• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I Just Bought a... (Wine, Spirit, or Beer)

Drogue

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cadillac37
I finally found a bottle of Cragganmore Distillers Edition. It is fantastic.
While it's a very nice, I was mildly disappointed with this. I was really hoping for a more complex and refined balance between the port finish and the slightly-rustic highland style. I probably shouldn't be expecting something spectacular at the price, but I much preferred the Dalwhinnie DE I bought with it.

Originally Posted by ama
Stagg has arrived!

3967158709_7533d18303.jpg

I hardly ever open stuff the day I get it, but Stagg is an exception. So chewy and chocolaty. A must buy in my opinion!

While I realise everyone raves about Stagg, I'm shocked you found an Old Rare Malts bottling of Brora '81! That's a whisky I'd love to try - a well-aged vintage from truly great distillery handled by people who really know what they're doing with single casks. Very well found!

I've been doing a bit of shopping the last couple of weeks. Have picked up:

- Talisker 175th Anniversary Edition (the distillery's own blend of 16-34 year old single malt Taliskers)
- Dalwhinnie 15yo (I wanted to see if it was as mindblowingly good as the DE. Sadly it isn't, but it's a nice drop)
- Jack Daniels Barrel Select (sadly it's the only semi-decent Bourbon-like whiskey I could find and I needed something for Old Fashioneds)
- Bramley & Gage Quince Liqueur

Next on the list is the Glenkinchie 1989 DE, seen for the staggeringly good price of £29
biggrin.gif

Pezzaturra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Johnny Walker Green Label (mix of 5 named malts Cragganmore among them) -My new fav.
Delamain Tres Venerable Grand Champagne Cognac (50 y.o.) bought it for a song from a large liquor store that had it covered in dust in the back of the Cognac display case
smile.gif
God bless the ignorant.

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Drogue
While it's a very nice, I was mildly disappointed with this. I was really hoping for a more complex and refined balance between the port finish and the slightly-rustic highland style. I probably shouldn't be expecting something spectacular at the price, but I much preferred the Dalwhinnie DE I bought with it.

While I realise everyone raves about Stagg, I'm shocked you found an Old Rare Malts bottling of Brora '81! That's a whisky I'd love to try - a well-aged vintage from truly great distillery handled by people who really know what they're doing with single casks. Very well found!

I've been doing a bit of shopping the last couple of weeks. Have picked up:

- Talisker 175th Anniversary Edition (the distillery's own blend of 16-34 year old single malt Taliskers)
- Dalwhinnie 15yo (I wanted to see if it was as mindblowingly good as the DE. Sadly it isn't, but it's a nice drop)
- Jack Daniels Barrel Select (sadly it's the only semi-decent Bourbon-like whiskey I could find and I needed something for Old Fashioneds)
- Bramley & Gage Quince Liqueur

Next on the list is the Glenkinchie 1989 DE, seen for the staggeringly good price of £29
biggrin.gif

Thanks for noticing the Brora! I haven't opened it yet, but I have had the '82 and its amazing.
Talisker 175t is pretty good, but a bit muddled. You ought to look for Talisker 57 North or the 18. They are very balanced and delicious.
The JD Barrel Select is not worth the money, just tastes like a little more refined regular JD and thats not really a compliment.
Dalwhinnie 15yo is fine, and that about says it. Nothing too exciting. HP is a better Highlands malt.
Glenkinchie 1989 DE sounds very good. I like the current Glenkinchie DE and would love to taste an older one!

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PandArts
Well at Just Grapes it's something like $20.99 but cheaper with my discount! Johnny picked his bottles up for $13 or $14 bucks a pop IIRC!!! It's well worth it at any of the above price points.

You can get in online from Just Grapes for 20% off the in store price.

Cool. I'll be home on the 15th, make sure you guys have a bottle in stock for me.
smile.gif

Edit: Fack, nvmind. 15th is a Sunday-- goddamn Bible Belt liquor laws. I'll try to come in on the 14th and pick up a bottle.

Drogue

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ama
Thanks for noticing the Brora! I haven't opened it yet, but I have had the '82 and its amazing.
Dare I ask how much that cost, and where you found it?
Originally Posted by ama
Talisker 175t is pretty good, but a bit muddled. You ought to look for Talisker 57 North or the 18. They are very balanced and delicious.
See, I'm no huge fan of Talisker normally, so I like the 175 as it's a departure from the standard, with a more feminine, softer edge to it. I can see how people could find it muddled, but I much prefer it to the 57 North and the 18yo, even though I'd admit the 18yo is a better whisky - tasting the 18yo I did think "if you like this sort of thing, this is utterly incredible drop", but it's not really my sort of style. I'm much more of a Highland or Lowland fan.
Originally Posted by ama
The JD Barrel Select is not worth the money, just tastes like a little more refined regular JD and thats not really a compliment.
Given the other alternatives, it was the best around here
frown.gif
I found it surprisingly enjoyable actually, but then I wasn't expecting much and you're right that it's overpriced. I'm going to try and find somewhere that sells something better, but that's not an easy job this side of the Atlantic though.
Originally Posted by ama
Dalwhinnie 15yo is fine, and that about says it. Nothing too exciting. HP is a better Highlands malt.
That seems like a bit of a strange comparison to me. HP is a very strong, distinctive Island malt, whereas Dalwhinnie is a gentle, soft dram. I entirely agree it's nothing too exciting though - the Tomintoul 16yo completely outclasses it (about the nearest style I can find), as does the DE, though they're both a bit dearer.
Originally Posted by ama
Glenkinchie 1989 DE sounds very good. I like the current Glenkinchie DE and would love to taste an older one!
Over here, this is the current one! It's interesting how they sell different things

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Drogue
Dare I ask how much that cost, and where you found it?

See, I'm no huge fan of Talisker normally, so I like the 175 as it's a departure from the standard, with a more feminine, softer edge to it. I can see how people could find it muddled, but I much prefer it to the 57 North and the 18yo, even though I'd admit the 18yo is a better whisky - tasting the 18yo I did think "if you like this sort of thing, this is utterly incredible drop", but it's not really my sort of style. I'm much more of a Highland or Lowland fan.

Given the other alternatives, it was the best around here
frown.gif
I found it surprisingly enjoyable actually, but then I wasn't expecting much and you're right that it's overpriced. I'm going to try and find somewhere that sells something better, but that's not an easy job this side of the Atlantic though.

That seems like a bit of a strange comparison to me. HP is a very strong, distinctive Island malt, whereas Dalwhinnie is a gentle, soft dram. I entirely agree it's nothing too exciting though - the Tomintoul 16yo completely outclasses it (about the nearest style I can find), as does the DE, though they're both a bit dearer.

Over here, this is the current one! It's interesting how they sell different things

Brora
The Brora was about $125, I found it at a store that probably didn't really know what they were selling =)

Talisker
If you don't really like the Talisker pepper, I can understand why you like the 175. I am fan of the profile so the 175 doesn't cut it for me. Unfortunately, I can't find the 18 in the states anymore.

Bourbon
I would look for significantly cheaper bourbons, many on of them are great. If you PM me and tell me what they have over there I might be able to help you further.

Dalwhinnie
Perhaps it wasn't the most spot on comparison, as HP is technically an Island malt (although often the Islands and bundled with the Highlands when people compare regions), but to my tastes the Dalwhinnie 15 tastes like a muted version of the HP 12 or 15. It has a little sweet and and a little peat, but not a discernible amount of either really. The HP also has both and its much bolder.

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
What does a Fireblock Grenache cost? All this talk is making me want to try it.
Originally Posted by PandArts
Well at Just Grapes it's something like $20.99 but cheaper with my discount! Johnny picked his bottles up for $13 or $14 bucks a pop IIRC!!! It's well worth it at any of the above price points. You can get in online from Just Grapes for 20% off the in store price.
I got it here. http://www.wineoutlet.com/product.aspx?Item=5646 After I ordered it they called me to confirm my order and informed me that they only had about 10 '04s left so dont sit on this if you are looking to pick this wine up. They have some great prices on other wines also.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Just bought a few bottles of Spanish Grenache, Grenacha de Fuego. Seven bucks at Cost Plus and got an 88 from Tanzer. Wife is still on her Grenache jag, so thought we'd give it a try.

Crawford

Reaction score
Bought a bunch of bottles recently, to stock up the cellar...

Whites (for her):

2008 Quails Gate Dry Riesling
2008 Cedar Creek Pinot Gris

img6431i.jpg

Reds (for me):

2006 Mission Hill Compendium
2006 Mission Hill Oculus
2006 Mission Hill Quatrain

img6432hq.jpg

2006 Sumac Ridge Meritage
2007 Quails Gate Old Vines Foch

img6434j.jpg

And a couple cheaper Bordeauxs from a month ago...

img6435p.jpg

The Compendium, Oculus and Meritage are all BC made Boredaux-style blends that should have good 5-10 year aging capability. The Quatrain is 50% Syrah, and the other half is a combination of the Bordeaux grapes. The Old Vines Foch is a bit of cult-wine in BC, it should age well for 5 years.

The actual Bordeaux are on the cheaper end that we get around here, will probably drink them within the next year.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Picked up a bottle of the Kirkland Signature 19 year old Macallan from Costco. About $50 in Japan. Yay for low alcohol tax.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Crawford, great pics, but you might think of resizing them.

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
please resize

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stop posting for the sake of posting dude.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads