• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Barbour Bedale or Beaufort

sunman42000

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I'm gearing up to make a purchase of my first Barbour. I want it to be a jacket I can wear everyday, and possibly through part of winter with the waistcoat liner. However, after trying on both the Bedale and Beaufort, I'm still unable to make up my mind. If you had to pick one or the other, which would it be - why? For reference, I'm a younger guy (27), wear Ralph Lauren and the like daily (oxford, tie, chinos, boat shoes/RL Darlton Marlow)

thanks guys

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wanted the Bedale but I'm too tall for it so I opted for the Beaufort.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
a related question: I live in Southern California, where it sometimes rains but rarely gets below 50 degrees. would either of these jackets be appropriate for rain gear? removable lining or something?

sunman42000

Reaction score
^ There's no removeable lining. However, Barbour does make a raincoat

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought the bedale for use mostly in town, because I find its shorter length slightly more flattering and a little less countrified and its elasticated cuffs more comfortable than the cuffs on the beaufort. It is still a perfectly practical bit of country wear, but the beaufort is better for this as the longer length keeps more of you dry and it has a game pocket so it is better for shooting etc. That said the game pocket is pretty handy in town when doing a light shop up at the supermarket.
Which one is better depends what you want out of it.

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by foodguy
a related question: I live in Southern California, where it sometimes rains but rarely gets below 50 degrees. would either of these jackets be appropriate for rain gear? removable lining or something?

Even without lining the waxed ones might be a little warm wearing, try one and see. They do however make jackets in similar styles that are waterproof and designed for summer use, so one of them might work for you.

Originally Posted by sunman42000
^ There's no removable lining. However, Barbour does make a raincoat

You buy the lining, a padded or fleece waistcoat, separately for most of their jackets.

PhiloVance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have both. I like the Bedale better for wearing with khakis, business casual. Its not as long and I have it in 42 which is my regular size. It is fine for rain due to the wax. Temperature wise, you can probably wear the barbours anywhere from about 40-55 degrees fahrenheit. with perhaps a pullover merino wool sweater over your dress shirt and feel comfortable. The Beaufort is a bit longer so I prefer to wear it with blazers or suits. I know some people get bent out of shape because it doesnt completely cover the blazer/suit jacket, but I dont mind. The Border is just too long in my opinion. I went up a size to 44 for the Beaufort. It fits perfectly with the fur lining, is a bit loose without it, but again is perfectly sized for wear with a blazer/suit jacket. I have worn the Beaufort all winter long with the lining. Very warm.

Bottom line: if you dont wear a suit or blazer much, I'd go with the bedale, true to size. If you want it to cover your suit jacket/blazer, try the beaufort one size up.

sunman42000

Reaction score
^ With the liner and a sweater underneath, what temp do you think the Bedale is good for? Wondering if it could be used for most of a Chicago winter (aside from the insane days of -10 degrees F).

PhiloVance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think I wore the Beaufort through most of last winter with the lining, gloves and a scarf and it was generally fine. Where you tend to feel the cold more is in the sleeves where there's no lining. I'm not sure if it gets much colder in Chicago than NYC - I generally wore the Barbour until it got down below the 30s. Then I went with a bear parka, northface, etc.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by foodguy

I've got this one: Lightweight (Summer) Beaufort. It's awesome but not for the skinny.

I've got this one for when temps drop:

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Big,what is the name of the second jacket?

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They call it the Quail Hunting Jacket but YMMV because I never hunt quail
smile.gif

Click the pic to take you to more info. I got both of mine on STP for ~$135 each stacking coupons.

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bigbris1
They call it the Quail Hunting Jacket but YMMV because I never hunt quail
smile.gif

Click the pic to take you to more info. I got both of mine on STP for ~$135 each stacking coupons.

Great, thanks. I've been looking for something like this. Does it run slim? I am 40R,should I get Medium or Large?

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bigbris1
I've got this one: Lightweight (Summer) Beaufort. It's awesome but not for the skinny.

cool! love that jacket. and just my luck! i'm not skinny.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
for anyone who is interested in those summer beauforts, there is a pretty good price on them on Sierra Trading Post right now. Sadly, in Large and Medium, color choice is very limited. But still ... less than $200.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Staff online

Forum statistics