• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Red Wing Boots - Your Opinion

onion

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Guy_4HM
Just a head up. Our first Redwing shipment arrived today. It includes the Classic Moc Toe, Work Chukka, and Wabasha Chukka. Pictures, prices, and stock will be up on the blog later today. I'm wearing my black cherry Beckmans right now for the first time and they are great. They haven't really been painful at all yet. For reference, i went down half a size from what i wear in chucks and it worked out perfectly.

Do you use an insole in yours?

guyferguson

Affiliate vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by onion
Do you use an insole in yours?

Nope, not yet anyways. I'm wearing semi-thick socks with them, and i don't think i would have room for an insole. Maybe after they have stretched a bit, but i don't think i will want to use any. I'm about 8 hours in and they are already pretty comfortable.

ArliHawk`

Reaction score
Love my 8138's, but it seems the sole is separating. Seems like a trip to the Red Wing Store might be in order. Bought them brand new less than two weeks ago.

upnorth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I personally like insoles for a few reasons.

They make the shoe a lot more comfortable. Redwing original built in sole are pretty bare and can be a little difficult to wear.

Adding the insoles allows you to remove them for washing and airing, reducing odor and bacteria.

Finally, they are replaceable, unlike the original built in soles.

dragonxking

Reaction score
the beckman mocs are so sick. but i went with the 1907 boot. something about that crepe sole..each step i take is silent. ninja status

Ge Fuzz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by upnorth
I personally like insoles for a few reasons.

They make the shoe a lot more comfortable. Redwing original built in sole are pretty bare and can be a little difficult to wear.

Adding the insoles allows you to remove them for washing and airing, reducing odor and bacteria.

Finally, they are replaceable, unlike the original built in soles.

Yeah I gotta have insoles. Even a thin one is better than none. I use a thin oder eater in my GTs. Without it its like walking on pavement.

ctrlaltelite

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
got my dark corn row rwi's yesterday. definitely not as hard on my feet as US red wings and lined pretty well, the leather really is more supple and they look and feel great. gonna be a great go-to boot for crappy winter days.

Zintintin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by onion
Just kopped the most bad ass Red Wing boots ever made, period.

Ronnie Fieg (at David Z) x Red Wing collab

DavidZRedWing-001.jpg

red-wing-8-hole-davidz-10-540x378.jpg

I'm just hoping they fit. They were released last Thursday, and are already sold out of most sizes.

So. So. Sick.

aeglus

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
149v912.jpg
My new 2268s. The instep is painfully tight right now, hoping that repeated use of mink oil, a hair dryer, and a long wooden stick will make it better so that I can at least wear normal socks with these instead of paper-thin dress socks. Sucks because they're perfect otherwise
frown.gif
edit: I'm an impatient bastard so I just did the tried and true method of soaking these guys in water while wearing them until they dry. Hoping that works out.

illumin8em

Reaction score
I had an old guy in a farmers surplus store near where i live ell me to do the same thing. Not with engineers, with a pair of RW pecos, but what works for should work for he other... right?

where did you hear about this method?

Originally Posted by aeglus
149v912.jpg

edit: I'm an impatient bastard so I just did the tried and true method of soaking these guys in water while wearing them until they dry. Hoping that works out.

jakejake

Reaction score
Are the RW Classics suitable for hiking? Can someone post pictures of the worn out pairs.

WhoKnewI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ctrlaltelite
got my dark corn row rwi's yesterday. definitely not as hard on my feet as US red wings and lined pretty well, the leather really is more supple and they look and feel great. gonna be a great go-to boot for crappy winter days.

Have the same ones. They are virtually waterproof.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aeglus
149v912.jpg

My new 2268s. The instep is painfully tight right now, hoping that repeated use of mink oil, a hair dryer, and a long wooden stick will make it better so that I can at least wear normal socks with these instead of paper-thin dress socks. Sucks because they're perfect otherwise
frown.gif

From here on out, your only clothing purchases will be: a new pair of selvedge jeans once a year or every two years, and a new pack of V-neck undershirts once in awhile. You are Marlon Brando.

Omega Man

Reaction score
Which would you recommend to wear with jeans? 9010 Beckman Moc Toe or the 9011 GT? I kinda like the moc toe, but I am open for suggestions. Any differences between the two (aside from the moc toe) in terms of constructions / materials?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads