• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Self Edge SF/NY/LA/PDX/MX - Japanese Denim & Leather, Top Notch Basics, Very Nice Jewelry + Eyewear, & More

ajchen

Reaction score
This is true if denim is unsanforized... all 3sixteen denim is sanforized so there's no need to soak jeans before hemming.

Also there are no SL's with coating on them. The ST-210 is the only coated denim we make.

Originally Posted by KitAkira
Hemming is generally done post-soak and if you soak the SLs you'll lose the coating

kiya

Brand Representative
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by littlebeast
Kiya,

Will you soon be getting a restock on the flathead chambray shirt or the flathead flannels?

Yup, we'll have a new run of Flat Head chambrays (finally!) at both stores and online in about a week in indigo and beige.

dmash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Kiya, do you have any black jeans, around a 32" waist, with around a 12" thigh?

Something similar to my Flathead F380's size 32 but in black.

kiya

Brand Representative
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

mlyngard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fashunhor
It seems like everyone is loving the 3sixteen denim. From the pics the slim cut seems kind of feminine the way it tapers in at the knee. Kind of like a super slim boot cut. Maybe I need to give them a second look.

Knee taper helps with 'knee bag' (help me out here if there's a better term), i.e. - knee stretch. Also helps with building and setting creasing behind the knee which many like (including me). Skull 5010's fit the same.

3sixteen stretch 1.5" in the waist according to SelfEdge. That's APC territory. If you've owned APC, Jean Shop or any other stretchy jean, this is a smart cut for the knee. It'll stretch to look 'normal' in no time, and no knee bagginess.

mlyngard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by splattered
Really? I just figured i'd get them hemmed to a larger length and then after a soak they'd shrink to something do-able... thats what i was told to do anyway

Splattered - thanks for the blow-by-blow on the 3sixtens. I'm this close to ordering a pair along with the Dry Bones I'm going for in a few days.

Keep us posted, because for only 30 bucks more than APC, I'm liking what I see.

Can you give us a review of the 3sixteen compared to the denim of the APC? Details you liked?

Would also be curious about how the top block of them compares to the APC fit when new, which I don't like much.

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ajchen
This is true if denim is unsanforized... all 3sixteen denim is sanforized so there's no need to soak jeans before hemming. Also there are no SL's with coating on them. The ST-210 is the only coated denim we make.
That's what I meant, whatever

splattered

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mlyngard
Splattered - thanks for the blow-by-blow on the 3sixtens. I'm this close to ordering a pair along with the Dry Bones I'm going for in a few days.

Keep us posted, because for only 30 bucks more than APC, I'm liking what I see.

Can you give us a review of the 3sixteen compared to the denim of the APC? Details you liked?

Would also be curious about how the top block of them compares to the APC fit when new, which I don't like much.

Errr my experience w this stuff is pretty limited, i don't know what kind of a review i could provide... I guess i'll post back after i've worn them for awhile.

FYI i laid the SL-100x over my worn APC NS and the cut was near identical from what i could tell... the cut was maybe a tiny bit wider all the way down which falls in line with the posted measurements on selfedge/context.

Not sure about the top block... like what do you want to know exactly?

I like the hardware... the 3sixteen logo detail on the top button is pretty spiffy and i liked the cross stitch details on the sides of the back pockets or whatever. I like that they do that but still leave the actual pockets blank.

I'm sending back the black dry coated for black straights, the slims just seem TOO slim for me. My nudie slim jims strangle my knees and lower thighs and these slims are slimmer from mid thigh all the way down. Don't think i could rock em comfortably and i'm a pretty skinny guy.

mlyngard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by splattered
Errr my experience w this stuff is pretty limited, i don't know what kind of a review i could provide... I guess i'll post back after i've worn them for awhile.

FYI i laid the SL-100x over my worn APC NS and the cut was near identical from what i could tell... the cut was maybe a tiny bit wider all the way down which falls in line with the posted measurements on selfedge/context.

Not sure about the top block... like what do you want to know exactly?

I like the hardware... the 3sixteen logo detail on the top button is pretty spiffy and i liked the cross stitch details on the sides of the back pockets or whatever. I like that they do that but still leave the actual pockets blank.

I'm sending back the black dry coated for black straights, the slims just seem TOO slim for me. My nudie slim jims strangle my knees and lower thighs and these slims are slimmer from mid thigh all the way down. Don't think i could rock em comfortably and i'm a pretty skinny guy.

Your newer eyes are just as valid as someone with more 'experience'. All great info.

Does the denim feel as smooth as the APC? Nice weight? Looks pretty close.

I don't like the top block of the APC because it makes me look like I have girl hips until the jeans break in. Not sure why, probably just the top block cut, but it's the only fit that does that on me.

splattered

Reaction score
3Sixteen - second glance.

I had to drop my cousin off at home during lunch so i took the time to look over the 3sixteen again.

The slim dry coated are really nice, just too skinny for me...

The Indigo straights are nice but i looked over them closer since i am wanting to keep them and noticed some things that disappointed me.

The stitching on this pair for some reason is very sloppy. Loose threads here and there on the ends and i'm worried they will come out with wear.

The extra stitching shooting off of the back pockets are just an extra 2 inch stitch instead of the actual pocket stitching coming all the way off the pockets onto the jeans in a constant line. So they just stitched the back pockets on like normal and then added a 2 inch horizontal and vertical line on the top outer edges. That would be fine except the extra stitches don't fall totally in line with the existing pocket stitching showing denim between the lines and it looks a little weird if you actually pay attention.

The pocket stitching on the left pocket veer OFF of the pocket down on the bottom before they cut across, so they actually dart to the left onto the jeans itself and then back onto the pocket along the bottom. This is clearly a mistake as its only the left pocket and the black dry coated stitching is 100% better and all in line.

Smooth... i dunno? It seems like both APC and 3six are rough? The weight seems about the same... and the feel/quality seem on par with APC. It really just sorta seems like the SL straights are their version of the NS with nice extra little details.

As for the top block cut... haha i don't really know. Like i said they're cut very similarly so you can prob expect close to the same?

grundletaint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
that vest is sick. the khakis are sick. i looked at my bank account. now i am sick.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads