• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Red Wing Gentleman's Traveler

erdawe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fidgeteer
Thanks for the helpful reply! Thanks, too, for the link to Alden Shoes of Carmel. Since I don't see a Boots Section here at SF, I assume you're suggesting I check the boots section on the Alden site.

I wasn't clear, I meant to say check the boots selection on the alden of carmel website. There are makers of other boots that would fit your description other than Aldens, but the quality is nice and prices may work for you. Also, you could check out boots such as Loake's from http://www.pediwear.co.uk/ if the alden's are too heavy on your wallet. Try looking around this site and others if you have time to research.

This thread may be worth a look too.
http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...twear+sneakers

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ArliHawk`
Guess my question was premature. This day, the 3rd day of wear, was the first time it didn't hurt there. The crepe sole fits great. Another question, if you would indulge me, how do the soles hold up? One comment I read on Zappo said one reviewer had to resole them yearly.

I got mine around christmas last winter, and wore them for around 3 months in rotation before summer, and the heel of the sole shows very little wear. I´ll be very surprised if I have to resole them in the next couple of years. But, I rotate these with 3-4 other pairs aswell (even though the 8138s probably get the most wear), so it might be a different thing if you only have one pair.

Fidgeteer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by erdawe
Also, you could check out boots such as Loake's from http://www.pediwear.co.uk/ if the alden's are too heavy on your wallet. Try looking around this site and others if you have time to research. This thread may be worth a look too.
http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...twear+sneakers

Excellent: You've given me a two places to look, a relevant thread and a mini-guide to boot care. Thanks for that. It's always helpful to be able to look for specific features (such as rubber soles and Goodyear welted construction). Your recommendations seem to indicate you feel the GT is fine for casual wear but perhaps not in the environment I've described.

I've read a dozen or so threads on SF and bought Sno-Seal in advance of the actual boot. I have fair time before winter, but probably not before seasonal sales and discounts end. One thing to make clear: Though I'm from elsewhere originally, I now live in the States. The British site to which you've linked seems to do worldwide shipping, which is helpful (and perhaps why you linked). That seems not to be true of other Loake vendors: the two rather provisional stores yielded by Google shopping.

themidship22

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
Are these the earlier Horween GTs? Mine look nothing like this, my leather looks much stiffer or oilier

I honestly don't know. I got this last christmas. They were ordered from Zappos. No logo on the side so i'd imagine they are 9011.. right?

kelim

Reaction score
Hate to be the one keeping the sizing discussion alive, but I've got a quick question.

My new Iron Rangers fit pretty snug and I'm afraid I might have sized down too much. I can just reach the tip of the shoe with my big toe - but my pinky and 4th toes pretty much always hit the sides. Will a size bigger end this problem, or are they just that narrow? And how much will the breaking in relieve this problem? If a larger size will help I'm probably going to send them back, but if the break-in will provide a bit more space in the width, I guess I'm just going to try that.

tia.

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^From my RW experience, which however does not include IR, they are too small if you touch the tip with your big toe, and stretching will do nothing about.

upnorth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you initially downsized more than 1, than sizing up would help. If you feel width is your real problem, then return them for EE widths, if possible (not with cultizm, they are all D widths).

In my experience, breaking in or "moulding" may alleviate some of the problems with heel slippage and improve fit slightly (with regards to width). However, these red wings have tough SOB leathers that take a while to break in. If you are feeling pain the moment you put it on, then "breaking in" ain't gonna help much. Also the break in will most likely on affect the width at the ball of the feet (which is the widest part) and not where the toes are at.

I had an issue with it being a little narrow but I did not opt for the EE width due to the fact that I didn't want it to look bulbous on me. Sizing wise, I was advised after being measured on the Brannock device to go for 11, which is true to my other dress shoes sizes. A little long, but not terribly so. I hate tight shoes to begin with. If they are loose, I slip a tongue pad or a gel insole. Especially with boots, if I walked all day, my feet can gain as much as 3/4 size. And every time someone walks, the feet actually moves a good bit forward in the shoe, so if one take the downsizing to the extreme, their toes might hit the front when walking.

I personally feel that some people take the downsizing bit far too seriously. FWIW, I was measured at a Red Wing Authorised dealer.

kelim

Reaction score
Seems like I'm in for an exchange. Thanks alot for the advice.

Fidgeteer

Reaction score
Quick question, kelim: How far down did you size?

rOeLez

Reaction score
hey there
biggrin.gif

i want to get my self a RW 875 leather , my true size is 11 so what size should i get ?

mrbojangles928

Reaction score
Has anyone used Kiwi oxblood polish on their Black Cherry GT's? The neutral polish just isn't doing it for me and I wonder if the oxblood polish will give that nice red dr. marten style shine.

percypersimmon

Reaction score
Hey everybody,

I've lurked for a while, and read every single reply on this thread, and finally pulled the trigger on an 8.5 GTs in the Black Cherry. I won't chime in with sizing questions
smile.gif

Just wanted to give you a heads up that I found them below $200 @ papashoes.com. The list is $210 and some change but if you sign up for their email list they give you a 10% promo code. The best price I could find...just wanted to thank all of you for all the great information.

chethondo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kelim
Hate to be the one keeping the sizing discussion alive, but I've got a quick question.

My new Iron Rangers fit pretty snug and I'm afraid I might have sized down too much. I can just reach the tip of the shoe with my big toe - but my pinky and 4th toes pretty much always hit the sides. Will a size bigger end this problem, or are they just that narrow? And how much will the breaking in relieve this problem? If a larger size will help I'm probably going to send them back, but if the break-in will provide a bit more space in the width, I guess I'm just going to try that.

tia.

I did the same thing with my rugged classics x j crew. I went down a 1/2 size from my normal shoe size and I can almost touch the tip of the shoe with my big toe. I thought about just sticking them out and seeing if they broke in correctly, but my feet hurt yesterday after wearing them for 6 hours the night before. I've already ordered the 1/2 size up and will be selling these on ebay or here.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mrbojangles928
Has anyone used Kiwi oxblood polish on their Black Cherry GT's? The neutral polish just isn't doing it for me and I wonder if the oxblood polish will give that nice red dr. marten style shine.

I use kiwi cordovan/bordeaux on the black cherry.....you wont get as high of a shine as on DMs (esp if ya got the MIE docs) but you'll get a shine that looks good

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads