• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MBA / Finance wardrobe

why4009

Reaction score
Seriously, given the economic environment and the unknown recovery time, focus on networking, the industry, and doing well in school. You don't need to be best dressed, you need to be either: the most networked guy or the smartest guy.

What is the point of looking good if you don't know anything? I guess at least for the first part "Hi, I am (insert name here)" you are still in the running.

I went to a Top 5 MBA program, so I am not trying to be salty because I am some bitter person. Plenty of poorly dressed people got jobs over their better dressed peers during business school.

Just look presentable, save the rest of your money for all the travel to NYC you need to do on your own dime to network. Unless you are going to school in NYC.

Remember fit is key, brand names only mean so much. I don't remember the post, but someone once said, people can't describe what it is about someone who has everything fitting right but it just looks right. In other words, no can (except people here) say exactly why you look so good but you do and a lot of has to do with good fitting clothes.)

One last thing, since you are starting school next year - try getting into great shape this summer, lose weight get fit develop good eating habits if you don't have them already. Get a head start on networking if you can. Or try to find an internship before school starts to give yourself an advantage.

Good luck!

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why4009
Seriously, given the economic environment and the unknown recovery time, focus on networking, the industry, and doing well in school. You don't need to be best dressed, you need to be either: the most networked guy or the smartest guy.

What is the point of looking good if you don't know anything? I guess at least for the first part "Hi, I am (insert name here)" you are still in the running.

I went to a Top 5 MBA program, so I am not trying to be salty because I am some bitter person. Plenty of poorly dressed people got jobs over their better dressed peers during business school.

Just look presentable, save the rest of your money for all the travel to NYC you need to do on your own dime to network. Unless you are going to school in NYC.

Remember fit is key, brand names only mean so much. I don't remember the post, but someone once said, people can't describe what it is about someone who has everything fitting right but it just looks right. In other words, no can (except people here) say exactly why you look so good but you do and a lot of has to do with good fitting clothes.)

One last thing, since you are starting school next year - try getting into great shape this summer, lose weight get fit develop good eating habits if you don't have them already. Get a head start on networking if you can. Or try to find an internship before school starts to give yourself an advantage.

Good luck!

+100

Don't go overboard on new clothes for bschool. You've got two years (I'm assuming you're doing a 2Y program?) before you're going to need to build a heavy suit rotation. Chances are, too, that you're going to be spending those two years in a small apartment without a ton of closet space. You're going to be dressing casually 99% of the time at school, with recruiting events and the odd formal party being the sole exceptions. So don't bring too many business formal outfits and don't worry about buying too many. What you're planning to work with sounds more than fine in my opinion. Just take good care of your existing suits, rotate them accordingly, and you'll do fine.

Also, you really don't want or need to dress like the pinnacle of SF-approved style for networking events or interviews. Dress well, but dress conservatively. Someone earlier mentioned that most MBAs wear crappy loafers and cheap, solid-black suits. That was definitely the case when I was in bschool, and no one really seemed to care. Just dress decently well and conservatively, and you'll be better dressed than most -- if not all -- of your peers.

The time to go nuts on tailored clothing is when you land a full-time job offer and need to stock up for work. Not now.

calisanfran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
why4009 is spot. No one honestly cares how you are dressed for interviews / networking at b school as long as you aren't wearing something extraordinarily bad. I got the job I was gunning for in b school, and it had nothing to do with my wardrobe but rather all to do with networking, preparation, clear goal of what i wanted to do, etc.

tqd1

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arrogant Bastard
+100

Don't go overboard on new clothes for bschool. You've got two years (I'm assuming you're doing a 2Y program?) before you're going to need to build a heavy suit rotation. Chances are, too, that you're going to be spending those two years in a small apartment without a ton of closet space. You're going to be dressing casually 99% of the time at school, with recruiting events and the odd formal party being the sole exceptions. So don't bring too many business formal outfits and don't worry about buying too many. What you're planning to work with sounds more than fine in my opinion. Just take good care of your existing suits, rotate them accordingly, and you'll do fine.

Also, you really don't want or need to dress like the pinnacle of SF-approved style for networking events or interviews. Dress well, but dress conservatively. Someone earlier mentioned that most MBAs wear crappy loafers and cheap, solid-black suits. That was definitely the case when I was in bschool, and no one really seemed to care. Just dress decently well and conservatively, and you'll be better dressed than most -- if not all -- of your peers.

The time to go nuts on tailored clothing is when you land a full-time job offer and need to stock up for work. Not now.

Good stuff. Thank you. I'm gonna hold off on bespoke suits until after I graduate. I'll look for some deals on stuff like Brooks Brothers, etc. and try to spend $300-500 x2 on 2 suits.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If you're in NJ the brooks at Bridgewater commons is a great one to visit for killer deals.

tqd1

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
If you're in NJ the brooks at Bridgewater commons is a great one to visit for killer deals.

Unfortunately I'm not. Is that an outlet?

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
No its not an outlet, the majority of the end of season merchandise shipped into this store prior to sending it to outlets.

Heavily marked down by that point, and you get a much better selection then you would at the outlets.

Motol12

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tqd1
What are people's thoughts on the Jos A. Bank Signature Gold line?

i.e.

http://www.josbank.com/webapp/wcs/st...1_10050_102112

I have some, they're really overpriced at retail but if you can get them on heavy discount (80%) they're serviceable. You can probably get a corporate discount if you're an M.B.A. student too. I'd rate them on the same level as Hugo Boss but with a much more conservative (what critics call "frumpy") cut.

withstyle

Reaction score
If you're just looking for a few staple suits, I think with a little patience you can, and probably should, try do better than Jos. A. Bank.

you're heading to a top MBA program. start challenging yourself now and don't settle.

tqd1

Reaction score
Originally Posted by withstyle
If you're just looking for a few staple suits, I think with a little patience you can, and probably should, try do better than Jos. A. Bank.

you're heading to a top MBA program. start challenging yourself now and don't settle.

So, wait for the Brooks Brothers sales?
smile.gif

withstyle

Reaction score
sure, Brooks is always reliable.

or, alternatively stalk Yoox, B&S, Shop the Finest, ebay, ehaberdasher, Virtual Clothes Horse, STP, Gilt etc etc

you should have time on your hands. time and patience and you'll probably do better on the above sites. although you can't really afford to hesitate when your staple item(s) come up on B&S or Gilt b/c those items go in a blink.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm not sure how reliably one can count on sites like Gilt for the staples. The more sought-after stuff in any given sale sells out within seconds of the opening bell. Plus you've got a LOT of arbitrage trolls, who stock up on multiple copies of various items for the sole purpose of speculative resale. There's a temptation to buy something you don't really want or need as a sort of consolation prize after you've missed the staple item. And that temptation can be very dangerous to the wallet.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads