• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can I get custom spectators in Hong Kong?

AJR Journal

Reaction score
I am going to Hong Kong (from Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA) for 8 days in January 2009.
I want to get some custom clothes.
Any Ideas? Suggestions? Prices?
Can I get custom shoes? I love spectators.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
yes.

and if you're gonna do it, you better visit the store the 1st day you're there.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
The thread linked about Zee's is your huckleberry for shoes, though there's someone named Meyer (Mayer? Maier?) as well apparently. I walked into Zee's and though I never got anything, I was not particularly given a good impression just walking around the store.

For clothes, I give my strong recommendation to WW Chan. Don't mess around with anyone who hands out their cards on the streets - they're all dime-a-dozen Indian tailors and they all suck. Jantzen is OK but their fabrics are not top-notch and their tailoring leaves something to be desired - still, if you're comfortable doing some coaching it's a good cheap bet. I hear good things about Ascot Chang but I have no personal experience with them.

Other forum members ahve good experiences with some more obscure guys - Phat Guido seems to have had smashing success with some guy I think named Michael Lee, perhaps in Mong Kok? Search it out, but beware, PG knows what he is doing and his results may not have been typical.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I've seen a pair of spectators done by Meyer which wasn't bad at all imho. Though the HKG iGents seems to agree Zee is a better choice.

Fishball

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mayer give you better customer service and nicer shop to shop. But for the shoe itself, they are made from the same workshop of Zee's, so the last offer will be the same, the workmanship will be the same. However, the upper leather is not the same, since the shop provide the uppers. You can get Horween Shell from Mayer but not Zee's. However, the price is also difference, Mayer at HKD2,500 and Zee's at HKD1,500, the choice is yours.
One more thing, if "mistake" happen, Mayer is much much easier to deal with than Zee's.

maomao1980

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Douglas
...PG knows what he is doing and his results may not have been typical.

ORLY?

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

benjamin831

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fishball
Mayer give you better customer service and nicer shop to shop. But for the shoe itself, they are made from the same workshop of Zee's, so the last offer will be the same, the workmanship will be the same. However, the upper leather is not the same, since the shop provide the uppers. You can get Horween Shell from Mayer but not Zee's. However, the price is also difference, Mayer at HKD2,500 and Zee's at HKD1,500, the choice is yours.
One more thing, if "mistake" happen, Mayer is much much easier to deal with than Zee's.

Who do you use now, Fishball? Mayer or Zee?

Fishball

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by benjamin831
Who do you use now, Fishball? Mayer or Zee?

I don't know yet for "now." I am thinking ( just thinking)of make it by myself at one end, or ordering Vass, or going to Kow Hoo. I buy too much shoes this year. So, more likely will be making it by myself.

I just got my pair of boot from Cliff today, a pair of Zee's last week, a pair of Vass few months ago.

Normally, I wear a pair of shoes more than ten years. But I buy more than 5 pairs this year. Is that little bit too much?

pabloj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fishball

I just got my pair of boot from Cliff today

Please post photos
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads