• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Am I out of line here? (Tailoring in a men's store)

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley
Of course not. They were made of calf, but he thought they were made of deerskin.

Lets not make this about me, teddie. Lets make this about Vox.

[insert ridiculous reference only people over 70 will understand]

Andrew.Wall62

Reaction score
No, they are not socially required to offer you that service for free. If you want their service, buy from there. Offering them money after being turned down makes you look like you're trying to snag some easy freebies.

phunt

Reaction score
Neiman's is obligated to tailor anything you purchase from NMLC

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
you were out of line, and you even had a tantrum there to boot.

tropics

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
that reminds me i need to pick up a new shitr

JensenH

Reaction score
What would you do if the roles were reversed? Before answering without mulling it over, consider the following:

What if

1) the clothes the customer brought in were defective, or if you somehow lose them? Are you willing to assume liability? (have you heard of the case where a dry-cleaner was sued for $54 million by a customer who claim his pants were lost? The lawsuit was tossed, but the legal bills and psychological toll devastated the dry cleaner.)

2) you lose money on each alteration but offer the service as a loss-leader to generate sales

3) your tailoring staff is already overworked and cannot take on more workload

Consider the other side's situation before acting indignant.

mrchapel

Reaction score
You're out of line because they don't do general tailoring, they do tailoring for items purchased from them as a free service to you in exchange for you buying from them.

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
I don't know of any men's shops where I've been a customer that'll do alterations on merchandise from another store. Stores are usually overwhelmed with alterations on their own merchandise, and struggle to get those jobs completed on time.

K&G Fashion Superstore's tailor welcomes outside alterations. They do a nice job and the prices are reasonable. Now their clothing, well that's a whole different story.
devil.gif

pdial

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JensenH
(have you heard of the case where a dry-cleaner was sued for $54 million by a customer who claim his pants were lost? The lawsuit was tossed, but the legal bills and psychological toll devastated the dry cleaner.)
You couldn't be more wrong about this. The cleaners were sued by a judge because they lost his pants and he thought that their "Satisfaction Guaranteed" entitled him to $54-67 mil for the lost pants. They eventually found his pants and even offered to settle for $12000. The case was thrown out The dry cleaners paid their legal fees through fund raising and the judge eventually lost his job. Do a little research. The cleaners did have to close one of their shops down but still have one more. I wouldn't exactly say that they were devastated.

JensenH

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pdial
You couldn't be more wrong about this. The cleaners were sued by a judge because they lost his pants and he thought that their "Satisfaction Guaranteed" entitled him to $54-67 mil for the lost pants. They eventually found his pants and even offered to settle for $12000. The case was thrown out The dry cleaners paid their legal fees through fund raising and the judge eventually lost his job. Do a little research. The cleaners did have to close one of their shops down but still have one more. I wouldn't exactly say that they were devastated.

Your assertions are wrong. The judge/plaintiff said the pants found were NOT his pants. Yes, I do know about the "satisfaction gaurantee" sign, the fact that the judge lost his adminstrative law job (AFTER he lost the case, AFTER the public outrage, and AFTER the wide-spread media coverage), the fundraising to help the dry cleaner's legal bills (again, AFTER the public awareness) But had I included very minutiae, it would be a long post and detracted from what I was trying to say.

As for devastation, did you know the dry cleaner and his wife seriously considered closing their business, uprooting their lives to move back to Korea whence they came because they were so stressed out? Things turn out well for them at the end, but can you imagine what they were going through prior to the verdict?

Why don't YOU do some research before making incorrect statements and accusations.
boxing[1].gif

sunman42000

Reaction score
Rather than getting angry, i could understand if you got embarassed. Maybe that's what happened and you guised it with anger?

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do a little research. The cleaners did have to close one of their shops down but still have one more. I wouldn't exactly say that they were devastated.

I did a little research, because I followed this story when it was happening and remembered some old articles that I had read, like this one:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...091902173.html

"Even on the day they beat Roy Pearson in the $54 million pants lawsuit, Soo and Jin Chung looked as if they had taken blows to the gut."

Sounds to me like they were devastated.

a-rock

Reaction score
The cleaners did have to close one of their shops down but still have one more. I wouldn't exactly say that they were devastated.
Yeah, I don't get the big fuss. My company downsized and laid off half the employees. Morale was pretty low for a while but I'm not sure why. Half of the people still had jobs. One lady was crying and said she was devastated. Psh, her husband still had a job so they still had one income in the family. My wife said it was sad for their family, having also lost a child in the same year. I was like, dude she's pregnant - they have another one! Our pension manager embezzled 50% of our retirement fund last year and there was another big hooplah in the papers. Not sure why anyone should care as we still have the other 50%. Whiners!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads