• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Barbour Gem- The Waxed Blazer!

Bounder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know. I think the people making the jokes about pocket squares have a point. Waxed jackets are durable country wear. Blazers are, well, blazers. A waxed blazer seems only slightly less absurd than a waxed DJ. I can see what they were going for but it seems to me that they ended up with something that looks completely out-of-place in every environment.

Grayland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bounder
I don't know. I think the people making the jokes about pocket squares have a point. Waxed jackets are durable country wear. Blazers are, well, blazers. A waxed blazer seems only slightly less absurd than a waxed DJ. I can see what they were going for but it seems to me that they ended up with something that looks completely out-of-place in every environment.

I see it a little differently. I would wear this blazer as a casual fall coat/raincoat, not as a blazer. I think it would look silly with a pocket square (and I know that was just a joke) or even a tie, but would look great over a plaid shirt and a pair of jeans/moleskins/cords. To me, it might be worn instead of a harrington-style jacket. If I was going out for a couple of beers with my buddies, I might throw this "blazer" on and look a little sharper than your regular customer. It would look no more out of place than a Barbour Beaufort does on any of us who aren't actually bird hunting.

Chips

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had to get one. But I did have to pay $12 for shipping.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you provided the riddle, they will adjust your invoice.

I just want to put this out there for the noobs: never pay shipping for STP items. Search, "free shipping riddle for STP".

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shikar,please post a picture wearing the blazer if you can.
thanks

obiter dictum

Reaction score
Interesting! Doesn't anyone know the sleeve length on this? I need 26" sleeves, measured from the shoulder seam on most jackets, size medium.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by obiter dictum
Interesting! Doesn't anyone know the sleeve length on this? I need 26" sleeves, measured from the shoulder seam on most jackets, size medium.
You're in luck - the sleeves on the medium I have measure about 26".

obiter dictum

Reaction score
Great, thanks! Might give this a go, STPs overseas shipping prices are actually survivable.

Any chance I could bother you for a chest pit to pit and a side to side measurement at the middle button?

stant62

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the PSA btw. I ended up purchasing the Flyer waxed cotton jacket to replace my Beaufort. Here's hoping this one is slimmer!

dsmolken

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bounder
I can see what they were going for but it seems to me that they ended up with something that looks completely out-of-place in every environment.
It reminds me of a shortened labcoat for some reason. But isn't there an Orvis sportscoat with a wool body and waxed cotton sleeves? That's even stranger.

CunningSmeagol

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dsmolken
It reminds me of a shortened labcoat for some reason. But isn't there an Orvis sportscoat with a wool body and waxed cotton sleeves? That's even stranger.

This one has a moleskin collar, I believe. I got one. Should be hawt!

Chips

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I doubt my fit pic will help too many since this one is a 2XL. But here is my Barbour that showed up today. It is very comfortable to wear, seems warm, and will be ideal as a beater jacket. I'm not to big on the center vent. The collar going into the gorge has a bad crease in it.

I suppose when you get to a XXL, the term slim fit is kinda relative. I will take it today to my tailor and see if he can have it taken in a bit. It doesn't show too badly in the crappy picture I took, but it wears quite baggy. If I can have it taken in for less than $60 I probably will.

DSCF0636.jpg

Chips

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In case anyone was wondering, they were out of XL's, so I had to go with the 2XL. I figured it would be best to play it safe since one of the earlier posters commented that it felt true to size for a 46 RLPL or something.

All in all, not a bad deal at this price. It's my first waxed cotton jacket so I'm glad to have it. I don't think I could pull off a Belstaff Trailmaster like I wanted....

ville_e

Reaction score
Does anyone know how the sizing is compared to the Barbour Northumbria? Same size and sleeve length?

cchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
does anyone know how Barbour jackets generally fit? I normally wear an 36R jacket... would the size S be too large?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 82 37.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 84 38.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.3%

Forum statistics

Threads