• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to catch a housefly and other winged insects

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The trick is to get a clear plastic bag (produce bags from the grocery bags are the best). Wait until the fly lands on something. Hold the bag by the mouth, slowly approach the fly (it won't be able to see the bag because it's clear), drop the mouth of the bag around the fly. Frightened by the sudden movement, it will fly into the bag.

Now you can squish it or let it out outside.

I've tried this on flies but have not had much success with other winged insects. Mosquitoes are pretty tricky. It'd probably work on moths.

When I was a kid, my dad owned a Chinese restaurant / sandwich shop (you could order low mein and a cheesesteak) I caught over two dozen flies in one day. Despite my efforts, the restaurant folded shortly afterwards.

DBoon

Reaction score
cup with lid
fill cup with apple cider vinegar + tiny bit of dishwashing liquid
poke small hole in lid

watch.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
That works very well with fruitflies. Never tried it with flies. I did catch a fly with honey once. The vinegar didn't seem to work:

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Chopsticks.

emptym

Reaction score
I read once that since flies tend to take off backwards, if you clap your hands a few inches above and behind one, you'll catch it. It works more times than not. Of course, it's messy.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jumbie
Chopsticks.

I knocked a fly out of the air with a pencil once. It was more of a nervous reaction to the fly than anything else, and I've never been able to repeat the trick.

jrandall

Reaction score
Rubber bands work very well.

AgentQ

Reaction score
No joke, one time I was being pestered by a particularly annoying fly, and so I whipped out my linen Wang and after two failed swats made a direct hit.

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kent Wang
That works very well with fruitflies. Never tried it with flies.

I did catch a fly with honey once. The vinegar didn't seem to work:

I appreciate your scientific rigor.

imhotep

Reaction score
hand towel. beat them out of the air with it. they will hit the ground and be knocked out for about 30 seconds. during this time you finish them off by hitting their general location with the towel using a whip-like motion. i've killed ~50 flies in the last 3 d with this method.
teacha.gif
don't ask.

imhotep

Reaction score
oh i see you want to catch them. i cannot help you with that as i am a killing machine.

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imatlas
I knocked a fly out of the air with a pencil once. It was more of a nervous reaction to the fly than anything else, and I've never been able to repeat the trick.

We blacks go straight street and put up the dukes when ever a winged bug is near by. "I stole that bee."

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Helix
Fly vs. Remote Control. I hit a home run.
Problem with hitting them is sometimes you don't know where they went or if they died....

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 27 17.6%

Forum statistics

Threads