• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

shoe crazy, cannot find anything that works

Mathew J

Reaction score
So I am losing it, tried a buch of different Allen Edmonds, the Park Ave, Fifth Ave, Strand, Weybridge, Hale....none of them "fit"

I wonder if it is worth it to go back to the store, tell them to resize me and try again....

I started with a pair of 10.5EEE hales, they were too wide laced closed and then were kinda sloppy

Picked up a pair of 10.5E fifth aves, those the sides were tight and figured blisters were going to be mandatory.

Swapped them for 10.5EEEs in the fifth aves which are comfy but now when I stand down they look like this:

DSCN4273.jpg

I also grabbed a pair of Florsheim Kenmoors in the same size and they do something similar so those are going back too....

any thoughts on shoes for wide feet with not so wide heels in allen edmonds appreciated.

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Park Ave, Fifth Ave and Strand are all on the #5 last so if one of those doesn't fit you in a particular size/width, the other two won't either. Since 10.5E is snug and 10.5EEE is sloppy, how about a 10.5EE? Fwiw, some members go down .5 size and up 1 width from their usual size on the #5 last.

braised

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mathew J
So I am losing it, tried a buch of different Allen Edmonds, the Park Ave, Fifth Ave, Strand, Weybridge, Hale....none of them "fit"

I wonder if it is worth it to go back to the store, tell them to resize me and try again....

I started with a pair of 10.5EEE hales, they were too wide laced closed and then were kinda sloppy

Picked up a pair of 10.5E fifth aves, those the sides were tight and figured blisters were going to be mandatory.

Swapped them for 10.5EEEs in the fifth aves which are comfy but now when I stand down they look like this:

DSCN4273.jpg

I also grabbed a pair of Florsheim Kenmoors in the same size and they do something similar so those are going back too....

any thoughts on shoes for wide feet with not so wide heels in allen edmonds appreciated.

Why don't you tie the shoe and close the facings so that they fit better around you ankles? Do you need a baby sitter?

B

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Goodness man, your feet are wider than a triple E? I hope (for your sake) they don't resemble these.
OrangutanFeetF1004.jpg

You may need either bespoke shoes or surgery.

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by braised
Why don't you tie the shoe and close the facings so that they fit better around you ankles? Do you need a baby sitter? B
The shoes look too narrow at the ball, so the lacing and ankle fit is neither here nor there. You should go down to New York on a Saturday and visit Moulded Shoe http://mouldedshoe.com/ They will get you into Aldens. Alden makes shoes that are narrow at the ankle and wide at the ball. Snap, Hampton, Copley are lasts that might be good for this. Not sure how the Barrie fits at the ankle in wider widths, but you can always order Aldens in split sizes if necessary. The medium widths are B/D, B in the ankle and D in the ball. Maybe you need a B/EEE or something like that if there's not a last that is shaped well enough for you. Never been to Moulded Shoe myself, but I'd be there tomorrow if I was starting over and was within striking distance of NYC. Use the search function, IIRC there's been a lot of glowing anecdotes about them solving problems with this. This trip would save you a lot of time, probably money (in the long run), be better for your health (that fit does not look good for your feet), and most important save you from the cruel childish taunts of the internet playground.

Mathew J

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Man Of Lint
Goodness man, your feet are wider than a triple E? I hope (for your sake) they don't resemble these.
OrangutanFeetF1004.jpg

You may need either bespoke shoes or surgery.

Pretty spot on, and on a brannock I only measure out as a 10.5 E or an 11D when I read it but for whatever reason my feet are odd.

Mathew J

Reaction score
Originally Posted by braised
Why don't you tie the shoe and close the facings so that they fit better around you ankles? Do you need a baby sitter?

B

Tried that, this picture was before I straight laced them and cranked them down...still had a gap that was pretty bad.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a similar fit problem with some AEs, and I have D width feet. The ankle opening kinda flops open like that.

I suggest trying other brands. Try finding a sleek shoe which is made in widths, going up one size and in the max width available. For example, Crockett Jones Belgrave in F width, in a larger length than normal.

On the other hand, is it uncomfortable? If not, you might just want to wear them.

Mathew J

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
I have a similar fit problem with some AEs, and I have D width feet. The ankle opening kinda flops open like that.

I suggest trying other brands. Try finding a sleek shoe which is made in widths, going up one size and in the max width available. For example, Crockett Jones Belgrave in F width, in a larger length than normal.

On the other hand, is it uncomfortable? If not, you might just want to wear them.

No they are rather comfortable from what I can tell, in fact one of the most comfortable shoes I have owned.

I have tried E, D, and EEE all of which open up like this and I know I am a wide foot.

Mathew J

Reaction score
Originally Posted by srivats
From the pics it seems that your pronate heavily ... Do you have flat feet?

I second the recommendation for visiting moulded shoe. You should definitely be able to find atleast one Alden last that fits you.

From what my podiatrist has told me in the past I have an extremely flat foot, she said it was something I was born with and suggested arch inserts.

Mathew J

Reaction score
Thanks all

I think for my next pair of shoes I will consider aldens from what everyone is saying, however due to cost and availability I have been hesitant to try them.

I actually visited the Allen Edmonds store today and was told by the sales associate who seemed rather knowledgable that I not only have flat feet but also a low instep as well as wide feet, he said that nothing which they offered would fit "perfectly", the first suggestion was to use tongue pads to make the instep fill out, however upon noticing I had some room in the toe he had me try the fifth aves in a half size (so a 10 EEE instead of a 10.5EEE) which seemed to fit a bit better without much gaping on the sides. The only area of concern was that I thought when I walked I could feel my right big toe hit the top of the toe box but that might have been my over thinking about things as I had plenty of length still (over a thumbswidth on the left and about one on the right) and the sides fit alot better.

I am visiting my podiatrist tomorrow to see what they suggest if anything, also they gave me a mismatched pair of shoes by accident today so I have to go back to Allen Edmonds for the correct shoe.

Thanks for the help/suggestions.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads