• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

feet stink with dress socks/shoes?

maxgohan

Reaction score
my feet always stink when i wear dress socks with dress sheos...

with my regular kicks and some nice comfy hanes socks i have zero problems.

what gives?

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by maxgohan
my feet always stink when i wear dress socks with dress sheos... with my regular kicks and some nice comfy hanes socks i have zero problems. what gives?
What kind of shoes are we talking about? "Dress" means so many different things to people on this forum... It could be the construction of the shoe...too much plastic or synthetics; or it could be the quality of the leather used in the shoe. It could even be a combination of your body chemistry and the lining in the shoes--an awkward reaction.

maxgohan

Reaction score
i think it may something to do with my socks,
what are some good dress socks that are very breathable

dress shoes meaning just your regular black shoes from aldo or whatever? black leather....

R-H

Reaction score
Originally Posted by maxgohan
i think it may something to do with my socks,
what are some good dress socks that are very breathable

dress shoes meaning just your regular black shoes from aldo or whatever? black leather....

My feet used to sweat torrents when I wore those cheap Aldo/Ken Cole dress shoes. Once I switched to decent calfskin shoes the problem stopped immediately.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by djordje esquire
Have you tried a sprinkle of Roberts Borotalco in your shoes?

That fake parmesan cheese from Kraft that comes in the cardboard tube also works, but you have to sprinkle heavily.

Another thing to try is Botox injections into your feet.

- B

maxgohan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
That fake parmesan cheese from Kraft that comes in the cardboard tube also works, but you have to sprinkle heavily.

- B

lol that seems excessive, i just think there isn't enough air circulation in my dress shoes

i'm gonna try switching to some cotton sports socks and see if that does anything....

upnorth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some people sweat alot more when they are stressed out at work or if they are nervous when giving a speech or presentation or closing a big deal. When they are away from work and relaxed, their feet don't sweat as much. Strange but true.

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My experience is exactly the opposite. Sneakers and sport socks stink; dress shoes don't. I always thought it was because the lining/insoles/etc. in good dress shoes is made of leather instead of synthetic.

bafield

Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria

- B

Vox, I think that your humor was lost on the poster, however, I appreciated it.

sonlegoman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by R-H
My feet used to sweat torrents when I wore those cheap Aldo/Ken Cole dress shoes. Once I switched to decent calfskin shoes the problem stopped immediately.
The tanning process of high quality leather makes for really good antibacterial/antifungal. There are buried treasure found on the ocean floor that was covered in good leather whereby none of the ocean's floor microbes dared entered. My advice: get better shoes.

Lovellum

Reaction score
Your feet sweating is a problem with the socks or the cheap shoes, but the smelly sweat is due to poor diet.

ZON_JR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Try using pocket squares instead of socks.

sonlegoman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lovellum
Your feet sweating is a problem with the socks or the cheap shoes, but the smelly sweat is due to poor diet.
Are you a doctor? Sweat mixes with skin cells and ferments in the presence of bacteria regardless of diet. The key is to kill the bacteria or slow its fermentation process or dry the sweat so that the sweat can't mix with the skin cells. You've got three choices and three approaches. Wear an "antiperspirant" that contains heavy metals that will plug your skin cells so as to produce less sweat. Wear better shoes/socks that have better circulation that dries your feet before the fermentation process can occur. Wear high quality leathers that have a natural antibacterial action due to the acids/tannins in the leather so that even with all the sweat and skin cells, there's no bacteria to ferment the sweat and skin cells. And wash your feet. You'd be surprised at how much dead skin cells cover your feet. It's the place that is covered all day with cloth that is in direct contact. Just like your ball sack, your feet can get pretty grody.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads