• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

35 yrs olds - old enough to carry off a hat?

ZON_JR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bird's One View
Few men that old are still alive. Hats have been in decline since the second world war.

True, but they disappeared fast after JFK was elected in 1962. Men who wore them because they were raised that way might kept wearing them, and younger guys with thinning hair liked hats, but they became pretty rare after 62.

Young guys wearing hats now look costumed. And the technology is gone--no more hat racks, hat blockers, hat check girls.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would add that whatever the hat, make sure it is of a styling & color that suits your skin tones, face shape & body frame. Not everyone can pull off every style of hat.
There are exceptions ofcourse, but when you are trying on hats and you have one on that looks stunning on you, it's probably the right chioce.
Think also which suits/jackets/coats you will most wear the hat with, when choosing.
Wear with an air of ease and confidence and smile or wink when ladies look & pass by.
You'll get more smiles than you can imagine, and possibly some phone numbers too.

Bird's One View

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ZON_JR
True, but they disappeared fast after JFK was elected in 1962. Men who wore them because they were raised that way might kept wearing them, and younger guys with thinning hair liked hats, but they became pretty rare after 62.
Kennedy was elected in 1960. My anecdote suggests that his generation had already largely stopped wearing hats after WWII.
Young guys wearing hats now look costumed. And the technology is gone--no more hat racks, hat blockers, hat check girls.
The lack of accomodation in restaurants and other businesses is an inconvenience. But it pales next to the lack of coat closets in California apartments.

Classically

Reaction score

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think they are wearable for someone in their 30s. Well, I have to say that, because I'm in my 30s and wear one sometimes. In fact, this autumn/winter I've decided to wear them more often and just picked up a dark charcoal grey one to add to the brown one I already own. I wouldn't say I've totally got the vibe down, but the key seems to be finding the right shape/height/brim width for your face, as well as the right degree of "floppiness" to the brim.

I've decided I don't like too wide a brim, esp. if it's stiff and only a moderate height to the crown. I've just added another pic to the WAYWT thread from today (I forgot to upload it earlier).

Classically

Reaction score
You know what? Just buy an Akubra stylemaster in Carbon if you're looking for something casual or for work. The hat's cheap, sturdy and looks just as good as a Stetson or any other hat. I wouldn't recommend it for anything formal though. You might be better off investing in a coke for work but be prepared to catch some flack for it though.

One thing to note, confidence is only half the battle or three quarters if you don't care what other people think.

Zintintin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Holdfast
I think they are wearable for someone in their 30s. Well, I have to say that, because I'm in my 30s and wear one sometimes. In fact, this autumn/winter I've decided to wear them more often and just picked up a dark charcoal grey one to add to the brown one I already own. I wouldn't say I've totally got the vibe down, but the key seems to be finding the right shape/height/brim width for your face, as well as the right degree of "floppiness" to the brim. I've decided I don't like too wide a brim, esp. if it's stiff and only a moderate height to the crown. I've just added another pic to the WAYWT thread from today (I forgot to upload it earlier).
I think you look very decent in a hat. I think the same of Neofinita(sp?). At the same time I feel like AlanC who is always wearing a hat in the WAYWT thread never really looks great in his hats. Don't get me wrong, from the neck down he looks great but the hat doesn't suit him (in my opinion). I think a big part of it is that he always wears these huge hats. Of course no offense to him, it's just my opinion.

Classically

Reaction score
Originally Posted by vwdolly
Wearing a hat requires confidence, if you feel confident it shows ... if you dont it also shows.
I am female but i wear hats all the time, i get stares sometimes but its just people looking at someone who looks different to everyone else... i dont want to look like everyone else. Thats the point. Hold your head high i say
smile.gif

Hooray for counterculture!!

tsaltzma

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Crane's
Nonsense.

The key to wearing a fine hat is not to be self conscious. Just put it on your head and go.

+1 It took me a bit to figure that out. Now when I wear one I don't care what other people think, though often I get a positive response. Usually from women, and also older gentlemen.

kuwisdelu

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tsaltzma
+1 It took me a bit to figure that out. Now when I wear one I don't care what other people think, though often I get a positive response. Usually from women, and also older gentlemen.

+2

Women of all ages seem to like a man in a proper hat, having gotten many a positive comment from undergrad girls to female profs, and this summer my boater was the opener to a half-hour conversation with another hat-loving older gent.

lexybeast

Reaction score
Originally Posted by w.o.e.is.me.
I'm 29 and have begun to wear them with some frequency.
In general, people love it (especially the older generation).
I don't think it comes off as costumey or affected when done properly.

+1... 29 now, and I've been wearing fedoras and caps since I was 21. Wear it confidently and without thinking about it, and it'll look natural to everyone around you.

Night Owl

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kuwisdelu
+2

Women of all ages seem to like a man in a proper hat, having gotten many a positive comment from undergrad girls to female profs, and this summer my boater was the opener to a half-hour conversation with another hat-loving older gent.

Dude we've seen your pics and the jig is up, just stop

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads