• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Building a new computer

brimley

Reaction score
OP, really seems like you want two computers to me. You're planning on putting TWO 48xxs in an HTPC?? You're going to have a hell of a time shoehorning all that into a mATX case without a couple of real turbine fans. It doesn't seem like money is an issue, rock two boxes. Or, if it needs to be one box, at least get full sized case to handle your airflow needs (antec solo is a beast for air and noise).

Also, i7 seems overkill for gaming/movies/etc. Straight Core 2 Duo would be fine, just make sure it's 45 nm. For a dedicated HTPC (and gaming too) the AMD options are very nice. You want high architecture but low power here, you're not doing anything with the CPU and it will keep your total heat/power needs down.

Different strokes and all, but my recent Core 2 build with a big quiet box, big CPU heatsink, and passive cooling on the GPU is the perfect computer for me.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
Your question, if you were halfway intelligent would have answered itself by now. Can you run modern hardware on Win98SE? No.

So you will be running and older, slower, single core processor. I'm not sure why that's so hard to figure out.

Don't worry about it.

Isn't it obvious? He'll just write code and drivers for Win98SE to utilize all 4 cores in an i7 and support a Radeon HD 5870.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whiteslashasian
Don't worry about it.

Isn't it obvious? He'll just write code and drivers for Win98SE to utilize all 4 cores in an i7 and support a Radeon HD 5870.

Rewriting the OS Kernel from the ground up is, from what I understand, what it would take to utilize multi core architecture. It's not as simple as writing a driver or a patch. That's part of the reason why Windows switched to the NT Kernel with Win2k. When you have to rewrite the OS, You aren't really running it anymore, now are you.
smile.gif

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Alias
Guys his name is coldarchon. He probably LARPs.

Rewriting the OS Kernel from the ground up is, from what I understand, is what it would take to utilize multi core architecture. It's not as simple as writing a driver or a patch. That's part of the reason why Windows switched to the NT Kernel with Win2k. When you have to rewrite the OS, You aren't really running it anymore, now are you.
smile.gif

I can foresee the reply:

Originally Posted by coldarchon
Lighting bolt! Lighting bolt! ...

coldarchon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So you will be running and older, slower, single core processor. I'm not sure why that's so hard to figure out.

just in case you didn't know, single core processors are faster than each core of multi-core processors of personal computers of today. so by your words the multi-cores are weaker, by my definition they are better .

and yes, I'm waiting that you show me where I said you need weaker processors ..

I forgot that a c64 will run winamp 5, opera 10 with 12 tabs open, several IM programs, run video compression while playing Crysis at the same time too. I also forgot that I can do all this on my PS3.

very funny, no wait - it's not. sry you didn't get the point ..

I built a performance PC to play all the games I want at the frame rates I want and with the image quality I want (TAA, DX10, and HIGH resolutions; most console games do not render at 1080p) along with being able to store, play, and more importantly edit all my multimedia and come in a non-cumbersome package (let's face it, those console OS's are not built well for all of these things). Has it occurred to you that the OP wants to do all these things as well?

it did my friend when I said I rest my case. because your computer is just there to show off ..

Also, have you ever played a first person shooter on a console? It's the worst experience imaginable.

oh I played goldeneye for a while, it became game of the year for every system although it was only released on the n64 ..

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
just in case you didn't know, single core processors are faster than each core of multi-core processors of personal computers of today. so by your words the multi-cores are weaker, by my definition they are better .
Um... WHAT? Seriously, you have no idea what you are talking about.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
just in case you didn't know, single core processors are faster than each core of multi-core processors of personal computers of today.
This is a meaningless observation. and no they aren't. And even the few single core processors that do have higher clock speeds, (which I take it is what you mean) have much fewer instructions per clock and do much less than a single lower clocked C2D or i7 core. Combine that with the fact that you generally will never run a multi-core processor as if it were a single core processor, and the processing advantages of multi-core are even more apparent. Things like current games, for example, run BETTER on multi-core processors because modern games are essentially multi-tasking environments. Which is kind of the point.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
and yes, I'm waiting that you show me where I said you need weaker processors ...
Right here:
win98se is the best version for gaming and watching videos.
You cannot use Win98SE and run modern hardware. Win98SE=slower, older hardware. Therefore it CANNOT be the be the "best" for gaming, because it won't play modern games. I believe I've said this four times or so already. This is the last time I'm going to say it. Please "Get it" this time.

Alias

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

and yes, I'm waiting that you show me where I said you need weaker processors ..

Obviously if you live in coldarchonland weaker processors mean everything in the world because anything faster is showing off.

very funny, no wait - it's not. sry you didn't get the point ..
Funnier than you, actually. And you've missed the entire point of the thread.

it did my friend when I said I rest my case. because your computer is just there to show off ..
Don't hate because his rig is more awesome than yours running Windows 98.

oh I played goldeneye for a while, it became game of the year for every system although it was only released on the n64 ..
Yeah, you have no idea what you're talking about.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Goldeneye port running on the Xbox 360:
goldeneye-xbox-live-remake.jpg
Crysis running on a computer:
new-crysis-dx10-screenshot-20061110001326035.jpg
crysis-3.jpg

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
For what it's worth, I just put a bunch of new **** in my computer. As soon as I backup all my files, I'll be doing a clean Win7 install.

Toiletduck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For what it's worth, I just put a bunch of new **** in my computer. As soon as I backup all my files, I'll be doing a clean Win7 install.

Quick update:

Finalized on below specs. After all the input and also a lot of limiting factors regarding to video card length and cases - I decided to go for a smaller midtower on an standard ATX board. Case is a coolermaster 335.

HSI ATI 5850 : The cost difference really wasn't that much vs Xfired 48XX's. Also the 5870's cost >100 USD more expensive ouch

2x500gb Raid 0: Couldn't find too much information on Raid 0 2xHDD's vs single SSD. But i'm paying ~150USD less for 2 HDD's with 900 gb more space on Raid 0 than a single SSD. Performance wise apparently is not too much difference? Can't find anything online to compare this scenario. Odd.

Gigabyte X58 Mobo
i7 920
6 gb DDR3

Gonna pick up my stuff tonight if I have the time
laugh.gif

P.S. Windows 7 cost me a whole lot more than I expected! Jeebies. Costs close to 300 USD in HKG for Windows 7 Pro.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Toiletduck
P.S. Windows 7 cost me a whole lot more than I expected! Jeebies. Costs close to 300 USD in HKG for Windows 7 Pro.

Why do you need Pro?

Toiletduck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why do you need Pro?

Good question. I don't know. Just looked it up and prolly won't need Pro. Lemme adjust my order
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads