• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many miles did you RIDE today?

Pilot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by California Dreamer
Sounds like me. I'm working on it by making my rides more intense rather than cruising. Instead of shifting down to the bottom gear when I get to a long hill, I limit myself to 2nd-bottom and see how I go. I've surprised myself - got up both of the bad hills on my commute without downshifting. So I will do it again in one higher gear, etc. I am also, on the advice of my trainer, taking a long steady climb on the morning ride in the highest gear I can manage. So far working well -shaved 10 minutes off my commute time.
If your legs are strong enough to handle it, take hills in a middle gear in the rear and smallest gear in your front chainring. You'll be at a lower RPM but you will ride the hill at a faster pace. I'd rather exert a little more effort for a shorter amount of time than struggle up a hill at a really slow pace with light pedal pressure.

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stylish Pilot
If your legs are strong enough to handle it, take hills in a middle gear in the rear and smallest gear in your front chainring. You'll be at a lower RPM but you will ride the hill at a faster pace. I'd rather exert a little more effort for a shorter amount of time than struggle up a hill at a really slow pace with light pedal pressure.

Thanks for the tip; I will try that.

Mind you, Melbourne is flat as a tack really. Bit rich to call our slopes "hills".

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
12 miles yesterday to and from work. (Turns out the route is longer than I originally measured.)

b

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
About 12 miles of mtn. biking trail today. First time on a bike in about 2 years. Loved it, but bike was not tuned properly - should have been more thorough prepping it.

I am very (seriously) excited for the soreness tomorrow. It will be a long-missed feeling.

The Swedish Chef

Reaction score
Managed to get out on the trails twice last week, both times for an hour or so. Starting to get cold and wet over here so it time to break out the winter gear.

The Swedish Chef

Reaction score
Drag this thread back into life again.

Out on the trails both days at the weekend, same 27KM loop, getting very wet and muddy in places with the added delight of ice covered rocks. Forecast for this coming week looks like running is back on the agenda.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Weather should be nice this week in DC. I expect everyone will be out riding. I'm going to try to ride in to work Thu and Fri.

b

JoelF

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Getting a bit chilly here for road biking but this just came in so looking forward to some riding on local trails, weather is absolutely perfect for that.

8102-31_d.jpg

Ludeykrus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been averaging between 7-10 miles commuting every other day. Weather and work have kept me from doing more.

I made this comment to someone earlier, funny how people think around here:

"Apparently, riding a bicycle around town in anything less than full spandex race regalia makes you poor or a drunk with multiple DUI's."

A friend of the family was talking to my mother and mentioned, "You know...I know Ludey's liberal and all, but I saw him riding a bicycle through town yesterday. Is he poor?"

This is the ~275-300 lb woman riding around in her Denali everywhere...

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Did 16 last night, in about 45 minutes. Hope to clock similar mileage tonight.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
Did 16 last night, in about 45 minutes. Hope to clock similar mileage tonight.

Mileage is clocked?
eh.gif

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ludeykrus
"Apparently, riding a bicycle around town in anything less than full spandex race regalia makes you poor or a drunk with multiple DUI's."

What is sad is that many people think you simply can't ride with that gear. As if riding to work or around town in regular clothes is somehow...I don't know, just impossible I guess.

b

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads