opening:

A Section -- B flat major section (opening themes); 1-44; 44 measures
B Section -- G major section (second groupd of themes); 45-125; 81 measures
*repeat*
A -- B flat major section (opening theme; identical); 44 measures
B' -- G major section (changed at the very end this time); 45-129; 85 measures

[[The above is about half the movement, timewise]]

C -- E flat major development section of main theme; sort of quasi-fugal; 130-192; 63 measures
D -- very short 8 measure interlude; C major (193-200)
E -- D major, picks up theme from B -- short section, only 12 measures (201-213)
F -- B major; recapitulates opening theme; also only 12 measures (214-226)
G -- Back to B flat major; restates first part of opening theme, then develops second part; lengthy quote from second part, still in B flat major formally, but chords modified with flats to change key sound; 39 measures (227-266)
H -- B minor, but a quote from the first (B flat major) theme; sounds rather sinister in this key; 6 measures (267-272)
I -- back again to B flat major; lengthy quites from the first G major section, but in this key; first quoted, then considerably developed; (273-405 [end]); 132 measures.

Ten key changes, and some of the most extraordinary choices imaginable. Look how short some of the sections are.

ppllzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i am playing the last mvmt of hammerklavier, such a terrible sounding song... cannot imagine anyone listening to it out of their own volition

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads