• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gun Club Check Appreciation Thread

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Film Noir Buff
Hopefully, they made him a matching deerstalker.

I think that they skipped that because they only had seven different kinds of tweeds in stock.

Plus, there is a big stockpile in Naples.

- B

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yfyf
Where's your recent Chan? That was a lovely check and I actually prefer the relatively small size of the pattern.

Here's a bad shot me wearing it. (Dont' laugh, I did put on socks).

prkr909b.jpg

And a macro. There's no overcheck, just brown and rust on top of a lighter brown-gray. yfyf found this in the Chan archives/warehouse.

chan01.jpg

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Parker
Here's a bad shot me wearing it. (Dont' laugh, I did put on socks).

prkr909b.jpg

Yours looks so much better than the examples in the last page. Those almost put me off gun club ..

TC (Houston)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
I thought that SC was a gingham pattern with a 2nd color overcheck while GC was a 2-color gingham pattern with a 3rd color overcheck. Might be completely wrong though...

Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Harrison of Edinburgh coined the term District Checks at the end of the Nineteenth century, of which there were about thirty, the production of which they took over from Fraser and Smith.

One District Check was the Shepherd Check. This was four by four or six by six black and white.

Another District Check was the Gun Club (Coigach.) This was like a Shepherd Check but in alternating series of black and reddish brown against white. The Gun Club was a reimportation of a pattern lost in Britain but preserved in America.

Things have devolved, or evolved if you prefer, from that time. There were many District Checks that one might call "gun clubs" today, but they were actually checks of their own name and type (Gairloch, Brooke, etc.)

There are also all the modern divergences, but instead of calling then gun clubs it probably makes more sense just to call them checks.

The most famous District Check is the PoW, a variation of the Small Glen Urquhart.

- B

Thanks for the explanation, gents. Are they also traditionally light brown, reddish brown or brown tones? It seems most examples I have seen referred to as "gun club" are in that family. I think this jacket technically meets the description but the color tones are unlike any I have ever seen referred to as gun club.

Also, can you guys point me to any resources to learn the names and characteristics of fabrics and patterns? I have most of flusser's books and I don't recall it ever being covered in great detail.

99042.jpg

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TC (Houston)
Thanks for the explanation, gents. Are they also traditionally light brown, reddish brown or brown tones? It seems most examples I have seen referred to as "gun club" are in that family. I think this jacket technically meets the description but the color tones are unlike any I have ever seen referred to as gun club. Also, can you guys point me to any resources to learn the names and characteristics of fabrics and patterns? I have most of flusser's books and I don't recall it ever being covered in great detail.
99042.jpg

What possible use could you have for this information?

james_timothy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Satisfying one's curiosity?

sammy

Reaction score
7626.jpg

What book and swatch number is this one from?

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Parker
I really like gun club checks.
So do I ... more than a few Biddle Lists' worth.

TC (Houston)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What possible use could you have for this information?

Is this a serious question? In any event, I would like to become better versed so that I can properly identify fabrics and communicate effectively to others about those fabrics.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is this a serious question?
I asked you first. I suppose anywhere but here it's a serious question.
In any event, I would like to become better versed so that I can properly identify fabrics and communicate effectively to others about those fabrics.
This answers my question; you really have no use for this information
smile.gif

TC (Houston)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This answers my question; you really have no use for this information
smile.gif

You've lost me. But I did get the implication that my inquiry does not merit a meaningful response. Thanks for the help.
wink.gif

Will

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Is this a serious question? In any event, I would like to become better versed so that I can properly identify fabrics and communicate effectively to others about those fabrics.

About thirty years ago Johnstons of Elgin updated a book titled Scottish District Checks (it's not handy and I could have the publisher wrong but the title is correct). It has histories and photos of hundreds of estate tweeds, including the gun clubs. Copies are still around in used book stores.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics