• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

hboogz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From This...

Originally Posted by hboogz
IMG_1556.jpg

To This..

I'd say it's a pretty big improvement. But i'm sure there will still be some hate..

IMG_1690.jpg

dshack

Reaction score
Anyone buy the waterproof version? How waterproof is the standard version?

rcd213

Reaction score
From This...

To This..

I'd say it's a pretty big improvement. But i'm sure there will still be some hate..

IMG_1690.jpg

They look totally different when they're treated. Personally, I certainly think they look better when they're treated, however, the rugged look also isn't bad IMO. I'm planning on picking up a pair when I head down to DC in a few weeks from the retail store. I'll treat them as soon as I get them because I'm looking for a relatively "dressier" boot, unlike my current selection, which really don't fit the bill.

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dshack
Anyone buy the waterproof version? How waterproof is the standard version?

Standard version should be fine. I stood in the rain for three hours at a football game the other day and was fine.

pandamonium

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rcd213
They look totally different when they're treated. Personally, I certainly think they look better when they're treated, however, the rugged look also isn't bad IMO. I'm planning on picking up a pair when I head down to DC in a few weeks from the retail store. I'll treat them as soon as I get them because I'm looking for a relatively "dressier" boot, unlike my current selection, which really don't fit the bill.

You're not talking about the Tyson's Corner LL Bean, are you? Because they don't carry these boots there.

kidtwist91

Reaction score
From This...

To This..

IMG_1690.jpg

What did you treat these with?

beowolf

Reaction score
I really like the look of these boots, I tried to find them at Tysons corner in DC, but sadly they don't have them in stock.

Mexicorn

Reaction score
*EDIT*

What kidtwist91 said... I see the Obenauf's cream, but did you do anything else? Did you need a lot of coats to be able to get that dark a color?

AntiHero84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, I finally caught up with this thread and I guess I stand corrected.

Besides, the last couple pics are making me rethink the Katahdins.

hboogz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kidtwist91
What did you treat these with?

The product is in the picture. Obenauf's Heavy Duty LP.

Originally Posted by porcelain monkey
Standard version should be fine. I stood in the rain for three hours at a football game the other day and was fine.

+1 Not even sure why you'd want to buy a waterproof version, when you can just apply Obenauf's and waterproof them. Besides, prior to the treatment i've been in several rain storms and they fared just fine.

Originally Posted by Mexicorn
*EDIT*

What kidtwist91 said... I see the Obenauf's cream, but did you do anything else? Did you need a lot of coats to be able to get that dark a color?

I only used one coat. As per a recommendation by rapefruit, I plan on applying a second coat tonight.

hboogz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AntiHero84
Well, I finally caught up with this thread and I guess I stand corrected.

Besides, the last couple pics are making me rethink the Katahdins.

Glad the picture was able to assuage your resistance towards the boots. I admit the first fit picture was murdered by flash and poorly lit room, but untreated, i still really like the boots.

Clemson

Reaction score
I'm planning on applying Obenauf's Heavy Duty LP to a pair of Katahdin engineering boots. Do I need to also apply Sno-Seal to waterproof them or will just Obenauf's suffice?

wannabeagiant

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Clemson
I'm planning on applying Obenauf's Heavy Duty LP to a pair of Katahdin engineering boots. Do I need to also apply Sno-Seal to waterproof them or will just Obenauf's suffice?

They're pretty much the same thing.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads