• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How Do You Fight The Urge?

upnorth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Perhaps for some, looking at their bank account would provide every reason to shop.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
upnorth;2593184 said:
Perhaps for some, looking at their bank account would provide every reason to shop.[/QUOTE

In that case ,the urge itself doesn't imply the same level of guilt and pleasure at the same time.

If we only bought what we really need, life will not be worth living.

Aluan

Reaction score
I'm really picky, so I buy something only if it happens to be exactly what I want. Otherwise, I go the bespoke route. That pretty much takes care of the urge to get nice-things-that-aren't-exactly-what-I-want on sale. And some (on this forum!) might say that you're already dead if you don't have the urge to buy things you don't need.
smile.gif

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Aluan
I'm really picky, so I buy something only if it happens to be exactly what I want. Otherwise, I go the bespoke route. That pretty much takes care of the urge to get nice-things-that-aren't-exactly-what-I-want on sale.

And some (on this forum!) might say that you're already dead if you don't have the urge to buy things you don't need.
smile.gif

We're not the average Joe on Style forum. We're a weird bunch who love arguing about lapels, suit silhouettes or cut, fabrics and sartorial etiquette.

Do not pay attention to us .

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think about what I already have that is similar and evaluate whether or not the new item would get much use. Once I shift the focus to what I already own, if I own something similar, I can usually resist a new purchase. I also appreciate what I already have and wear the item more.

evil_bond

Reaction score
Originally Posted by VikingsFan82
Hyperbole, yes, but not irony.

I feel like a kid in a candy store when I go to that place. So many options. I just want to buy out the whole store. It's very tempting to overspend there.

I have never quite liked the feel of that store. I walk in hoping to find great deals on clothes, but end up buying just a lot of underwear (which for some reason is always cheaper in the US than in Europe). But maybe if you are good at finding what you want under the Century 21 circumstances and appreciate its "special atmosphere" I guess it can be tempting.

TheDroog

Reaction score
A couple of strategies ...

1. Keep a list of things you want/need and only buy stuff on that list. I keep this on my cell phone. This will cut out stupid impulse purchases most of the time.

2. If you do choose to buy something, promise yourself to get rid of a similar item in your wardrobe. (ie. Buy a new tie, ditch an old tie). This 1:1 acquisition strategy will slow you down, especially if your wardrobe is already complete.

3. Don't go into stores "just to browse."

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
New rule for me is that if i buy something, i need to sell something (ideally whatever it is I'm replacing)

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheDroog
1. Keep a list of things you want/need and only buy stuff on that list. I keep this on my cell phone. This will cut out stupid impulse purchases most of the time.

This is wise.

There is an anecdote in Manton's book about David Niven making sure any new item worked with multiple things in his wardrobe before purchasing. Something like that. The idea is to get maximum effect and use from each new purchase. Thought it was a good deterrent from acquiring stuff you don't really need.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One thing that has helped me tremendously is that I have stopped buying on credit. The other is that I am cheap and will only spend so much for an item. Because I know I can find it later at a huge discount, even if it takes a year or two.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Parker
There is an anecdote in Manton's book about David Niven making sure any new item worked with multiple things in his wardrobe before purchasing. Something like that. The idea is to get maximum effect and use from each new purchase. Thought it was a good deterrent from acquiring stuff you don't really need.

One of the things I never understand is when people post saying they've bought item X and can we suggest things that would go with it.

I'd think these are questions you should be considering BEFORE buying the item.

This is how you end up with stupid purchases that never get worn.

Marton

Reaction score
Just remember to live within your means and think that there are better investments out there that don't depreciate as much or as fast... Like SHOES!
biggrin.gif

why4009

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bigbris1
One thing that has helped me tremendously is that I have stopped buying on credit. The other is that I am cheap and will only spend so much for an item. Because I know I can find it later at a huge discount, even if it takes a year or two.

bigbris1, where can I find a girl that looks like your avatar at a huge discount??
bounce2.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads