• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or just downright pissed, RIGHT NOW!

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JetBlast
I feel really bitchy for posting so much in here, now.

My manager called me earlier letting me know that headquarters needs me to go to a 3-week training course in NYC starting Monday. Today is Tuesday, this is less than a week's notice. If I do not go to this training my job is seriously on the line because I was due to be laid off this winter anyway, fortunately my manager saved ****** on that one by appealing to headquarters. Apparently HQ is really pressing for me to do this course.

Unfortunately I have school during these 3 weeks and for as much as I don't like school, I can't just clip off 3 weeks of courses (as well as a midterm during one of these weeks). I love my job but I know I need school, unfortunately I think I'm going to have to go with the school on this one but I would be completely lost without my job. I have no idea what to do.

Needless to say, to hear that this may be happening has been absolutely blindsiding. Dammit headquarters.

I am honestly sorry to hear it.

but my advice would be don't **** up your school. good luck

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jesus christ it's like 40 ******* degrees outside.

This is the second day of nothing but rain here in DC and it's freezing.

Also, women.

I am already feeling some effects of my winter depression starting to mess with me, and it's only October 20. ****.

Spend a winter in Finland and I swear you'll come back loving DC winters.

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
+ a trillion. Just imagine, those with BAs can't get jobs, just imagine the difficulty faced by those without!

Fixed.
wink.gif

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe it's just not meant to work, I have no idea
confused.gif

I get what you mean by "trying to date," so don't fret over that.

And jesus christ, stop over-thinking it. Just go out when she's around. But don't puppy dog-like fawn all over her and whine over how she's not around (to her). Trust me, bad move. When she leaves just say "have a great time, we'll talk later."

As to the work/school issue: go talk to your profs for next semester. You may be able to work something out. But you'll have to work your ass off. No guarantees.

b

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I hate feeling hungover when I haven't had a drink in days.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rdawson808
As to the work/school issue: go talk to your profs for next semester. You may be able to work something out. But you'll have to work your ass off. No guarantees. b
He's got to leave next week. I say talk to them but do everything in your power to get out of school and take the training. Jobs are harder to come by these days. Are you going to be commuting to and from NY every day?

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
He's got to leave next week. I say talk to them but do everything in your power to get out of school and take the training. Jobs are harder to come by these days.

Are you going to be commuting to and from NY every day?

The real issue here is that I don't understand how they can expect me to just up and leave in less than a week. I would not be commuting from NY to DC daily, I would stay up there.

As much as I would love to spend some time in NYC I just don't think I can leave my schooling behind unless something can be worked out.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
The real issue here is that I don't understand how they can expect me to just up and leave in less than a week. I would not be commuting from NY to DC daily, I would stay up there.

As much as I would love to spend some time in NYC I just don't think I can leave my schooling behind unless something can be worked out.

They don't care about your schedule. Remember, you're their for the company, the company is not there for you. I'm not saying this doesn't suck, but HQs tend not to give a damn.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
They don't care about your schedule. Remember, you're their for the company, the company is not there for you. I'm not saying this doesn't suck, but HQs tend not to give a damn.

+1

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
This. They couldn't care less about you. My guess is, since they already tried to can you once, they're trying to force you out this time. Are they giving you some sort of room and board expenses?

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Can you just take the semester off of school? You seem to have a pretty good career path at this job, and it's something you like doing. Getting a degree at the expense of this seems like a gamble when the degree can't guarantee you a job.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
I know people with Masters can't get jobs either. And In fairness, I have have 2 BA's and about 8 years of full time work experience.

Go to your local community college and take an 18 month Registered Nurse program. You'll have a nice paying job, probably with sign on bonus, the day you graduate.

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
This. They couldn't care less about you. My guess is, since they already tried to can you once, they're trying to force you out this time. Are they giving you some sort of room and board expenses?
Yes, my hotels/flights/food/etc would be covered. I would pay up front and be issued a voucher following the trip.
Can you just take the semester off of school? You seem to have a pretty good career path at this job, and it's something you like doing. Getting a degree at the expense of this seems like a gamble when the degree can't guarantee you a job.
This is what I wouldn't mind doing for next semester, if HQ can fit that in. I know they don't give a flying **** about my schedule which is understandable, but if they can stand to wait until next semester I would be happy to do it. I don't want to give up my progress I have made since August, and I would still have to pay for the entire semester. What baffles me is that we have employees who have been trained here in DC who have not been required to go to this training because of their other work commitments, I'm not sure what the huge deal is with me going. I'm going to talk to an adviser at school tomorrow and see what they think of it. I'm at a community college so I'm not sure how that will work out as opposed to a university.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads