• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ESPN's Best-Dressed Analyst

VikingsFan82

Reaction score
Everyone here knows how awfully most ESPN commentators dress: oversized jackets, loud color schemes, HUGE tie knots, etc. The GQ blog just posted about ESPN analyst Jesse Palmer. He used to play for the Giants, and apparently was on "The Bachelor" for one season (didn't realize that before). The dude has a very StyleForum-approved wardrobe: MTM Zegna suits and shirts, spread collars, RLBL ties with four-in-hand knots, TV-fold pocket squares, and Barker Black Stratons. He says he owns 35 suits from Zegna. Wish I had that kind of money. Good read:
Over the years, we've razzed our friends at ESPN—on more than a few occasions—about some of their sartorial choices (memo to Tom Jackson: wearing those cut away–collar, chocolate-brown dress shirts designed by Michael Irvin back in the day—not a good move). But we gotta give credit where credit is due. Have you seen Jesse Palmer lately? The guy's looking so sharp that we're wondering whether our Creative Director, Jim Moore, hasn't been moonlighting in Bristol on game-day Saturdays.
JP%2005.jpg
If you read the magazine, you know that Moore preaches a certain style of dress. And Palmer, one of the network's college football analysts, couldn't be a better example of it: dark, narrow tie (but not too skinny!), semi-spread collar (an icy blue or pale pink shirt always work well), a crisp white pocket square (check out any number of GQ covers over the past year, from Justin Timberlake to LeBron James), and a trim-fitting peak-lapel suit (Palmer's actually one step ahead on this one; keep your eyes open for a fashion story on peak-lapel suits in the upcoming December Men of the Year issue). The former New York Giants backup QB, and star of The Bachelor, got on the phone with us to talk specs on his wardrobe. We have to admit, he's even more...GQ than we expected: Height: 6'2" Weight: 225 Suits: "I wear a 44 Regular, and I get them custom made at the Zegna flagship on Fifth Avenue. I have a hard time buying off the rack because my dimensions are so jacked up." What's up with the peak lapels? "I started wearing skinny ties, and most of my suits were notch-lapel, and they were just wider. They weren't syncing up with the width of the ties. So, with the suits, I wanted to go for a more European look with higher arm holes." Number of Zegna suits he owns: "At least thirty-five—cotton ones, linen, cashmere blends; I even have some velvet ones! I stepped out of bounds a bit a few years ago, when velvet blazers were kind of the thing." Ties: "Alexander Olch or Ralph Black Label. I'll go to Bergdorf Goodman and buy them." Shirts: "Also custom made by Zegna. I've got a 17 1/2–inch football player neck. I haven't lost that yet." Favorite pair of shoes: "A pair of cognac-colored Barker Black brogues. They've got the little skull and crown on the toe. They're really cool."
http://www.gq.com/blogs/the-q/2009/1...d-on-espn.html

ZON_JR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And yet Steve Philips gets all the hot chicks. Go figure.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by VikingsFan82
Everyone here knows how awfully most ESPN commentators dress: oversized jackets, loud color schemes, HUGE tie knots, etc.

I wouldn't lump most ESPN commentators with the sports crowd we usually bash here (think NFL on Fox). Many dress pretty well, on the conservative side etc. Fowler, Herbstreit, Patrick when he was there etc. Not exceptional generally but pretty good.

For that matter, a number of the NFL peeps have improved of late- non-matchy squares, better fits, ties...

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Lou Holtz dresses surprisingly well, IMO. I don't like Herbstreit's shirt collars, but he otherwise dresses fairly well.

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the best part is how charles barkley just let his latest scandal slide off his portly figure and went right back to work...

espn seems to have a very short leash on its employees.

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Archie Manning is the best dressed I've seen...Jesse Palmer is not bad, however.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Palmer must be losing some of his "17 1/2 inch football players neck". His shirt collar is too large and there's that little peak above the knot. I don't like it.

Otherwise it looks pretty decent for a sports analyst.

ZON_JR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

BrianVarick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was going to say Jesse Palmer, he always looks really sharp.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Tiki Barber always looks good. A little google-searching reveals his stuff is also Zegna MTM.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Most Sports Analysts are dressing better on all the channels. I dont think they should dress like the money men with a sixties swank. The GQ editor may, like too many people in the fashion industry, feel the need to make a profound, generalized (and yet subjective) stand.

Sports analysts are not in a conservative industry, do not need to fit in, do not need to compensate for a lack of masculinity and look good in color. Also, they are playing to a demographic that is currently impressed with individuality.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads