• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Building a new computer

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by coldarchon
that's all? that's ridiculous. got nothing better? things you described are independent from an os.

This is patently untrue. Do me a favor and install an i7 and see how far Windows 98SE gets you. It won't support it.

still, which code is included in win7 that makes gaming faster? or to give you a hint, which code is executed by the cpu when running win7 that normally would be done by a good graphics card?
I'm not sure what you are getting at. With something like integrated graphics, MOST of the load of a game is carried by the processor. But that only makes the case stronger for higher data throughput support, faster and newer processors, and etc. stronger, and not weaker as you suggest.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
that's all? that's ridiculous. got nothing better? things you described are independent from an os. just that every higher win version consumes more ram for crap.

still, which code is included in win7 that makes gaming faster? or to give you a hint, which code is executed by the cpu when running win7 that normally would be done by a good graphics card?

wow just ******* wow...

what the hell..

coldarchon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
faster and newer processors, and etc. stronger, and not weaker as you suggest.

and now I would like to see where I said weaker processors in a personal computer. dont mix it up with a risc in a console, they indeed have slower processors because they are completely dedicated to high end graphics.

you made my "better" into "faster", now I would like to see which one of my quotes you made into "weaker procesors", or what you think I implied by that or what became it in your brain. I really want to know ..

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
This has been an entertaining conversation, but until you provide some data to back up your flat-earth assertions, I'm pretty much done talking to you about it. There are many gaming benchmarking utilities out there. Pick one, run it, and post your results. Otherwise, this has been BS. There is literally no evidence that I've found to support your point of view. So while entertaining, I, like most of the others have already done, am writing you off as an ignoramus. Feel free to prove me wrong. If not - then I won't spend any more time discussing this with you, as you seemingly are clueless.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
and now I would like to see where I said weaker processors in a personal computer. dont mix it up with a risc in a console, they indeed have slower processors because they are completely dedicated to high end graphics.

you made my "better" into "faster", now I would like to see which one of my quotes you made into "weaker procesors", or what you think I implied by that or what became it in your brain. I really want to know ..

facepalm.gif
Ok troll. Enjoy whatever it is you are smoking.

Alias

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Guys we should obviously understand that when he says "better" he is not meaning "faster" but just "better." I thought we went over this wordplay back when people were still talking about bespoke tailors.

But to be serious for a second coldarchon can you please stop being an idiot because it is hurting me. You are describing things through a lens of stupidity and while the sky obviously looks pink to you it doesn't for the rest of us with more than two brain cells to rub together. Now stop posting here because you have nothing worthwhile to contribute and are only making yourself look dumb.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
that's all? that's ridiculous. got nothing better? things you described are independent from an os. just that every higher win version consumes more ram for crap.

I actually hope we're just being trolled here. Nobody should be this stupid. You do realize that windows releases chunks of memory when you load your games, right? My linux servers at work are constantly pegged at ~98% memory utilization but when I start extra programs I don't run out and critical systems don't crash. It's called memory management. Vista operates on a different memory management model than XP did. It's not worse than XP, it's different. What many people fail to understand is that the OS will grab memory if it's in surplus and available. Vista is certainly no star in that regards, but 7 is significantly improved. Regardless of that, RAM is fairly irrelevant in most gaming benchmarks as long as you have a certain minimum amount of it.

I've not been keeping up with gaming benchmarks in a while, but last I checked, going from 2GB to 4GB usually offers no performance improvement or a very very marginal one. And if your game wants the RAM, windows will release it, unless you've got some ridiculously small amount of ram and just don't have enough. RAM is a cheap commodity these days, so anyone that would complain about their OS using too much of it and insisting on using an OS that hasn't been supported by MS in 3 years is an idiot.

And yes, hardware is independent from the OS, but DirectX10 is not. Video card drivers are not. nVidia doesn't produce a win98 driver anymore.

Alias

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
I actually hope we're just being trolled here. Nobody should be this stupid.

Guys his name is coldarchon. He probably LARPs.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Alias
Guys his name is coldarchon. He probably LARPs.

laugh.gif

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good luck finding those PCI-E drivers for Win98.

--Andre

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
And yes, hardware is independent from the OS, but DirectX10 is not. Video card drivers are not. nVidia doesn't produce a win98 driver anymore.

But hardware not supported by the Win98SE OS, like multi-core processors, motherboards, larger hard drives, and faster RAM make all the difference in the world, and is the entire point I was making. You cannot say Win98SE is a "better" OS for gaming, when -

A: You cannot use current hardware without significantly altering the OS, because your operating system will not recognize nor utilize it.
B: Old hardware that CAN be used will not properly run the games.

It seems so simple of a concept.

Guys we should obviously understand that when he says "better" he is not meaning "faster" but just "better."

I'm curious as to how someone can define how Crysis running at 2 frames per second at 800x600 with no AA and all the quality settings on "low" is "better" on the top of the line Windows 98SE computer, than running at 60 frames per second at 1600x1200 with 4x AA and "high" quality settings on a top of the line Vista or Win7 Machine.

smile.gif

Originally Posted by A Y
Good luck finding those PCI-E drivers for Win98.

--Andre

Somehow I think that's the least of his problems.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh I get it now, coldarchon is Scrappy Boy's nerdy cousin. They have the same irrational thought processes, don't ever get around to really answering questions, or provide sound arguments.

Just "blah blah blah, I'm right, you're wrong".

coldarchon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
facepalm.gif
Ok troll. Enjoy whatever it is you are smoking.

still waiting for you to show me where I said you need weaker processors ..

you have nothing worthwhile to contribute and are only making yourself look dumb.

what did YOU contribute?

My linux servers at work are constantly pegged at ~98% memory utilization but when I start extra programs I don't run out and critical systems don't crash. It's called memory management.

so your argument is that the newer system is faster because it can quicker unload processes that are unneeded, while the older system doesn't even load them?

usually offers no performance improvement or a very very marginal one.
which is exactly my point. what you will get out of a custom personal computer to imitate a console needs money equal to the christmas prizes of all 3 seventh generation consoles with all extras, 10 games and the same power consumption as if you let all 3 run at the same time. but does it make your videos run faster? wow you can watch titanic in 1 hour? guess what, the timeline will still be the same, and the very same goes for an online internet game ..

Originally Posted by whiteslashasian
Just "blah blah blah, I'm right, you're wrong".

so you built up a system to load your os much faster with a performance power that you would need on an autocad computer? what you have built is similar to the ancient amiga/c64 systems with a ROM for the os, just that you overclock it and half it's lifetime. buy a console next time ..

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Your question, if you were halfway intelligent would have answered itself by now. Can you run modern hardware on Win98SE? No.

So you will be running and older, slower, single core processor. I'm not sure why that's so hard to figure out.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
so you built up a system to load your os much faster with a performance power that you would need on an autocad computer? what you have built is similar to the ancient amiga/c64 systems with a ROM for the os, just that you overclock it and half it's lifetime. buy a console next time ..
I'm sorry I didn't mention that there was no voltage increase to my Overclocked e8400 and it still runs cooler than most big box PC makers rigs run. That "halves the lifetime" for sure.
rolleyes.gif
I also plan on using this computer to run W7 in 2029.
sarcasm.gif
I forgot that a c64 will run winamp 5, opera 10 with 12 tabs open, several IM programs, run video compression while playing Crysis at the same time too. I also forgot that I can do all this on my PS3.
facepalm.gif
I built a performance PC to play all the games I want at the frame rates I want and with the image quality I want (TAA, DX10, and HIGH resolutions; most console games do not render at 1080p) along with being able to store, play, and more importantly edit all my multimedia and come in a non-cumbersome package (let's face it, those console OS's are not built well for all of these things). Has it occurred to you that the OP wants to do all these things as well? Also, have you ever played a first person shooter on a console? It's the worst experience imaginable. Get off your bullshit high horse and face the fact that you haven't provided ANY kind of sound argument or facts to back up your ridiculous claims.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads