• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Double leather sole versus single

mg428

Reaction score
Is there such thing like double leather soled shoes would not crease as much as single leather soled shoes?

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Double sole? Jimmy likes them:

thejimmy.jpg

Jimmy+Shoes.jpg

kolecho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mg428
Is there such thing like double leather soled shoes would not crease as much as single leather soled shoes?

Singles crease just a tad more than doubles at the get go, but after a while there is no difference IMHO.

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
double sole tapering to a single sole is the way to go.
teacha.gif

Originally Posted by kolecho
Singles crease just a tad more than doubles at the get go, but after a while there is no difference IMHO.
- Listen to this MAN!

FWIW all my Vashhhhh are double sole tapering to a single.

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by upnorth
Foo is too shy to admit it but double sole adds height.

No, I can attest to having advanced the storm welt/single soles argument, which he accepted. Can't remember what thread it was.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone have pictures comparing a double sole tapering to single vs. single vs. double?

I was tempted to pick up Vass shoes with double taper to single but opted for a single sole, because, quite frankly, I am happy with the look of my Vass with single sole and don't really know to what extent if any, the double to single taper would have on the look and feel of the shoe. I'd only be getting the double to single taper just because it was recommended on SF, and I'm not falling for that. I imagine looks wise, with the shoes on your feet, the double taper to single is undetectable (I suppose like a fiddle back waist - but a thing of beauty I appreciate as part of the craft). True?

Son Of Saphir

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
I didn't know that. It's a little strange because they asked me to confirm I really wanted a simple double sole on that pair because the other pairs in my order were double tapering to single at the waist. I did confirm that's what I wanted.

Goyser has 3 stitch with Vass,
1 hold welt to midsole
1 hold welt, midsole and outsole
1 hold welt to upper to insole.
lmpossible to do other way,
double sole is crucial in the construction
3 stitch make extra strong shoe for doubles,
extra stitch hold crucial midsole

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I use single soles on most oxfords, doubles tapering to singles on most derbies, ands doubles on most boots.

Son Of Saphir

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
me prefer double for comfort,
but prefer single for fast walks,
double for slow walks and lot of standing,
double sole always files ends up fast

motorpsycho67

Reaction score
I'd never wear a single sole. Just don't seem like they'd be comfortable, nor do they look as good IMO.

I wear vintage Kenmoors. Just picked up my third pair, and they're NOS. I'm considering going to a triple sole on one pair (I love those big tanks!). I'm also going to dye a pair dark olive green, like these old Worthmore longwings....

OliveGreenImperials3-1.jpg

archetypal_yuppie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm very curious to know what contraptions Sarkozy has in his shoes. Rumors are he tries to add about something like 4 inches with his high heels.

phailing101

Reaction score
Originally Posted by imatlas
They do take a while to break in though, and until the "hinge" develops there tends to be more heel slippage (which may cause blisters if the shoes are snug in the heel).

Have others experienced this? I just received a pair of double soled shoes I ordered and was about to send them back for a 1/2 size smaller because my heel slips a bit while I walk.

This is my first pair of double soles so I'm wondering if this issue will stop once they are broken in?

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by phailing101
Have others experienced this? I just received a pair of double soled shoes I ordered and was about to send them back for a 1/2 size smaller because my heel slips a bit while I walk.

This is my first pair of double soles so I'm wondering if this issue will stop once they are broken in?

The shoes will break in after a dozen wearings or so.

cmacey

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ManofKent
You don't feel stones/uneven ground as much through a double sole.

+1! That's one of the compelling reasons I had a couple pair of my shoes made with double leather soles...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads