• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ScottMan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sonick
If the RX7 had the engine had the 1.8l that was in the Miata, that would be my perfect car. I love the Miata but can't stand the lack of rigidity and cowl shake of a convertible.
Yikes...that would be a pretty underpowered car methinks. 700 more pounds in the RX7 definitely wouldn't do that 1.8 much justice.

Out of curiosity, what is the...umm...reaction to a car like the RX7 among you most stylish of men? Does it look like a tuner car or like a rare sports car or what? I've had a couple of clueless people ask me if it was a Maser...which made me feel pretty good. Haha.

I built a "tuner" car but could never really get comfortable driving it. It was too harsh or too low or just too ostentatious to walk to after Saturday breakfast out. I sure hope ostentatious isn't what the RX7 conveys.

Mannix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flambeur
You can probably pick one up in a pretty nice condition for around $5K nowdays.. 1998-2002. I actually have a bit of a soft spot for those, plus if I ever needed to make a few bucks I can turn it into an actual towncar..

Originally Posted by oneeightyseven
mine was a lot more than 5g's.

As was mine. But LTCs do depreciate rather quickly...doesn't bother me any though.

Robes of Executiveness

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mannix
Nice Lankin...too small for my tastes but I love that grill.

Anything other than an Audi A8 is too small for taste, but the grill is hate. A8L has the most rear legroom aside from a custom mulliner bentley.

http://www.vwvortex.com/gallery/gall...ge%20Limosine#
001__scaled_600.jpg

002__scaled_600.jpg

This isn't the L series, but you get the idea of interior luxuriousness.
http://www.thhe.dk/Audi_A8_3,7.htm
Audi_A8_3,7-Interior05.jpg

Robes of Executiveness

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
Remember that German cars made a leap in tech around 2000 (MB) and 2002 (BMW) and had lots of problems with the early models. They now seem to have worked things out, and have made great advances as a result. I love what's available now.
And we barely get HALF what's available still.

They've had TMC traffic serivce, TV tuners for their nav systems, and a host of safety features we get late or not at all after testing over there. It took ESP 2-3 years to make it onto the US German models, and now it's mandated for all cars. Audi has had SD card readers since '04 or so I think. It's amazing xenon headlights still aren't mandatory. I have them.

Mannix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Robes of Executiveness
Anything other than an Audi A8 is too small for taste, but the grill is hate. A8L has the most rear legroom aside from a custom mulliner bentley.

This isn't the L series, but you get the idea of interior luxuriousness.

Well I certainly can't afford a Bentley...I'd buy a Rolls if I were a big timer anyways. The L Series Town Car seems to have more room than the A8, and if not it's damn close. I just think the Audi grill and and tail light set up is ugly. I never saw an A8L in person, so IDK what the difference is between the A8 and A8L...

Dashing1

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ScottMan
Yikes...that would be a pretty underpowered car methinks. 700 more pounds in the RX7 definitely wouldn't do that 1.8 much justice.

Out of curiosity, what is the...umm...reaction to a car like the RX7 among you most stylish of men? Does it look like a tuner car or like a rare sports car or what? I've had a couple of clueless people ask me if it was a Maser...which made me feel pretty good. Haha.

I built a "tuner" car but could never really get comfortable driving it. It was too harsh or too low or just too ostentatious to walk to after Saturday breakfast out. I sure hope ostentatious isn't what the RX7 conveys.

Had a '93 RX7 a number of years ago & loved the way it drove. In retrospect, it does strike me as a tuner car. Don't really love the looks of it anymore...I think it now looks like a boy's car. A distinguished man would look a bit out of place emerging from one. However, I may just be getting old, and I do think that a man can always justify the owning of a great-performing car (as long as it doesn't look too pimped from the exterior).

At the time, I hated to get rid of it, but it really was too small for me (my head was consistently pressed to the ceiling). A guy at the gym offered me a few grand more than I paid for it, and it was gone!

ScottMan

Reaction score
^^^Hmm...well that's a bit disconcerting. I do agree with you that I can't see a "distinguished man" getting out of one. I guess I was hoping for more of a stylish man in a slim suit not looking ridiculous getting out of one. To me, it's more toward the Aston Martin (obviously not in the same class) side than the Civic Si side. I'm quite interested in getting more honest opinions on this if you guys would be so kind.

Mannix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by oneeightyseven
IIRC ~ 6inches longer wheelbase.

So pretty much going from a normal Town Car to an L Series...? Although the LTC is way better IMO.

Robes of Executiveness

Reaction score
I'm very harsh on the domestics, and after looking at the lincoln, my opinion still hasn't changed.
The technology and amenities just aren't there. It'll take a lot to drag me away from my Audi or any German brand for that matter, even if it's 5 yrs old compared to new.

Older A8s come fully packed, with few upgrade options, some of those being reclining rear seats, and split seats on the W12 model, and front acoustic cruise control, quad zone climate control

Standard stuff is front/rear heated seats

all wheel drive

16 way front seats, they even arch your back in the middle if desired, new models have headrest conforming

bi-xenons- which I instantly replaced with e-codes

rear DRIVER side foglight - no the other one isn't burnt out, it's suposed to be that way

front/rear park assist

every dial/knob/switch is LED lit, even the door sills/handles and overhead buttons-can be adjusted using MMI

DVD navigation, which if you know where to look the update DVDs can be had for free - new 3G MMI has 3d landmarks/buildings, like my navigon portable GPS

adjustable suspension

9 airbags

and lots of other easter eggs (but then this is a $80,000 retail car - $20-30,000 used) like hidden pockets and sensors monitoring every nook and cranny for burnt out bulbs to worn brake pads, which does add to cost and maintenance if something should go wrong, but it's worth it to me. And luckily I have not had any electrical gremlins unlike others making claims.

But this is coming from someone who changes his own oil with 5w40 group 4 full synth German brand Lubro Moly, and NGK spark plugs. I'm not a noob when it comes to researching or taking care of a car to make sure it lasts or fixing it myself.

Ah, forgot to mention, mulliner alsp does custom Rolls limos. I beleive I saw one online. It'd be an improvement over the stock. The interior seems bland compared to Bentley, but I kind of like the facia of the Rolls more. I also saw a Mercedes limo from the 90s I think, it had rear facing passenger seats as well. Something you might see in a motor home or tour bus setup for conferences.

Mannix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm very harsh on the domestics, and after looking at the lincoln, my opinion still hasn't changed.
The technology and amenities just aren't there. It'll take a lot to drag me away from my Audi or any German brand for that matter, even if it's 5 yrs old compared to new.

Older A8s come fully packed, with few upgrade options, some of those being reclining rear seats, and split seats on the W12 model, and front acoustic cruise control

Standard stuff is front/rear heated seats

bi-xenons

rear DRIVER side foglight - no the other one isn't burnt out, it's suposed to be that way

every dial/knob/switch is LED lit, even the door sills/handles and overhead buttons-can be adjusted using MMI

DVD navigation, which if you know where to look the update DVDs can be had for free - new 3G MMI has 3d landmarks/buildings, like my navigon portable GPS

adjustable suspension

and lots of other easter eggs like hidden pockets and sensors monitoring every nook and cranny for burnt out bulbs to worn brake pads, which does add to cost and maintenance if something should go wrong, but it's worth it to me. And luckily I have not had any electrical gremlins unlike others making claims.

But this is coming from someone who changes his own oil with 5w40 group 4 full synth German brand Lubro Moly, and NGK spark plugs. I'm not a noob when it comes to researching or taking care of a car to make sure it lasts or fixing it myself.

All that stuff is nice, but if the car is ugly(as any Audi is IMO) it's never going to be in my garage.

uhurit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's my progression;

Nissan Sentra Station Wagon
Saab 9-3
Saab 9-3 Viggen
Saab 9-3 Aero
Saab 9-5 Aero 5-speed
worship.gif
worship.gif
worship.gif

Mannix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by uhurit
Here's my progression;

Nissan Sentra Station Wagon
Saab 9-3
Saab 9-3 Viggen
Saab 9-3 Aero
Saab 9-5 Aero 5-speed
worship.gif
worship.gif
worship.gif

You must like Saabs...any particular reason? jw

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm very harsh on the domestics... The technology and amenities just aren't there.

Same here. I'm too used to German tech and amenities to switch at this point; however, I do keep my eyes open for something domestic that might fancy me. I did try domestic a few years back,but after a year I couldn't take it any longer.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads