• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Am I out of line here? (Tailoring in a men's store)

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
i noticed that turnaround time for even simple things like hemming a pair of pants can be several business days or up to 1 week.

i think they want to keep the backlog down to a minimum so they do refuse purchases from outside. i can certainly understand this.

payback is not in the form of the attitude of 'im entitled to some kickback as i frequent your establishment'.
you already established mutual 'payback' by getting merchandise at these stores and them getting your business.
i dont act in anyway to have them treat me any more than any customer. if they want to treat me as a 'vip' or not that is up to them.

Rolex Luthor

Reaction score
Best tailor I've found in San Antonio is Layo's. It's in the area of 410 & Broadway just south of the airport. I take all my stuff there. Jesse does a good job.

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
meh

jsherman02

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
I don't know of any men's shops where I've been a customer that'll do alterations on merchandise from another store. Stores are usually overwhelmed with alterations on their own merchandise, and struggle to get those jobs completed on time.

Every store does....and will. Nordstrom does it but charges double.

As for the OP, I undestand your view, but a store can do whatever they want to do. I shop at a nice mens store and on occasion will bring items that were purchased from another store. Their policy is to give new products purchased at their store a priority...

I agree with others...find a good tailor who can do all of your work...

SamSpade

Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
You need to take a Valium. This should be very, very, very low on the list of things to get pissed off at. Just take the pants somewhere else. Very few, if any men's stores, alter items from other establishments. You wouldn't take a JPress suit to Brooks Brothers for alterations.
Yes, I'm probably overreacting, but still - the bolded part is kind of the point I am getting at - what is my incentive to go to and help keep in business a nice family store (that btw sells multiple brands, hence no reason to be particular about it) if I can get the same type rigid corporate policies in any run of the mill store (and in line with your example, it would definitely not occur to me to walk into a brooks brothers store for a random alteration). In any case, i was crankier than I should have I admit. I guess I was too happy to have found such a rare breed of a store (this particular one was established in 1916 and has been family owned ever since), and admittedly my idea of what a men's store should operate doesn't have to be in line with reality
biggrin.gif
. (I'm still looking for a good tailor, hence getting small alterations at random places)

eudaimonia

Reaction score
Yes, I'm probably overreacting, but still - the bolded part is kind of the point I am getting at - what is my incentive to go to and help keep in business a nice family store (that btw sells multiple brands, hence no reason to be particular about it) if I can get the same type rigid corporate policies in any run of the mill store (and in line with your example, it would definitely not occur to me to walk into a brooks brothers store for a random alteration).

I think you should respect their bottom line as much as you'd respect that of any other store. The alterations probably do not make them money, and my guess is that they have as much trouble, if not more trouble, turning a profit than the corporate stores due to the lack of economies of scale. Their scope is to sell men's clothes, and as people have said before, they choose to provide the convenience of in-house alterations, as do many other stores.

jkennett

Reaction score
There is an additional reason why stores balk at taking outside merchandise for alterations. There is an inherent risk when altering an item that the item could be altered unsatisfactorily or incorrectly, the garment could be torn, or it could be lost. When the store is altering their own product and something of this nature happens they have the obvious recourse of reordering a new product for you.

If it's someone else's product... they're **** out of luck and waiting for a law suit to arrive for the $6,000 suit you bought for $150 at Neiman Marcus Last Call.

Stores like Nordstrom or Bloomies sometimes take outside merchandise from customers that they know and "trust" but it's pricier than usual. Those companies wouldn't be bankrupted by a potential tailoring mishap the way a little mom-and-pop shop could be.

I think you were a bit out of line but we all have those days. An apology goes a long way if you cared enough or think you left that horrendous of an impression.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have to ask: were these trousers made of deerskin by any chance?

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
I have to ask: were these trousers made of deerskin by any chance?

Of course not. They were made of calf, but he thought they were made of deerskin.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads