• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Gentleman's Umbrella

Montrachet

Reaction score
It's dismal outisde—the wind and rain are ceaseless. On days like today, I carry my trusty Windbrella, the original model with wooden shaft and crook handle. It has served me well for about five years now and has withstood the fiercest weather Chicago and London have been able to throw at it.
However, I am always shocked by the number of people out and about with shabby, broken umbrellas. That flapping loose canopy and exposed ribs are not keeping any rain off of you! Your umbrella is broken. Do you not see that Walgreens you're walking right past where you can get a new one for $3? Why is this accessory treated with such disdain? What are some of the SF umbrellas of choice?

fcuknu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I dont know if I would call a Windbrella a gents umbrellas.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fcuknu
I dont know if I would call a Windbrella a gents umbrellas.

2103835645_75caebcbf3.jpg

- B

Lovellum

Reaction score
You've stepped into the lions den, Montrachet.

Montrachet

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Drydis Greis
http://www.european-umbrellas.com/brigg/brigg.php. Take your pick.

I'm not too sure. Look at the tips on those where the ribs hold the edge of the canvas. Those are just caps, which are made by giving the canvas a twist around the metal and then pinching the cap on like a clamp or staple. That's where it's going to come apart. What is better, is when the hem running along the edge is extended and sewn or tied through the caps which are then affixed to the ribs. This way the tension is spread along the strongest elements, rather than just gripping the middle of the fabric itself. However, the tempered steel frame of these umbrellas would certainly cut it in any conditions. The frame usually only a problem in those foldaway aluminum minis though.

blackbowtie

Reaction score
Who has heard of this umbrella? And if it's unknown, how do I tell that it's good quality? I have to confess that I'm quite seduced by the handle.

JesseJB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Get Barneys ones.

Classic. Durable. Gent-esque.

fcuknu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Montrachet
I'm not too sure. Look at the tips on those where the ribs hold the edge of the canvas. Those are just caps, which are made by giving the canvas a twist around the metal and then pinching the cap on like a clamp or staple. That's where it's going to come apart. What is better, is when the hem running along the edge is extended and sewn or tied through the caps which are then affixed to the ribs. This way the tension is spread along the strongest elements, rather than just gripping the middle of the fabric itself. However, the tempered steel frame of these umbrellas would certainly cut it in any conditions. The frame usually only a problem in those foldaway aluminum minis though.

Briggs are some of the best made umbrellas in the world. A 10 Rib brigg will go up against most anything. Comparing a Brigg to your umbrellas is like comparing Timberlands to Lobbs. Of course You can beat the **** out of Tims, but come on...

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Briggs are some of the best made umbrellas in the world. A 10 Rib brigg will go up against most anything. Comparing a Brigg to your umbrellas is like comparing Timberlands to Lobbs. Of course You can beat the **** out of Tims, but come on...

My 1970s Talarico for Harrods will eat a Brigg, and then make fertilizer. Metal fittings made by a munitions foundry, no longer with us. A crook made for caning:

446910040_uPcpG-M.jpg

Some of the marrow remains in case of natural disaster, and you want to have a relief from cannibalism.

(And no: that is not my photo nor are those my linens.)

- B

fcuknu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you ever try ordering an MT umbrella from the US? impossible.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
you ever try ordering an MT umbrella from the US? impossible.

They're not as good anymore anyway.

Where are your WAYWRN shots?

- B

Lowndes

Reaction score
I wish this country had a good umbrella shop, something like James Smith. I am in need of a great umbrella but would prefer to pick it out in person. Also, that exchange rate isn't great.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads