• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Equinox Fees

yahtzee

Reaction score
Anyone have any new pricing info on this place? I don't want to go in and meet with anyone. I don't believe my company has an agreement in place, but I do have the Amex Platinum card.. which means I get "special pricing", but the website doesn't say what that is. Anyone find that they could talk the price down a bit?
bigstar[1].gif

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
NYSC and Equinox suck but NYSC is a better value.

Pennglock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yahtzee
Anyone have any new pricing info on this place? I don't want to go in and meet with anyone. I don't believe my company has an agreement in place, but I do have the Amex Platinum card.. which means I get "special pricing", but the website doesn't say what that is.

Anyone find that they could talk the price down a bit?

bigstar[1].gif

Based on the desperate emails I've been receiving (long ago made the mistake of taking a tour of the facility and giving them my email) I think they're seriously hurting for business and you could drive a good bargain.

Due to the complete lack of bumper plates and the guide's comment that "its probably not okay to use chalk" I have no interest in signing up. Their locker/shower rooms are quite nice, though^^

Lowndes

Reaction score
Anyone have any new pricing info on this place? I don't want to go in and meet with anyone. I don't believe my company has an agreement in place, but I do have the Amex Platinum card.. which means I get "special pricing", but the website doesn't say what that is.

Anyone find that they could talk the price down a bit?

bigstar[1].gif

I am curious about this too. I tried to get a membership this past summer while I was in NYC and they were impossible to deal with. Called to get a quote and they wouldn't tell me. Asked how much the Platinum card discount is 10%, etc. and they wouldn't tell me. Asked if I could talk with their membership consultants on the phone and they said no you must make an appointment.

If they are hurting for business they might want to make it a little easier for people to sign up or at least get a ballpark figure on how much it will cost. I am not going to go down and setup an appointment with somebody without even a ballpark figure of the cost going in.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FWIW, I believe I currently pay $140 for all-access

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
FWIW, I believe I currently pay $140 for all-access

Which in all honesty is not a bad deal for NYC. I mean, it's the same price charged by the most expensive health club in Boca... and they don't have to pay the exuberant NYC rent prices (not to mention NYC utilities, taxes, etc... which are all higher than Boca / Palm Beach County).

yahtzee

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lowndes
I am curious about this too. I tried to get a membership this past summer while I was in NYC and they were impossible to deal with. Called to get a quote and they wouldn't tell me. Asked how much the Platinum card discount is 10%, etc. and they wouldn't tell me. Asked if I could talk with their membership consultants on the phone and they said no you must make an appointment.

Argh.. this was what I specifically did NOT want to deal with. It sounds like I'll need to stop in and check things out. Really didn't want to hear a slimy sales pitch.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Argh.. this was what I specifically did NOT want to deal with. It sounds like I'll need to stop in and check things out. Really didn't want to hear a slimy sales pitch.

Why on earth would you NOT want to see the facilities if you're considering joining?
confused.gif

dhc905

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm in chicago and my company built the building the equinox is in, so we get it for $100/month. They usually aren't negotiable on price, but with paying upfront (1100 for 12 months) and telling them to start your membership the following month, my weighted average cost/month is $84.

CharlesAlexander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I live in soho, and I can tell you the west village and soho equinox charge $140 and a $300 initiation fee JUST to go to those clubs. Which is a complete ripoff, even for NYC.

For the best value chain gym, I'd HIGLY recommend 24hour fitness, which is pretty much the best gym I've ever joined (and I am a huge gym snob). It's down the block from the Equinox in soho, is bigger, has better equipment, and is less then half the price and a quarter of the intiation fee.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMO, the #1 issue with NYC gyms in general is over-population. Unfortunately, the basic premises of supply & demand curves and willingness-to-pay makes the more affordable ones unbearably filled with people at all times. This is the single only reason I switched to Equinox - shifted a little bit on the curve and resulted in a real difference in crowd level.

Equinox waives the initiation fees for pretty much anyone - just need to ask.

yahtzee

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Why on earth would you NOT want to see the facilities if you're considering joining?
confused.gif

Oh I will definitely see the facilities, however I wanted some fee figures before I go in. I don't want to wait hear a number when I am there and then have it slammed with a bunch of statements right after like "ohh.. but this your health." I want a figure ahead of time so I can go in with some idea of what to try to knock the number down to. It sounds like they may be hurting for business.. it's worth the effort to negotiate the monthly fee.
Originally Posted by CharlesAlexander
For the best value chain gym, I'd HIGLY recommend 24hour fitness, which is pretty much the best gym I've ever joined (and I am a huge gym snob). It's down the block from the Equinox in soho, is bigger, has better equipment, and is less then half the price and a quarter of the intiation fee.
This chain isn't in my area. I did a search by zip code on their site and it said "no facilities within 50 miles." Which is kind of surprising... I'm in the metro DC area.

fredfred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All health clubs have seen a decline in membership due to the economy.

LA Sports Club is the nicest club in NYC - but they are rather pricey. I think the joining fee is $2300 or something, then monthly fees.

It'll cost $140 - or maybe 10-15% off if you get a discount. Insist they waive the enrollment fee and they will. Their price is in line with what you get. It's a nicer place than cruch/nysc, but it costs more.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads