• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ft Worth, Texas

DaveDr89

Reaction score
All,
anyone here know much about Ft Worth, Texas? I have a job offer there and as part of the due diligence am going there next weekend to check out the real estate market firsthand, trying to assess what one can get in the 300-450k range. It seems like one option would be a nice downtown Ft Worth Condo/townhome, while another would be a nice house in the surrounding area (e.g., SW Arlington?), although I wouldn't want a commute more than 15-20 minutes so that narrows it down considerably. Would be nice to live close to Dallas I suppose but I hate to drive. Thoughts? Also, suggestions for what to do while I'm in town? Based on some quick internet searches it seems like many people are preferential to FW over Dallas.
Thanks!

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DaveDr89
All,
anyone here know much about Ft Worth, Texas? I have a job offer there and as part of the due diligence am going there next weekend to check out the real estate market firsthand, trying to assess what one can get in the 300-450k range. It seems like one option would be a nice downtown Ft Worth Condo/townhome, while another would be a nice house in the surrounding area (e.g., SW Arlington?), although I wouldn't want a commute more than 15-20 minutes so that narrows it down considerably. Would be nice to live close to Dallas I suppose but I hate to drive. Thoughts? Also, suggestions for what to do while I'm in town? Based on some quick internet searches it seems like many people are preferential to FW over Dallas.
Thanks!

I lived in Ft. Worth about 20 years ago, so my information is dated. I can tell you that although Dallas and Ft. Worth are generally close to one another, they are very separate worlds. I love Ft. Worth, but rarely get over there and someone that lives in Ft. Worth probably doesn't spend a lot of time in Dallas.

$300-$450K should buy you a lot of house in the suburbs of Ft. Worth. Ft. Worth is a big enough city to provide lots of entertainment options (Sundance Square, Bass Performance Hall, The Stockyards, Kimball Art Museum, etc.) but without the city congestion and traffic issues of Dallas. Dallas will have more and higher end choices, but Ft. Worth has a nice laid-back lifestyle that I really enjoyed when I was there.

If you live in the mid-cities (Arlington, etc.) your options for enjoying both Dallas and Ft. Worth increase. I understand that there are some very nice parts of Arlington, but I'm not that familar with the area anymore.

Not sure what part of the country you're from, but this area will not impress you with its physical beauty (flat and ugly). But the lifestyle here is great and with DFW airport, you are within 3 hours of either coast.

Good luck.

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
North Richland Hills is a very nice suburb of Ft Worth.

Coppell is a nice place to live between both cities but it is very North of both city centers.

Stay away from: White Settlement and Mansfield.

DaveDr89

Reaction score
thanks for the info. that sort of agrees with my initial impressions of what I've read so far. RE Dallas, I stayed there during the interview ands wasn't that impressed with the downtown area, so perhaps living further away isn't that big a deal, and I don't see myself as a happy camper driving too much for work, etc.

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
thanks for the info. that sort of agrees with my initial impressions of what I've read so far. RE Dallas, I stayed there during the interview ands wasn't that impressed with the downtown area, so perhaps living further away isn't that big a deal, and I don't see myself as a happy camper driving too much for work, etc.

What is a long drive time for you and is your job in downtown Ft Worth?

DaveDr89

Reaction score
wouldn't want to commute more than 15-20 minutes. job is south of downtown, near intersection of I-35 and I-20.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

No one is impressed with downtown Dallas. I mean they're working on it, but it was neglected for so many years that it will be a shithole for many years to come. There are nice parts of Dallas, but downtown isn't one of them. The Victory area (around the AAC in north west part of downtown) isn't bad and the uptown area to the north of downtown is nice. Turtle Creek and Highland Park areas are very nice residential areas (you wouldn't find much in your price range there).

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
wouldn't want to commute more than 15-20 minutes. job is south of downtown, near intersection of I-35 and I-20.

The homes by Lake Arlington seems your best bet for drive time, Im not sure what prices are like. As Mark said the urban centers are really not nice DFW is a suburban area. Having a 15-20 minute drive time is a blessing for most folks.

DaveDr89

Reaction score
supposedly the downtown Ft Worth area has some walkable areas with bars/restaurants (Sundance Square) and there are condos/town homes near there, but after some initial research it seems that they have not been selling recently that much. are there any nice residential areas real close to downtown ft worth where one could find a nice house in my price range?

Dburr

Reaction score
I live on lake Arlington and I'm 10 minutes from I-20 and I-35. Anywhere in SW Arlington would be an easy commute. I agree with the sentiments already expressed compaing Dallas with Fort Worth. There are many neighborhoods in Fort Worth where I would be proud to live. Even though I was born there, I wouldn't live in Dallas under any circumstances. JMHO. There are a number of new condos on the bluffs overlooking the proposed town lake and within walking distance from Sundance. 400k buys a lot of shelter in Fort Worth. Good luck.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm curious about all this pro-FW, anti-Dallas sentiment. I have not been particularly impressed the couple times I've been to Sundance Square. I will admit that they have some nice museums and performance halls (thanks largely to the Bass family), but what else does FW have that's worthwhile?

And what's the source of the Dallas hate? It certainly has lots of snotty yuppies, but so do lots of other cities.

BP348

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bhowie
Stay away from: White Settlement and Mansfield.

That's news to me. My wife has family that lives in Mansfield & I thought it was OK. Of course we're only there for 2- 4 days at a time.

I've heard plenty of people say Ft. Worth is a lot better then Dallas & I'm sure $400K will buy you a nice home.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BP348
I've heard plenty of people say Ft. Worth is a lot better then Dallas ...

I think a lot of Ft. Worth people will tell you that Ft. Worth is better than Dallas.
wink.gif

It all depends on what you are looking for. The quality of everything in Dallas is a notch to five notches higher than in Ft. Worth. That includes the symphony, the museums...and the traffic. Ft. Worth is nice because it provides a lifestyle mix that many people find pleasing. On the other hand, if you are looking for the top end (better restaurants, bars, museums, concerts, whatever...) Dallas always has that over Ft. Worth. You just pay for it with additional congestion and more panhandlers.

Dburr

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mark from Plano
I think a lot of Ft. Worth people will tell you that Ft. Worth is better than Dallas.
wink.gif

It all depends on what you are looking for. The quality of everything in Dallas is a notch to five notches higher than in Ft. Worth. That includes the symphony, the museums...and the traffic. Ft. Worth is nice because it provides a lifestyle mix that many people find pleasing. On the other hand, if you are looking for the top end (better restaurants, bars, museums, concerts, whatever...) Dallas always has that over Ft. Worth. You just pay for it with additional congestion and more panhandlers.

This is a perfect example of the Dallas mentality and exactly why I would never live there. As a group the Fort Worth museums are far, far more impressive. I'll admit to a smaller selection of restaurants in Fort Worth, but then Fort Worth is a much smaller place. Fort Worth is Sean Connery, Dallas is Johnny Depp.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads