• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

J Crew F/W 09 Discussion

synovoid

Reaction score
got the j crew x sperry chukka today, guess I'll return them and get the regulat one in brown from zappos
979955-p-MULTIVIEW.jpg

Fluery

Reaction score
Picked up today:

Suede MacAlister boots in anchor grey. Really like these so far. Looked great with my jeans and pullover.
images_eiec_79_79438_79438_GY6461_tif_ad8a0bbf6bf118e0.jpg

And I got their peacoat after witnessing snow on Sunday and realizing I didn't have anything warmer than a sweater or sweatshirt.

Aparke612

Reaction score
Yeah im thinking about getting those chukkas. How do you like them?

xanatos

Reaction score
Anyone have fit pics of the Fatigue Jacket. I have the utility jacket which i love love love and wanna see what that looks like now too. I shouldve tried it on when i was there this weekend.

edubs01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edubs01
Just bought the following....

Purchased online....will let you know about the sweater when I get it.

ArliHawk`

Reaction score
Just bought the big red gingham secret wash shirt. Love the secret wash shirts, particularly if you get them for $29.99.

Hermitedge

Reaction score
Originally Posted by synovoid
got the j crew x sperry chukka today, guess I'll return them and get the regulat one in brown from zappos
979955-p-MULTIVIEW.jpg

why's that? I thought the j crew x sperry chukkas looked better than the AO chukkas.

kenedtsu

Reaction score
Originally Posted by xanatos
Anyone have fit pics of the Fatigue Jacket. I have the utility jacket which i love love love and wanna see what that looks like now too. I shouldve tried it on when i was there this weekend.

im not sure how it relates to the utility jacket, but it is much slimmer and narrower than the millerain jacket if that helps at all.

synovoid

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hermitedge
why's that? I thought the j crew x sperry chukkas looked better than the AO chukkas.

I got these j crew x sperry, but prefer the regular sperry dark brown chukkas from zappos. personnaly I think these regular dark brown ones have better color contrast.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ArliHawk`
Just bought the big red gingham secret wash shirt. Love the secret wash shirts, particularly if you get them for $29.99.

How did you get that for $29.99?

Keroberos

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Vernon-Dozier
Got the Military Mockneck Wool Cardigan and it's time for a review. I've been wanting this thing since last fall and had waited patiently for it to go on sale. However, it never did and they all disappeared so I was bummed they all sold out last year. They are back this year and I'm not sure if they really sold out or if they put last years stock in storage refusing to put them on clearance? Anyway, I checked last years catalog and discovered it was priced at $188. This year the price is $168 so they did bring the price down a bit. I avoided paying full price because I seem to remember someone mentioning the mockneck was flimsy. For that reason I fully expected that I would end up returning the item, or perhaps because it would be too boxy.

I called customer service to get sizing and it sounded like the large would work best - I was right. I'm an XL in just about everything and sometimes XXL (I'm 6'4"). With this baby you must size down!

http://www.jcrew.com/AST/Browse/Mens...neck/18222.jsp

Thanks for the review and fit pic, Vernon-Dozier.

This man speaks the truth. Although I normally wear a J.Crew medium, the Military Mockneck in Medium I received yesterday is clearly a size too large for me. The Cotton Rib Sweater-Jacket fits similarly. I'll have to return them both in exchange for a Small. I'm 6'2", 200 lbs.

Update: Just got off the phone with J.Crew. Here are the measurements the CR gave me:

Cotton Rib Sweater Jacket (Small): Chest 40, Shoulder Seam 15.5, Length 25.75
Military Mockneck Wool Cardigan (Small): Chest 40, Shoulder seam 15.25, Length 26.25

Lengths are measured from the highest point of the shoulder. Sleeve measurements are from center of back, across the shoulder and down the arm.
This was my first call to customer service, and my CR was incredibly friendly and helpful. Seemed to be US or Canadian-based as well.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Keroberos
Thanks for the review and fit pic, Vernon-Dozier.

This man speaks the truth. Although I normally wear a J.Crew medium, the Military Mockneck in Medium I received yesterday is clearly a size too large for me. The Cotton Rib Sweater-Jacket fits similarly. I'll have to return them both in exchange for a Small. I'm 6'2", 200 lbs.

!! WHA...!! You're my height and about 15 pounds heavier. If I put on a j. crew small, or even a medium, I'd look like I was wearing my kid brother's sweater that mom shrunk in the dryer. How do you people size down that far and wear a sweater comfortably?

To be more specific, what about your range of motion? That is, when you lift your arms or wrap them forward, don't the sleeves climb up toward your elbow? And doesn't it feel tight across your shoulders/upper back? Doesn't the bottom of the sweater then hike up your stomach and lower back?

Sorry, I'm not buying that a garment made for a small man fits on a large one.

Keroberos

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Robert
!! WHA...!! You're my height and about 15 pounds heavier. If I put on a j. crew small, or even a medium, I'd look like I was wearing my kid brother's sweater that mom shrunk in the dryer. How do you people size down that far and wear a sweater comfortably?

To be more specific, what about your range of motion? That is, when you lift your arms or wrap them forward, don't the sleeves climb up toward your elbow? And doesn't it feel tight across your shoulders/upper back? Doesn't the bottom of the sweater then hike up your stomach and lower back?

Sorry, I'm not buying that a garment made for a small man fits on a large one.

I have a 39" chest and a 34" waist. I can assure you that the sweaters are far from tight, even with two shirts underneath. I have a full range of motion and then some. If anything, the sleeves and body are too long in the Medium.

I'll post fit photos tonight, and you can be the judge.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
OK. Sorry, I just don't get it. We have about the same waist size, and my chest is 42-43, but the thing that especially floors me is how a Small works with your height. I'm not saying I can't get into a smaller sweater, just that when I do, I feel like I'm suffocating.
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads