• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Blog re-boot: Tweed in the City

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Will you continue to host messages attacking your character, taste, mental health, ethnic background, political beliefs, and motivations on the new Wordpress site, like on the old blog, or will you keep that material here, on AAAC, and on FNB.edu?

Hard choice, I know.

- B

You forgot height.
facepalm.gif

TC (Houston)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice new blog, I was wondering what you were up to. BTW, I don't know why but Ivory makes me squeamish.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Holy f*ck. I just looked at the blog for the first time today. What's with all the impassioned anti-ivory comments?

Can't I just have a normal blog like everyone else?

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Can't I just have a normal blog like everyone else?
If you were normal ... perhaps. But ... who the hell wants to be ... normal?

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Free blog advice here. I know you were missing my free advice. Here it is.

Title -- this one is lame. Too contrived. It could have staying power, but I doubt it. Naming a thing is a very tough job. I don't know how to fix it. The old business advice of location + product is not square one for this sort of project. It's not a newspaper headline either, so the snarky puns of an underpaid copy editor don't make much sense either. It should memorable, distinctive, and what's the word, a part for the whole. A condensation of foo. You also want to get outside the clichÃ
00a9.png
s of the genre. I may be naïve but I thought Wolf vs. Goat was a great name for that product line -- never seen a clothing brand name like it. It's sure to spawn imitators and some of the initial charm will get lost. Lands' vs. End coming our way in '12.

Tone -- (a) this is too Will. Will is great but Will is Will. I see this mostly in the attempt to wrap up your post with a conclusion. "Everyone’s poorer these days, but if you’re going to indulge in a luxury, do yourself a favor and make it personal." The conclusion sounds forced. The advice is somewhat trite. When Will pulls this off it's because it is some half-baked expression of Will. "Wear silk at the neck." Yeah OK Will. (b) the prescriptive stuff is not a long-term winner. What works for the one-book-a-decade genre is not going to work for the 100-new-blogs-a-year genre.

Audience -- This prescriptive thing spills over into your audience. Your likely audience reads SF and other blogs and forums. They do not need much advice, in the grand scheme of things; rather they are pretty informed and as such seek out more information. Unless you are gunning for Ask Andy's market share you might be more reluctant to make prescriptions. Will pulls this off because (sorry Will) he's charmingly preposterous. You can be too but c'mon, that angle is worked already.

Conclusion -- More originality. You are not true to yourself if you dispense with so obvious and so easily attainable a source of interest. You need to offer novelty as well as vividness.

My advice is junk the unoriginal compulsion to wrap things in sartorial rules and just document stuff. Tell us why you think it is cool, but know that this can be the car wreck part for the reader. I enjoy reading love letters to the L.L. Bean Norwegian sweater even though I'm old enough to remember the first version, and even if I still think all these young people must be smoking crack before they sit down to worship this ugly sweater. It's not the argument that does it for me but the facts (wtf that sweater again?) plus the perspective (wtf this is really cool now?)

Just tell us what you love. Share really good pictures and really accurate facts. Odds are we'll not love it too. But that's cool, most of us do not need any help figuring out what it is we love. So there's no great failure there if you fail to win us over. I didn't know I could barely buy ivory accessories in Paris and that fact and the pictures make the post most interesting to me.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dewey
Free blog advice here. I know you were missing my free advice. Here it is.

Title -- this one is lame. Too contrived. It could have staying power, but I doubt it. Naming a thing is a very tough job. I don't know how to fix it. The old business advice of location + product is not square one for this sort of project. It's not a newspaper headline either, so the snarky puns of an underpaid copy editor don't make much sense either. It should memorable, distinctive, and what's the word, a part for the whole. A condensation of foo. You also want to get outside the clichÃ
00a9.png
s of the genre. I may be naïve but I thought Wolf vs. Goat was a great name for that product line -- never seen a clothing brand name like it. It's sure to spawn imitators and some of the initial charm will get lost. Lands' vs. End coming our way in '12.

Tone -- (a) this is too Will. Will is great but Will is Will. I see this mostly in the attempt to wrap up your post with a conclusion. "Everyone's poorer these days, but if you're going to indulge in a luxury, do yourself a favor and make it personal." The conclusion sounds forced. The advice is somewhat trite. When Will pulls this off it's because it is some half-baked expression of Will. "Wear silk at the neck." Yeah OK Will. (b) the prescriptive stuff is not a long-term winner. What works for the one-book-a-decade genre is not going to work for the 100-new-blogs-a-year genre.

Audience -- This prescriptive thing spills over into your audience. Your likely audience reads SF and other blogs and forums. They do not need much advice, in the grand scheme of things; rather they are pretty informed and as such seek out more information. Unless you are gunning for Ask Andy's market share you might be more reluctant to make prescriptions. Will pulls this off because (sorry Will) he's charmingly preposterous. You can be too but c'mon, that angle is worked already.

Conclusion -- More originality. You are not true to yourself if you dispense with so obvious and so easily attainable a source of interest. You need to offer novelty as well as vividness.

My advice is junk the unoriginal compulsion to wrap things in sartorial rules and just document stuff. Tell us why you think it is cool, but know that this can be the car wreck part for the reader. I enjoy reading love letters to the L.L. Bean Norwegian sweater even though I'm old enough to remember the first version, and even if I still think all these young people must be smoking crack before they sit down to worship this ugly sweater. It's not the argument that does it for me but the facts (wtf that sweater again?) plus the perspective (wtf this is really cool now?)

Just tell us what you love. Share really good pictures and really accurate facts. Odds are we'll not love it too. But that's cool, most of us do not need any help figuring out what it is we love. So there's no great failure there if you fail to win us over. I didn't know I could barely buy ivory accessories in Paris and that fact and the pictures make the post most interesting to me.

This is excellent advice. I really appreciate the effort and accuity. You are very right about sounding too prescriptive. Upon re-reading my first post, I agree that it is not the tenor I want to strike.

Thanks.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley
Why don't you just call the damn blog TWEED.

Ask Matt About Tweed

The Tweed Lounge

TweedForvm

Guess His Tweed

- B

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads