• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

35 yrs olds - old enough to carry off a hat?

kuwisdelu

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Night Owl
Dude we've seen your pics and the jig is up, just stop
Dude, if you don't like them, that's fine. What reason do I have to lie? Seriously. SF isn't the whole world, as some here may think.

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tsaltzma
+1 It took me a bit to figure that out. Now when I wear one I don't care what other people think, though often I get a positive response. Usually from women, and also older gentlemen.

It's definitely a self-conscious thing.

It's like the first time a college kid (me) tucks in a shirt when going clubbing. You feel like you're trying too hard. Then after a while you realise it just looks better and you'd feel sloppy wearing it untucked.

I think in the rain a good quality hat is great. It's no less affected than an umbrella.

Flashman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Man Of Lint
I would add that whatever the hat, make sure it is of a styling & color that suits your skin tones, face shape & body frame. Not everyone can pull off every style of hat.
There are exceptions ofcourse, but when you are trying on hats and you have one on that looks stunning on you, it's probably the right chioce.
Think also which suits/jackets/coats you will most wear the hat with, when choosing.
Wear with an air of ease and confidence and smile or wink when ladies look & pass by.
You'll get more smiles than you can imagine, and possibly some phone numbers too.

This exactly is it.
I do.
I do - and the ladies DO tend to look a LOT more than they used to! So a smile is always offered!
Waiting for the numbers - i might need to be less shy with the smile!!!
shog[1].gif

Flashman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Classically
You know what? Just buy an Akubra stylemaster in Carbon if you're looking for something casual or for work. The hat's cheap, sturdy and looks just as good as a Stetson or any other hat. I wouldn't recommend it for anything formal though. You might be better off investing in a coke for work but be prepared to catch some flack for it though.

One thing to note, confidence is only half the battle or three quarters if you don't care what other people think.

I have one - and have worn it past 2+ years with my Barbour jackets during winter.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Most of the shops aimed at younger men here are pushing fedoras. So at 35 I'd say you're too old

dsmolken

Reaction score
Start doing it when it's raining. That seems to dull peoples' reactions to hats. I'm 34 and wear brimmed hats when biking in rain or snow.

Classically

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nicola
Most of the shops aimed at younger men here are pushing fedoras. So at 35 I'd say you're too old
Correction. Most hat stores try to push Trilbys onto young men who don't know better. As far as I'm concerned, most young men wear it because they're trying to fit in with the rest of the crowd trying to look like fashionable rappers (I'm just trying to clarify not rant.) as opposed to having any real sense of style.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Zintintin
I think you look very decent in a hat. I think the same of Neofinita(sp?). At the same time I feel like AlanC who is always wearing a hat in the WAYWT thread never really looks great in his hats. Don't get me wrong, from the neck down he looks great ...

Regrettably, that's true with or without the hat...

cimabue

Reaction score
A classic trilby is an excellent entry point into the world of hats for a younger man. So many great brands to choose from: Makins, Bailey of Hollywood, Christy's, etc. The hat shape is very important. I like a stingy brim and low, tear-drop shaped crown. I want to get Christy's Sportsman next for my winter hat and for wear with an Aero Long Half Belt. Lock & Co. might have some nice models but too expensive for me, especially since I can't lay my hands on one before choosing. Not stocked in the US anywhere.

amplifiedheat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
You could be a special exception, but I've never seen a man look earnestly good in a hat who wasn't old enough to have worn hats back when they were regularly worn.

They were young once, too.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Some people look great with a hat and very recently a lot of younger artists have been seen wearing them around like Timberlake or Pete Doherty.

Carrying off a hat is not a question of age but of attitude and look.
I saw a two tone ska last week wearing a hat and the look was brilliant.

The good thing with hats they're so different in shape and form that you will always find one suiting your persona and allround appearance.

Flashman

Reaction score
Gents lets make things clear....we are talking about classic fedora NOT the rappers-with-a-trilby-jeans-waistcoat-and-trainers-look! The right look
public-enemies-depp-bale.jpg
and The WRONG look
ne-yo-vma-1.jpg

cimabue

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flashman
Gents lets make things clear....we are talking about classic fedora NOT the rappers-with-a-trilby-jeans-waistcoat-and-trainers-look!

The right look
public-enemies-depp-bale.jpg

and

The WRONG look
ne-yo-vma-1.jpg

I hardly aspire to looking like a rapper . . .

But I do hope the gangster costume works out for you. Thompson SMGs are cool.

glenjay

Reaction score
The relative shape and style of the hat to the person is very important. I have a rather large head (in more than one context) and I once tried on a stingy brim Trilby, which looked like a Dixie cup sitting on a bowling ball.

I love my wider brim Fedora and Panama hats however, and wear them all the time. My wife has even bought me a Fedora in the past because she thinks I (and most men in her opinion) look great in a hat.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics