• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Power jeans" -- what's your take?

Twotone

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This quote from the article below got my attention: "When someone shows up to an interview or meeting in anything other than jeans, it shows inexperience and a lack of confidence," says Andrew Dumont, vice president of marketing for text-messaging company Tatango. Of course what's perceived by "inexperience and a lack of confidence" for a San Francisco text-messaging company is different than a NYC investment bank. I guess if world leaders can pull it off so can we (for the right occasion). Twotone http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...104873016.html

Bartolo

Reaction score
Well for someone interviewing for a job at Tatango, I guess they should wear jeans. That's the simple reality for Mr. Dumont. I have no idea how widespread that view is in other Bay-area high-tech firms.

That said, I'm hard pressed to understand the statement. "Inexperience." I guess this means that the interviewee should have known that everyone wears jeans at such firms, including interviewees(?). "Lack of confidence." This I understand even less.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So, ok wear jeans when dealing with San-Fran tech people.

BABuckeye

Reaction score
Andrew D is a 21-year-old drop out from prestigious Western Washington University. He is obviously the authority on experience.

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BABuckeye
Andrew D is a 21-year-old drop out from prestigious Western Washington University. He is obviously the authority on experience.

+1. CrunchBase on Andrew D.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
guy in the middle

p6238546.jpg

For a san-fran tech company I assume he's accurate with his comments on jeans.

For a lot of other industries he's way off, but i assume he was talking about his business.

A.K.A.

Reaction score
Totally bravado and spoken like the true Douche that guy must be.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Spoken like a true Moran. ----
When Dmitry Medvedev dined with the Obamas in July, the Russian president appeared both relaxed and powerful. He hit that elusive note by pairing his fine blazer, crisp buttoned shirt, and expensive-looking leather-soled shoes with dark, straight jeans.
Does this appear both relaxed and powerful to you? It appears to me he had soiled his suit trousers and had to get a fast replacement.
PJ-AS247_style5_DV_20091028172604.jpg

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
Spoken like a true Moran.

----

Does this appear both relaxed and powerful to you?

It appears to me he had soiled his suit trousers and had to get a fast replacement.

PJ-AS247_style5_DV_20091028172604.jpg

I thought the jacket was too long, and was making him appear shorter than he already is.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I like jeans and a sportcoat, but it looks off if its a suit jacket, and more so if its too long.

Godot

Reaction score
I agree that the jacket is way too long.
The idea of wearing jeans to meet the US president is an interesting choice. It's kind of making the statement that this event is no big deal to me-not really an important event. Note that Obama didn't think enough of this meeting to wear a tie. Wearing jeans to the event trumps Obama in the "this is not important" game.

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I totally understand where he's coming from, and in fact, the comments above prove his point to a degree: they demonstrate how uncomfortable many of us would be walking into a job interview in jeans. Indeed, I haven't done that since I worked at the Gap during high school. Someone who truly understands his business and wants to prove that they get where he's coming from will know to go into an interview there in jeans is all he's saying.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I think the main point is to understand a company's culture. Do your homework on a company before interviewing there. If it's a super-casual place, find out what people are expected to wear to an interview. If you hear repeatedly not to wear a suit, then don't wear a suit. Yes, there are companies out there -- especially in Bay Area tech -- where wearing a suit to the interview might go so far as to automatically disqualify you. If you look like you don't know the company, then you appear either unprepared or a "bad fit."

Never underestimate the fit portion of an interview. "Will this person get along well in our company?" is just as important a question as "Is this person qualified for the job?" at many, many firms.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads