• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

constant struggle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
looks like i'll just save up for the #8 shell... those boots are hot fiyah

i also want these from leathersoul:

sptb1.jpg

only $1045 on boots... *sigh*

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
the teger x leathersoul collab boot will be coming soon..
devil.gif

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ahab
tlw3.jpg
p.gif

Originally Posted by Ahab
I did not see this before, am not sure if you are joking and I hope it got answered but you would be a 10D Barrie.

Yep those be them, thanks for the sizing info captain.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teger
the teger x leathersoul collab boot will be coming soon..
devil.gif

Haha, and I've been waiting for these for months too.

pandamonium

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MiniW
nice story^^ I contacted Alden about a similar request a while back. The shoes were ravello shell chukkas. They told me that if the shoes had enough extra leather they perhaps could stretch it to a slightly larger last. I ended up not sending the shoes to Alden because of the hassle but I'm glad to hear that it is possible to make the shoes larger. BTW did Alden charge any fees for this service?

Absolutely no charge. I just paid to ship them over to MA, they did all the work and mailed the back (with new laces) gratis.

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
basic question on formality of different designs. plain toe vs cap toe vs wing tip on the Alden Indy's - which is going to be most versatile for use with jeans all the way up to potentially suits, vs which is going to be the most formal?
FD-45677H.jpg
vs
FD-3915HC.jpg
vs
FD-86987HC.jpg
vs an imaginary wing tip
smile.gif
?

DrZRM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by furo
Can the Alden shell plain toe bluchers stack up to the C&J benchmade shell PTBs made for Ralph Lauren? ...In terms of quality and durability, not style... Pondering on which brand to go with.. And do both lines use Horween?
I've said this elsewhere and had other folks from the forum agree with me. The finish on the Alden shell seems much more durable than the shell used by C&J. I have Alden whiskey longwings (and a pair of #8 plain toe blucher on the modified last) as well as the Ralph Lauren Darlton wingtips. The Darltons scratch very easily. The heel of the other shoe, a step if you trip, you can even do it with your fingernail without too much difficulty, leaves a bad mark in the surface of the shell. I don't know if C&J uses Horween shell, it may just be the way the companies finish their shoes, but the finish of the Aldens seems much better. As for the workmanship of the shoe build, I think both shoes are excellent, and I imagine they will last a very long time.
Originally Posted by makewayhomer
basic question on formality of different designs. plain toe vs cap toe vs wing tip on the Alden Indy's - which is going to be most versatile for use with jeans all the way up to potentially suits, vs which is going to be the most formal?
^ I think the cap toe or the wingtip, not on a commando sole, are going to best serve your needs from jeans to suits. But there is no need for the wingtip to be imaginary. Check out the Brixton wingtip boot on leather sole from forum affiliate Epaulet, plus no speed laces, which definitely reduce formality.

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DrZRM
I've said this elsewhere and had other folks from the forum agree with me. The finish on the Alden shell seems much more durable than the shell used by C&J. I have Alden whiskey longwings (and a pair of #8 plain toe blucher on the modified last) as well as the Ralph Lauren Darlton wingtips. The Darltons scratch very easily. The heel of the other shoe, a step if you trip, you can even do it with your fingernail without too much difficulty, leaves a bad mark in the surface of the shell. I don't know if C&J uses Horween shell, it may just be the way the companies finish their shoes, but the finish of the Aldens seems much better. As for the workmanship of teh shoe build, I think both shoes are excellent, and I imagine they will last a very long time.

Thanks, I was wondering whether the hype surrounding the C&J shell darltons was a little overblown...

I own a pair of black shell Aldens and love em, so for the price compared to benchmade C&Js, I should probably stick to Alden

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DrZRM
^ I think the cap toe or the wingtip, not on a commando sole, are going to best serve your needs from jeans to suits. But there is no need for the wingtip to be imaginary. Check out the Brixton wingtip boot on leather sole from forum affiliate Epaulet, plus no speed laces, which definitely reduce formality.

thanks. the commando sole definitely looks a bit clunky, and that worries me. at the same time I'm not sure I'm disciplined/careful enough to care for leather soles in the Boston weather, and I'd rather be more "comfortable" if I step in a puddle or something.

does Alden have a sole that wears easy in bad weather but isn't as full on clunky as the commando?

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
does Alden have a sole that wears easy in bad weather but isn't as full on clunky as the commando?
the "flex welt" sole might fit this description, it's a leather sole but it isnt as slippery as regular leather sole. i thought i even read somewhere Tom or someone saying the flex welt sole was a good alternative for poor weather. it's a single layer sole so it has a sleeker silhouette. I've never walked in wet weather in my pair that has them, but they do feel like it'd grip pretty well in slick conditions

Ahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by furo
Thanks, I was wondering whether the hype surrounding the C&J shell darltons was a little overblown... I own a pair of black shell Aldens and love em, so for the price compared to benchmade C&Js, I should probably stick to Alden
No, the hype on the Darlton's is not overblown. It is a great shoe. I have both the Alden and the Darlton. The fit on the Darlton is not as comfortable as my Alden's but when I went to the RL store they are not a shoe store so I basically had to try them on. The 10 fit like a glove and the 10.5 fit OK but when I wore them for a day they broke in. If I were to pay full price I would hands down get the Alden Long Wing in Cigar or #8 Shell over the Darlton/Marlow. But why people like the Darlton on this forum is you can get it for less than the Alden's. You can get it for about 45% off when RL has their sales. I wear my Darlton's as a beater shoe and they are breaking in very nicely. I will say I scraped the living shiznet out of the toe on the Darlton but I used some dark brown shoe cream and shoe polish and cannot even tell anymore. To me the Alden is much more comfortable. PS: To help break in the Darlton I wore some thick athletic socks and that seemed to work. Good luck!

cmsmith

Reaction score
thanks. the commando sole definitely looks a bit clunky, and that worries me. at the same time I'm not sure I'm disciplined/careful enough to care for leather soles in the Boston weather, and I'd rather be more "comfortable" if I step in a puddle or something.

Winn Perry just posted a longwing with an oiled leather sole that was better for rain/bad weather on their blog. It was posted in here a few pages back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads