• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Martini

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Unless I know the bartender, I specify the ratio for my manhattan, martini, or martinez.

I have specified a 4:1 martini before and had the bartender stare at me blankly, not having a clue what I meant.

What are your ratios on manhattans and martinis?

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mark from Plano
I have specified a 4:1 martini before and had the bartender stare at me blankly, not having a clue what I meant.
That's nothing. I recently asked for a gin martini, stirred, and the guy looked at me like I asked him to piss in my glass. Then he put it in the martini shaker and swirled it around.
confused.gif

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

What are your ratios on manhattans and martinis?

I'm a classic type of guy; 2:1. If they don't have Vya, I won't order a Martini or Martinez.

Originally Posted by Rambo
That's nothing. I recently asked for a gin martini, stirred, and the guy looked at me like I asked him to piss in my glass. Then he put it in the martini shaker and swirled it around.
confused.gif

frown.gif

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
I'm a classic type of guy; 2:1. If they don't have Vya, I won't order a Martini or Martinez
Traditionally, isn't a Martini more of a 3:1 and a Martinez 2:1
Tell me about it

Korben

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Szeph el ratón
That's just Vodka. Why would you call it a Martini?
confused.gif

For me it's 1 part Noilly Prat with 4 or 5 parts Bombay Sapphire. 2 or 3 olives.

Just the way I like it. Hence "my martini." I will have a standard martin 4:1 with dry vermouth occasionally.

But as of late my drink has been Johnny Walker Green Label - neat.

Old stand by - Maker's Mark - neat or on the rocks occasionally.

aKula

Reaction score
I'll be happily drinking one tomorrow afternoon after my last exam this semester. I usually drink a very classic stirred gin martini. Great strong simple taste which really kicks things off in the right direction.

TheIdler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I go with a 3:1 ratio myself. I think the vodka version is nowhere near as interesting, but I won't turn one down if it's offered. I've started to really like anchovy-filled olives as a garnish.

Originally Posted by aKula
I'll be happily drinking one tomorrow afternoon after my last exam this semester.

Cheers to that--but where are you going that the semester ends on October 29???

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

confused.gif

Try to top this: I once asked for a martini with a twist and the bartender took a lemon wedge and squeezed it into the martini.
facepalm.gif
Lesson learned. I never order any mixed drink more complex than a rum and coke at a club.

hi-val

Reaction score
The problem there was going to a club in the first place : )

I try to order only from bartenders that look or act like they drink classic cocktails. If someone doesn't drink a martini off-duty, then they don't know why they're so good. It'd be like me trying to make a good Mind Probe or whatever, I don't drink them so I can't really say what makes them good (except that they need enough sugar to mask the liquor...).

If I can get my hands on orange bitters, I'd like to try a drop in a martini. I haven't had one lately since Noilly Prat changed their formula and I can't find any other good vermouths around here.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser
Try to top this: I once asked for a martini with a twist and the bartender took a lemon wedge and squeezed it into the martini.
facepalm.gif
Lesson learned. I never order any mixed drink more complex than a rum and coke at a club.

laugh.gif
I've just gone to asking for any mixer on the side after I ordered my last scotch with a splash and the bartender took the water nozzle from the soda machine and sprayed it into the glass
plain.gif
. Just barely beats out another bartender who, upon hearing my order for a Knob Creek on the rocks, filled up a rocks glass to the brim with ice, and poured a shot over the top.
confused.gif

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
So if the standard for the Martini is 2:1 then is a Martinez 1:1?

Also, I seem to find Martinez recipes differing between sweet and dry. I thought the recipe called for dry?

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
No joke. After this conversation yesterday, I worked late and thought I'd stop off for a drink on the way home. There's an unnamed mid-to-high range chain steakhouse that I like to frequent because they have a jazz duet or trio in the bar everynight and the waitresses generally provide nice to excellent viewing. The bartenders have generally been passable, though not excellent, but I've been willing to overlook it because of all the other positives. Given my recent change in relationship status it frequently has more than a few attractive, age appropriate female customers as well.

I walk in and the place is virtually deserted (strike #1) and I'm told by the bartender that the band has just gone on a break and won't be back for another 20 minutes (strike #2). The waitress staff on this particular night is the least talented I've ever seen in the place, so I decide to sit at the bar. I tell the (male) bartender, whom I have never seen before, that I'm in the mood for a martini:

Him: "What kind of vodka did you want in that?"
Me: "Um...gin...I'll take Hendricks. You have that, right? I'll take it 3:1, if you don't mind."

He goes and gets the bottle, puts the ice and gin and starts to shake (no vermouth in sight).

Him: "Now...what else did you want in that? You said 3:1...3:1 what?"
Me: "I'm feeling frisky tonight. Why don't we make this particular martini with vermouth."
Him: "Vermouth? OK. Dry or sweet vermouth?"
Me: "Oh, I don't know...how about dry in this one."
(Strike #3...bar fail)

I drank half of it, tipped him $2 for the excellent service and left before the band started back up.

facepalm.gif

Roikins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I drank half of it, tipped him $2 for the excellent service and left before the band started back up.

facepalm.gif

This sounds like a good excuse to carry a bottle of gin, vermouth, and a "martini kit" in your car so you can make your own in a parking lot.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
So if the standard for the Martini is 2:1 then is a Martinez 1:1?

Also, I seem to find Martinez recipes differing between sweet and dry. I thought the recipe called for dry?

Same ratio but using sweet vermouth. That is basically the difference.

FWIW, IMO, Hendricks gin, Vya sweet, dashes of Fee Brother Orange = heaven.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads