• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

amce

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sharpe
.....but it looks more like the leather is dry - possibly old stock that's been sitting around for ages?

You can see the manufacturing date on the box. I always condition my boots out of the box before first use.

On one of my CC's I had a sole with what you might call "an asymmetrical lip". I popped into a RMW/C&J retailer who has an in-house cobbler when I was in "the Big Smoke" and he fixed that with a few seconds on the grinder.

If you're looking for the perfectly symmetrical boot made out of perfect, blemish free leather then I think you might have to choose Gaziano & Girling or J.M. Weston, both of whom do, IMHO, a beautiful whole-cut Chelsea. But at what price?

I wear my boots everyday in the workplace which for me is a mixture of office and printing plant. I would definitely not wear G&G's or JM's in this way. They would be reserved for afternoon tea with Princess Mary at the Royal Palace in Copenhagen (for all of you out there who don't have a clue: Mary's an Aussie chic who is fortifying the Royal Danish bloodline,
smile.gif
)

Cheers

Biggen

Reaction score
Thanks for the help everybody. Will order online unless my mum can get to the outlet. Considering how much cheaper this will be I might get myself 2 pairs. Lets just hope that there is enough room in her luggage for that.

freakydog

Reaction score
Odered a pair of comfort turnouts from bootsonline a week ago which now seem to have got stuck in customs. Annoying......... Looking forward to the arrival though, can't wait!

amce

Reaction score
Originally Posted by freakydog
Odered a pair of comfort turnouts from bootsonline a week ago which now seem to have got stuck in customs. Annoying......... Looking forward to the arrival though, can't wait!

Check your pm

Cheers

Sharpe

Reaction score
seems the boots were made on 02 10 09...so uh, I guess they haven't been sitting around long at all! =D I'll just apply conditioner more thoroughly to the boots. I guess it must be just the leather itself that has grain - and i'm sure I can live with a little bit of crinkling in one part. Probably being far too 'precious' with them. They are, after all, just boots.
Originally Posted by meister
You must be Robinson Crusoe!
I suppose when there isn't much else to worry about little things are bigger than they are.

redmania

Reaction score
Hi Guys

No one here has a pair of RM craftsman in the french veal chestnut? Was hoping to have a look at the pics to gauge the tone of the colour.

thanks.

softbakedgoods

Reaction score
I ordered my boots from Nungar which cost $285AU and that translates to about $262USD. So this morning I checked my account balances and saw that I've been charged $325.29USD! I just emailed Steve about it it and HOPEFULLY he can give me an answer, considering how unresponsive he has been after I placed my order..

Anybody ordered from Nungar?? How much did Nungar charge? (USD)

softbakedgoods

Reaction score
Just got an email from Steve.

So the shipping is $55? Did everyone pay $55 for shipping with Nungar?

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
has anyone ever heard of the Forum Special done in the Comfort Craftsman style?

I'm thinking about ordering

- flat heel
- B529 last
- Yearling
- brass screwed leather soles

and using the descriptions from BootsOnline:

- New Poron insole provides superior cushioning and absorbs heel strike for unparalled comfort.
- Microfibre "sock lining" - soft and durable will breathe and wick moisture away from the foot.

idea would be to have a comfortable black Chelsea that is just barely sleek enough to pull off w/ a suit, b/c 95% of the time they would be worn with jeans or trousers. after seeing my Comfort Craftsman vs a Grenson shoe I recently ordered, I agree that some more sleekness would be nice. but I don't want to give up the comfort and I don't think I need to pay the big upcharge for the Veal leather if elegance is not a priority for me. the idea is a dress/casual comfortable boot that is a bit more elegant than the standard comfort craftsman

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by softbakedgoods
Just got an email from Steve.

So the shipping is $55? Did everyone pay $55 for shipping with Nungar?

did he say shipping would be free?

amce

Reaction score
Originally Posted by makewayhomer
has anyone ever heard of the Forum Special done in the Comfort Craftsman style?

I'm thinking about ordering

- flat heel
- B529 last
- Yearling
- brass screwed leather soles

and using the descriptions from BootsOnline:

- New Poron insole provides superior cushioning and absorbs heel strike for unparalled comfort.
- Microfibre "sock lining" - soft and durable will breathe and wick moisture away from the foot.

idea would be to have a comfortable black Chelsea that is just barely sleek enough to pull off w/ a suit, b/c 95% of the time they would be worn with jeans or trousers. after seeing my Comfort Craftsman vs a Grenson shoe I recently ordered, I agree that some more sleekness would be nice. but I don't want to give up the comfort and I don't think I need to pay the big upcharge for the Veal leather if elegance is not a priority for me. the idea is a dress/casual comfortable boot that is a bit more elegant than the standard comfort craftsman

As I understand it you can't combine the Comfort insole with the the screwed leather outsole. I have a MTO Craftsman in Veal with a screwed sole. Very sleek. Have posted pics earlier.

About heels: check out the slightly tapered heel on the women's Durack. You can see it in the RMW catalogue. Think it would look great on a men's model enhancing sleekness. Sorry I missed it when I ordered my MTO's.

Cheers

mr.loverman

Reaction score
I need help with sizing in RM Williams.

I am a 9 in vans.

An 8.5 in sperry topsiders (a tad tight)

8.5 in redwings(maybe a tiny bit loose)

9 in frye boots.

DrPat

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mr.loverman
I need help with sizing in RM Williams.

I am a 9 in vans.

An 8.5 in sperry topsiders (a tad tight)

8.5 in redwings(maybe a tiny bit loose)

9 in frye boots.

I wear 8.5 in Redwing GT and 8G in RMW. Note that the chisel toe boots will feel slightly smaller and tighter than the round toe boots. But neither are as narrow as the GT.

Trapp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Question here about rm williams 'distressed leather' craftsman boots.

Anyone own a pair, or have any information about them? To my eye, they look nice for a casual boot to wear with denim, etc. I notice they run about $50 more than the craftsman yearlings on the Williams website:

http://www.rmwilliams.com.au/home.as...ECD6850AE70656

I'm not sure about the reason for the additional expense. It appears to be a type of suede, but the site itself mentions little about the qualities of this leather, and I could find nothing on this thread (hard to believe with 1900 + posts--but it's true).

How does this leather look in person? Is it tough-wearing? How does it age? Any special care for it? If anyone owns a pair, i would love to see some pics. But information in general would itself be welcome (even if it's speculation).

I'm considering a pair of comfort craftsman with this leather in mocha. What do people think of these boots?

Ged

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Trapp
Question here about rm williams 'distressed leather' craftsman boots.

Anyone own a pair, or have any information about them? To my eye, they look nice for a casual boot to wear with denim, etc. I notice they run about $50 more than the craftsman yearlings on the Williams website:

http://www.rmwilliams.com.au/home.as...ECD6850AE70656

I'm not sure about the reason for the additional expense. It appears to be a type of suede, but the site itself mentions little about the qualities of this leather, and I could find nothing on this thread (hard to believe with 1900 + posts--but it's true).

How does this leather look in person? Is it tough-wearing? How does it age? Any special care for it? If anyone owns a pair, i would love to see some pics. But information in general would itself be welcome (even if it's speculation).

I'm considering a pair of comfort craftsman with this leather in mocha. What do people think of these boots?

Get the Cloncurry's in distressed leather. They wear really well.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads