• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MEGA PEACOAT THREAD - 61 threads merged - all Peacoat questions HERE

amnesiac

Reaction score
Originally Posted by eseanyang
So i was planning to buy a Schott 753 peacoat from japan, but i realized it costs alot first off for shipping, and second its very small, although it might fit me there was no guarantee. So i thought maybe i should just buy a sized down schott 740 peacoat from there website. The 753 apparently however is manufactured exclusively for Japanese retailers, and differs from the 740N in cut and weight. So which should i get guys? BTW i usually wear a small in jackets. I am 5"8 and weight 165 pounds.
1. you should've posted in ask a question. regardless, 2. at 5'8 165 you've got a high BMI. unless you have insanely dense muscles, that threaten to break a strong but small, thin frame, you aren't slim. even if you are an anomaly, no. you're not slim. you'll fill out a slimmed down standard schott just fine enough.

EnzyteBob

Reaction score
I just picked up a Sterlingwear Authentic and sized down from a 46 to a 44. The shoulders are perfect, sleeves a touch long and a bit tight, but as I'm a size 34 waist below the chest and waist is massive. I took the thing into the tailor for adjustment, hopefully it will fit my generally difficult measurements better upon pickup. I'll post pictures this weekend.

Mr_Suave_a_k_a_Johnny_Bravo.jpg

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's the consensus on the Sterlingwear "Navigator?"

On the website it looks like the only coat in 100% wool, whereas the "authentic" is 80% wool

Also interested in fit pics of the "Spec" ... definitely sounds like a quality, warm coat!

amnesiac

Reaction score
Originally Posted by furo
What's the consensus on the Sterlingwear "Navigator?"

On the website it looks like the only coat in 100% wool, whereas the "authentic" is 80% wool

Also interested in fit pics of the "Spec" ... definitely sounds like a quality, warm coat!

spec afaik is same as authentic in a different thicker wool. navigator might be cut bigger and doesn't have a lining since it's an 'overcoat.' also, according to a customer service rep from sterlingwear, the 20% nylon actually makes for a longer wearing tougher fabric. also, as impolyt pointed out in random fashion thoughts, the nylon blend is not only more cost effective, but also makes the fabric more water resistant at that price point.

also, the authentic is plenty warm as it is with 24oz fabric and a blanket liner. 32oz could be a bit much for many. i'm generally warmer than most most of the time but even in teens F with significant winds all last winter, i was just cozy with a sweater under at most.

KayJay85

Reaction score
Looking for a grey (NOT charcoal) peacoat with a budget of £300.
Suggestions? All I can see is the Acquascutum Connelly at £595

Thanks in advance

edubs01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thinking of purchasing this peacoat by Gerald & Stewart by Fidelity for Barneys.

Thoughts....

tehdvd

Reaction score
Alright, i finally recieved the authentic in size 36L height = 5"11.5 chest ~35.x weight = 134 I'm wearing my riding pants thats why it looks like i'm wearing baggy pants(i coudlnt wait to try it on
smile.gif
) There seems to be pretty big on the shoulders but then again i'm really skinny. The arm pits are pretty high but not enough where i can't move my arms. Conclusion, if only the L sizes were a bit shorter this would be perfect. Also if the armpit area wasnt so tight i think i could have fit a size 34. Now the curiosity is killing me. BTW, sorry for the iphone pictures. to pop?
IMG_0396.jpg
or not to pop?
IMG_0394.jpg
i'm still a bit self consious to pop it
frown.gif

aaaeeeiiiooouuu

Reaction score
Popped looks much better.

I would even say that popped always looks better - there's a reason why peacoat collars are so egregiously big, you know.

tehdvd

Reaction score
Originally Posted by amnesiac
pop it and pop it with conviction. the shoulders look too big.

Yeah the shoulders are a bit too big. Now you have me wondering would sz34 work
frown.gif

amnesiac

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tehdvd
Yeah the shoulders are a bit too big. Now you have me wondering would sz34 work
frown.gif

do it. i've got a 37-38" chest depending on how i've been working out and i wear a 36 and it's just perfect especially in the shoulders. my fit pic is somewhere in this thread...

tehdvd

Reaction score
Originally Posted by amnesiac
do it. i've got a 37-38" chest depending on how i've been working out and i wear a 36 and it's just perfect especially in the shoulders.

my fit pic is somewhere in this thread...

That's interesting, i wish i knew this earlier. Time to order size 34!

Mexicorn

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tehdvd

Alright, i finally recieved the authentic in size 36L
height = 5"11.5
chest ~35.x
weight = 134

What's the shoulder-cuff length of the sleeves on the L?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads