• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How should a 23 year old dress?

Midget Thunderdome

Reaction score
I'm completely clueless and I don't fit in with other people my age style wise.

I basically dress very drab, I worked renovations and as a painter and basically wear alot of plain tshirts and jeans all of which have seen better days. when it's colder i wear a hoodie.

I want to have some style . I'm not going to patronise you and say i want some culture or a deeper aesthetic value. I want to be superficially appealling (especially to a girl
shog[1].gif
)

I have about 1200 dollars (canadian) to spend

All advice, suggestions, sarcastic remarks welcome

Gravitas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1200CAD, isn't that like... 150USD? (10 [ought to have noted my blatant sarcasm]) Lurk moar?
Originally Posted by Midget Thunderdome
I want to be superficially appealling (especially a girl
shog[1].gif
)

Does this help?

botfc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gravitas
1200CAD, isn't that like... 150USD?

Lurk moar?

1200CAD is actually around 1100US

read the paper moar?

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I'm 22 and a half. The wimminz luvs my mullet hair style, my stonewashed jeans, and my white canvas high tops. When I'm truly stylin, I push up my sportcoat sleeves and wear a hot pink tee.

snake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
like a boss!
0918690a-0259-4e79-84ac-26076d545294.jpg
But seriously though, spend some time around these parts, particularly the WAYWT thread and over time you'll get a better idea of how you'd like to dress yourself.

ctrlaltelite

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
dress appropriate for the weather, in clothes that fit you.

if you are athletic, wear clothes that show that you work out, but leave a little to the imagination (so -- no spandex). if you've got a little more to love, consider shirts that aren't baggy, but fit proper on the shoulders, neck, and chest and have a little less taper towards the middle. for pants, make sure they're snug at the waist and thigh (but you can still pinch some fabric while standing), how they fit from the knee down is up to you.

hboogz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Midget Thunderdome
I'm completely clueless and I don't fit in with other people my age style wise.

It should never be about fitting in.

If you really want to change your style, research looks and companies who you think represent you well. Take the time to go into actual stores, try on clothing and determine what works both aesthetically and physically.

Don't fall into buying labels and maintain an objective eye when looking at clothes.

Most importantly, it has to fit. Find a something that fits you well, know your measurements and you will then be in a position to make more informed decisions when you shop.

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If your desire to fit in with people your age, you will need to make a shopping list of the following:

- All over graphic tees
- Hoodies with a sewn-on eagle somewhere
- Ripped, light, pre-distressed jeans
- Striped polo with a number 47 on it
- Rope necklace
- "Humor" tees

thenanyu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by APK
If your desire to fit in with people your age, you will need to make a shopping list of the following:

- All over graphic tees
- Rope necklace
- "Humor" tees

Seriously, do all of that. Do it good.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I actually think this might make an interesting thesis topic for an anthropology of consumption student.

imissopenlayups

Reaction score
Originally Posted by APK

- All over graphic tees
- Rope necklace
- "Humor" tees

don't forget the unkempt hair

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
I say just go to your local mall and buy regurgitated americana fashion.

wagthesam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Robert
I actually think this might make an interesting thesis topic for an anthropology of consumption student.

Its people like him that make me not take arts phds very seriously. Also met a "fashion sociology" phd from tokyo in montreal. rofl..

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics