• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

AE shoes in Walnut with Navy Suits?

Bird's One View

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Navy with black shoes is uncontroversial. I prefer #8 (burgundy) though.

Ahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by viator
Sorry, I'm new here - is there a general consensus on wearing navy with black shoes?
Black shoes are not looked highly upon in this forum though for conservative business dress I often see black as the only pairing with a navy suit.

viator

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bird's One View
Navy with black shoes is uncontroversial. I prefer #8 (burgundy) though.

Originally Posted by Ahab
Black shoes are not looked highly upon in this forum though for conservative business dress I often see black as the only pairing with a navy suit.

Thanks very much.

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arrogant Bastard
Note to OP: JankyPose(tm) not necessarily required when you put on the shoes and the suit.
The vox approved version: JankyPose™

Jack2000

Reaction score
I wear walnut and light brown with navy suits and navy odd trousers.

acconrad

Reaction score
Originally Posted by IBJanky
Here's a pic of me in a navy suit and some similar colored shoes:

IMG_9655.jpg

Looks good to me
biggrin.gif

myke

I just got the Fairhavens...the older version of the McAllister...in what I think is walnut. They are definitely darker in person, look like yours. I totally want to pair mine with my navy suit! Great look!

To the OP:

WHY NOT?

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would unhesitatingly wear walnut A-Es with a navy suit. I don't own any walnut A-Es, but I have worn the similar chili and chestnut colored shoes with navy suits and slacks with some frequency. I would deem this combination too sporty for a funeral, but otherwise fine. Very Italian, I'm told.

Chim12

Reaction score
These look great with navy and I'm sure they'll look great with a med grey as well, no worries

magogian12345

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the suggestions. I went ahead and grabbed a pair of the AE Strands in walnut for $190. At that price, why not?

suitntieguy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by magogian12345
Thanks for all the suggestions. I went ahead and grabbed a pair of the AE Strands in walnut for $190. At that price, why not?

The AE strand in walnut is one of the nicest pair they made. i own them and not only do I love it but I wear it with navy all the time. good buy

upnorth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Guys, help me out in this predicament, I am considering between two pairs of shoes, the AE Strand in walnut at $200 or a pair of Handgrades C&J Selbourne Chestnut antique calf for $450. Which would be a better buy keeping in mind the following attributes: value, design and sleekness as well versatility of use.

Actual pictures of either pairs would be very much appreciated.

The Transporter

Reaction score
Originally Posted by upnorth
Guys, help me out in this predicament, I am considering between two pairs of shoes, the AE Strand in walnut at $200 or a pair of Handgrades C&J Selbourne Chestnut antique calf for $450. Which would be a better buy keeping in mind the following attributes: value, design and sleekness as well versatility of use.

Actual pictures of either pairs would be very much appreciated.

Good question as I'm debating the same thing at the moment - buying the cheaper AEs or saving up to buy the better C&Js.

LesterSnodgrass

Reaction score
Walnut shoe looks fine with navy IMO. But I wouldn't do it unless it paired with braces or side tab adjusters on the trousers -- a light colored belt on a navy suit breaks up the wearer's midsection and looks way off to my eye.

Xiaogou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by magogian12345
What do you all think about this shoe with navy suits?

You will be praised at your law firm for the color combo!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads