• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fashion trends you don't buy into

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lasbar
Fashion trends I don't buy into. Fashion trends are fashion trends and we do have a lot of them on Style forum such as double-breasted suits, tweed, 3 piece suits, flannel, peak lapel single breasted suits, wingtips in general and with suits in particular and so on.

Are we takling street fashion ,runways ?
If you talk about classic pieces of garnments , they always will be in and out of fashion ,due to the ever changing nature of fashion itself.

I guess we can consider them trends - I just have never really thought of them in that way, especially classic wardrobe staples such as DB suits, tweeds, three-pieces, wingtips, etc.

I can see how you might view one-button peaks might be a bit of a trend on this forum, but it seems that it's just a carryover from the classic tux, and in that not so much a trend.

I, for one, am relieved that there are other people in the world who enjoy DBs, tweeds, etc., as my collegues currently generally mock my sartorial choices as relics, or dandified.

Lovellum

Reaction score
Ridiculously priced branding (Wow, you got a black t shirt with "D & G" stenciled onto it, and you only paid $125?! You're an idiot!), khaki's, echoing the hatred of boat shoes, and skinny jeans.

Back in high school I had a friend who refused to wear anything but those neon-colored hot topic skinny jeans and t-shirts with a v-neck so deep I could see his navel. I'm not kidding, I could probably wrap two hands around the thickest part of his leg. And because he was a male (I won't say man) he had to sag said pants so low that the button on the front probably hit him mid-shaft. It was disgusting.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lovellum
Back in high school I had a friend who refused to wear anything but those neon-colored hot topic skinny jeans and t-shirts with a v-neck so deep I could see his navel. I'm not kidding, I could probably wrap two hands around the thickest part of his leg. And because he was a male (I won't say man) he had to sag said pants so low that the button on the front probably hit him mid-shaft. It was disgusting.

I believe that he has a new blog called Tweed in the City now.

- B

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Great example of using 'mid-shaft' in a sentence.

Well done.

jmoody15

Reaction score
Originally Posted by porcelain monkey
Top button unbuttoned with a suit and tie.

I'm with you on this...

I've been stuck doing this out of necessity for a few months now - Had surgery on my neck, and now my shirts won't button. Can't wait to rebuild my collection of shirts so that I can look normal again

baldy[1].gif

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jmoody15
I'm with you on this...

I've been stuck doing this out of necessity for a few months now - Had surgery on my neck, and now my shirts won't button. Can't wait to rebuild my collection of shirts so that I can look normal again

baldy[1].gif

A while ago, I found that some of my favorite, older shirts were getting tighter around the neck, so I started wearing jackets and ties with the top button unbuttoned.

Until, of course, I discovered the joy of collar extenders.

414XjqeFrsL._SS400_.jpg

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
More generally, over the last 15 or 20 years, the emulation of the
fashion of the underclass, so called street wear. When I was a youth
the dispossessed often attempted to dress "Ivy". When an item was
appropriated by and interpreted by this group, it became taboo
among the respectable. Example, it the late 50s chinos were
adopted by non- college bound. In a short time black chinos
became popular among the same. Very quickly, nobody taking
the SATs ( University Entrance Exams) would wear black chinos.

Nereis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMO touting the emulation of the former upper class as superior to emulation of the dispossessed is as equally offensive as the inverse. The former is out of touch at best, snobbish at worst. In fact, both are wrong insofar as considering it dressing 'up' or 'down' is concerned. In a world where clothing is now a form of self expression it's condescending to proscribe what anyone can wear based on whose son they are and how much they earn. BTW I find college kids just about the worst dressed group in the world, with no eye for texture, pattern or color matching. It's in fact the antithesis of the frat boy, the hipster kid, that dresses interestingly.

I enjoy wearing my boat shoes, wearing skinny ties with jeans, blazers over tshirts and rolling my chinos to show ankle. It's all an acquired taste. That I hang out with swedish kids may help. But I still don't get chambray shirts, denim jackets, plaid suits or ribbon belts.

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nereis
IMO touting the emulation of the former upper class as superior to emulation of the dispossessed is as equally offensive as the inverse. The former is out of touch at best, snobbish at worst. In fact, both are wrong insofar as considering it dressing 'up' or 'down' is concerned. In a world where clothing is now a form of self expression it's condescending to proscribe what anyone can wear based on whose son they are and how much they earn. BTW I find college kids just about the worst dressed group in the world, with no eye for texture, pattern or color matching. It's in fact the antithesis of the frat boy, the hipster kid, that dresses interestingly.

I enjoy wearing my boat shoes, wearing skinny ties with jeans, blazers over tshirts and rolling my chinos to show ankle. It's all an acquired taste. That I hang out with swedish kids may help. But I still don't get chambray shirts, denim jackets, plaid suits or ribbon belts.

I disagree, I feel cheated whenever I think that I have chanced upon a fellow Alpha based on his/her dress, then find out to my consternment that alas - an Epsilon lies beneath it all!

Chavlad

Reaction score
Too many - the one I detest the most is the T-Shirt under a Shirt all in job I think though!

Chavlad

Reaction score
Too many - the one I detest the most is the T-Shirt under a Shirt all in job I think though!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads