• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Definitive Guide to Slim Fit Shirts

StennyH2

Reaction score
Since my last post I went to: HM, Uniqlo, Express, BR, and a bunch of other stores mentioned in this thread and couldn't find anything that fit me. The main trouble is I can't find anything that can accommodate my broad shoulders but is small enough in the waist. Surely in this huge city of New York there's something out there for me?
frown.gif

Originally Posted by StennyH2
I am 6'4", 170 pounds. My shoulders are pretty broad - around 19 inches, but my chest and waist are thin (30.5-31 inch waist). Ideal sleeve length is around 36". I am looking for slim V-shaped casual shirts with long sleeves and total shirt length enough to tuck in. I want both casual and dress shirts, but my priority is casual long sleeve shirts.

I haven't really found anything that works for me. I have ended up liking vintage shirts made of stretch polyester in sizes too small for me because the shoulders will stretch to accommodate my width, but then the chest and waist will taper in. The only trouble is the sleeve and total shirt length are usually to short.

I've read this thread without any clear winners. Is anybody about my dimensions? Any recommendations?

I live in NYC.

Lendial

Reaction score
Originally Posted by John_Edward
I believe it was mentioned earlier in the topic (I can't be arsed to look as it's become infinitely long): Express has got decently trim slim-fitting shirts (MX1 I believe?). The quality's not exactly brilliant, but for $40 a shirt, it's fine. Give it a go next time you're at the mall.
You mean 1MX fitted right? i actually have a few 1MX modern(apparently its the less slim version) in my closet, still too baggy on the sides (and poofs in the back) when tucked in but i will stop by to try the slim version later. The recently purchased shirt from h&m fits like it was tailored and has honestly made the rest of my dress shirts obsolete in terms of fit. I'm just worried it's going to fall apart after 2 wears or 1 wash. Between express and h&m , which has better fabric quality/durability? cut - fabric quality/durability - price point , you just cant have all 3 it seems. Do you know of any other brands within reach of a broke college student? I really don't want to shell out 150++ for every shirt. Thanks again.

Jimbo26

Reaction score
Express fitted shirts have higher armholes and darts in the back, so they fit pretty slim. Quality is less than H&M, though -- threads were coming out after just a couple wears and they really don't hold up to washing very well. Material feels weird, too, it's not soft at all.

Ben Sherman makes good slim-fitting shirts that I can usually find for $30-40 at department/discount stores. I also tried on a Brooks Brothers extra slim fit shirt that fit pretty well, I'm hoping they come out with more patterns and do a 3/$159 sale sometime soon.

John_Edward

Reaction score
Yeah, the 1MX fitted are the slim ones.

Quality's definitely not great. I'll see what happens after a few washes.

An H&M finally opened so I'll look into their shirts. I do hope I'm surprised.

I'll give the Ben Sherman's a go if I see any. I can't stand button-down collars, pockets, or logos on a shirt so I can't recall having ever seen shirts under that mark I liked. Then again, the good stuff's not going to show up at Nordstrom Rack.

whymakemedothis

Reaction score
Express 1mx shirts are not great, not good, not bad, but TERRIBLE. not being hyperbolic -- ive had to throw away literally 7 shirts or so before i learned my lesson

John_Edward

Reaction score
They fell apart, shrunk, or are generally not good value for money?

I had never bought anything from them until last week. I purchased two shirts. They fit perfectly before washing, and still fit adequately afterwards, but have shrunk a smidgen. I've also noticed that because of the 'stretch cotton' some of my jumpers shed whereas it never happens on other shirts.

Oh well. Perhaps a lesson learnt.

Skyro

Reaction score
You can get express shirts for under 25 bucks each when they have their 30 off 75 coupons (which they have all the time). The feel of the fabric isn't soft at all but I don't know what you expect from a 25 dollar shirt.

For those who have tried the various brands, how does the fit of H&M, Zara, and BB extra slim fit compare to express? Quality issues aside, express has been the best OTR fit for me I've found so far.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Skyro
You can get express shirts for under 25 bucks each when they have their 30 off 75 coupons (which they have all the time). The feel of the fabric isn't soft at all but I don't know what you expect from a 25 dollar shirt.

Benetton often has good sales, thus you can pick up a shirt for around $30 - $40, and they are definitely slim-fit.

whymakemedothis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by John_Edward
They fell apart, shrunk, or are generally not good value for money?

I had never bought anything from them until last week. I purchased two shirts. They fit perfectly before washing, and still fit adequately afterwards, but have shrunk a smidgen. I've also noticed that because of the 'stretch cotton' some of my jumpers shed whereas it never happens on other shirts.

Oh well. Perhaps a lesson learnt.

They wrinkle permanently if you so much as stare at them.
They shrink more than normal in the wash.
Theyre cut too short relative to body size -- meant for mall kids to wear untucked
They STAIN. Noticeably in the collar and pit area... very high occurance..

BB Extra Slim is similar in fit but worlds apart in quality

John_Edward

Reaction score
I'd rather have a Brookers Brothers shirt, especially if there's a three for $150 offer, but I'm quite particular in my shirts (no pockets, logos, button collars). I'd buy a few of their extra slim shirts just as soon as they've got one that fits that description. Perhaps that'll coincide with a greater range of colors as well.

StennyH2

Reaction score
The Express slim shirts are too narrow in the shoulders and not cut long enough for me.

Does H&M have casual slim shirts? I didn't see any.

404Jeff

Reaction score
Hey Guys

Any guidance for me?

I like the slim fits, but I also like shirts with no pockets and non- button down AND prefer buttons to cuff links...

I ordered a batch of Charles Tyrwhitt slim fits, but despite the neck size being right on (16 1/2) the shoulder seam hit too high on the clavicle, and my normal sleeve length (34) was too short.

I read on the forum that the C-T slims are narrow in the shoulder and I am broad in the shoulders...

Apart from the odd Boss etc shirt at Saks or Nieman, I am really at a loss about where to find the

spread collar, no pocket, broad shoulder slim fit sans french cuffs....sounds like I need to go custom?

John_Edward

Reaction score
Originally Posted by 404Jeff
I ordered a batch of Charles Tyrwhitt slim fits, but despite the neck size being right on (16 1/2) the shoulder seam hit too high on the clavicle, and my normal sleeve length (34) was too short. spread collar, no pocket, broad shoulder slim fit sans french cuffs....sounds like I need to go custom?
We've got the same problems and desire the same shirt. I'm really curious to know if the vast majority of people prefer the pocket or if they're simply not fussed one way or another. It's definitely a deal-breaker for me. What're your height and weight? Do let me know if you come across something tennable. I intend to try the nicer H&M shirts this weekend. I do hope I'm surprised.

StennyH2

Reaction score
Bump on this question. Any really skinny dudes as tall as I am and with wide shoulders? I just want some casual shirts, plaid would be great.

Originally Posted by StennyH2
I am 6'4", 170 pounds. My shoulders are pretty broad - around 19 inches, but my chest and waist are thin (30.5-31 inch waist). Ideal sleeve length is around 36". I am looking for slim V-shaped casual shirts with long sleeves and total shirt length enough to tuck in.

I haven't really found anything that works for me. I have ended up liking vintage shirts made of stretch polyester in sizes too small for me because the shoulders will stretch to accommodate my width, but then the chest and waist will taper in. The only trouble is the sleeve and total shirt length are usually to short.

Is anybody about my dimensions? Any recommendations?

I live in NYC.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads