• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Tale of Two Cordovan Derbies (AE & Alden)

Xiaogou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Until recently, I never owned cordovan. After seeing so many great pics here, I decided to start buying some. I first got a pair of AE Cambridge in burgundy cordovan to wear with suits. I figured that I needed derbies to wear with more casual clothing.

Inspired by Foo's great looking shoes, I called Alden in SF and ordered a pair of long-wings in color #8. The salesman, James Smith recommended that I go down a half size. I decided to order a pair of AE MacNeil burgundy cordovan shoes as well so that I could compare them. I have always liked AE, but when they switched to that damn black sole that is so uncomfortable, I have been having a lot of doubts.

The Alden in color #8 is actually darker than the AE shoes. Not sure if if Alden darkens theirs or if AE somehow lightens theirs.

I wore each shoe for a day. The Alden shoe has a cushion in the heel which helps with comfort. At the end of the day, I my feet preferred the Alden shoes. The AE does have some cushioning on the side where the arch is. The Alden shoes also seemed to wear a little better.

Anyway, here are the pics:

AE on left, Alden on right
1256693838-1.jpg

Alden on left, AE on right
1256693839-1.jpg

1256693839.jpg

1256693838.jpg

AE
1256693814.jpg

1256693813.jpg

1256693810.jpg

This cushion is a lifesaver...
1256693785.jpg

Alden on left, AE on right
1256693256.jpg

1256693784.jpg

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Nice shoes. It's great to see the side by side comparison.

justsayno

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i agree abt the cushion. i have park avenues and i get worn out wearing them all day. Alden's were a pleasure.

dsgNYC

Reaction score
This is very cool to see the two side-by-side. It looks like the laces on the AE aren't in line with each other. Is this an optical illusion b/c of the camera angle?

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
E looks wider than Alden,Alden definitely takes the cake.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Foo did the right thing in ordering his on the Plaza last.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am mildly curious as to how the color of the insole can affect the comfort of the shoe. I have one pair of A-Es with the black insole, Strand #5 last. They seem to fit much the same as my other four pairs of A-Es on the #5 last.

This post would have been much more informative had the OP posted an evalutation after a year or so's hard wear on both pairs.

LaoHu

Reaction score
It's quite evident that the Alden model has trimmed the sole closer to the body of the shoe. AE looks like a flanged construction.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've got those AEs and love them but they are a hair large and i use tongue pads. Did you size down on them as well?

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
I am mildly curious as to how the color of the insole can affect the comfort of the shoe. I have one pair of A-Es with the black insole, Strand #5 last. They seem to fit much the same as my other four pairs of A-Es on the #5 last.

This post would have been much more informative had the OP posted an evalutation after a year or so's hard wear on both pairs.

+1

One day's wear cannot be a solid comparison.

Xiaogou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dsgNYC
This is very cool to see the two side-by-side. It looks like the laces on the AE aren't in line with each other. Is this an optical illusion b/c of the camera angle?

Nope. That is how it is when the shoe is tied.

Originally Posted by JLibourel

This post would have been much more informative had the OP posted an evaluation after a year or so's hard wear on both pairs.

I see your point. I have no problem writing a review in a year. That black sole is rock hard. The Alden sole "gives" much more than the AE inner sole. I feel that I have to make decisions quickly on comfort for a couple of reasons. First, I am still recovering from surgery where the Achilles attaches to the bone. Comfort is paramount for me. The second issue is that I want to make a quick decision before I end up with 10 pairs that are not comfortable. I did the same thing with my JLP shoes. Wore them for a day and made the decision to buy more.

stant62

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those 975's look good. I can't wait to get my pair later this year.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Both look great. Is it possible to take one more side-by-side shot in the sunshine for us?

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Based on the lasts alone, I think the AE is more attractive. It's close enough not to be a deciding factor, but I think one can get the AE cheaper as well, right?

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
+1. I like the AE toe shape better.

I didn't realize you could order the Alden longwings on a different last. (I admit I didn't read Foo's whole OneShoe thread). A narrower toe would look nicer. Is there an upcharge for this?

I also understand about the hardness of the AE heel. I've found them a little uncomfortable for long wear. All in all both of those cordovan longwings are some nice looking kicks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads