• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Questions about "The Godfather"

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ClassyGuy1
Well, ****, this sucks. I actually thought I had someone on my side there for a second. So, I guess I stand corrected. I guess it's true what they say about this site....the "Style Forum Veterans" all stick together and usually give the cold shoulder to anyone on here that's new, because "newbies" aren't as fashion-savvy and they don't know anything about style, so "as far as we're concerned, they're not exactly welcome in our clique".

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahah

worship.gif
worship.gif
worship.gif
worship.gif
worship.gif
worship.gif

worship.gif
worship.gif
worship.gif
worship.gif
worship.gif
worship.gif

worship.gif
worship.gif
worship.gif
worship.gif
worship.gif
worship.gif

worship.gif
worship.gif
worship.gif
worship.gif
worship.gif
worship.gif

worship.gif
worship.gif
worship.gif
worship.gif
worship.gif
worship.gif

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
1) Sonny is killed because he is the one maintaining a war that none of the other four families wants, and that is costing them all a ton of money. They know that the war goes on only because the Don is out of comission and Sonny is running the family. They also know that Hagen and the capos oppose the war and would stop it if they could. So they get Sonny out of the way.

2) Luca is killed because Solozzo and the Tataglias (and Barzini) know at that point that they are going to kill the Don (or try) and once they do that, they fear that Luca will come after them, hard. Luca is the Corleones' most powerful weapon. They want him out of the way to make it harder for the Corleones to retaliate, and less likely.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
BTW, RIP Johnny Fontaine

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
The GIII plot is based on two historical events which may or may not have been connected.

The pope who succeeded Paul VI in 1978 lasted one month before he died. He was something of a reformer, which caused a number of people to assert that he had been poisoned by the Cardinals, who did not want him to change anything. The conspiracy theories grew after no autopsy was performed and doctors ruled that he had simply died of a heart attack.

The movie, however, implies that the pope was poisoned (no evidence of that) and also that the pope was a real crusading reformer, when in fact the real JP I was really not doing anything all that radical, though he had made noises about getting the Vatican's account books in order.

The second thread comes from a real scandal in the early '80s. The head of a corrupt Italian bank was found hanging from a bridge in London in 1982. People were tried for the murder years later, but acquitted. His bank was partially owned by the Vatican, and he had been the Vatican's main financier.

Calvi (the banker) was a crook and an embezzler, but connections to the death of JPI are very tenuous.

However, much as I tend to dismiss nearly all conspiracy theories, in Italy they are more likely to be true, and there may well be something to this one.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dopey
Also, who thinks the gnocchi-making scene was vaguely hot?

do sicilians make gnocchi?

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
do sicilians make gnocchi?

do sicilians hire george hamilton as their counsel?

redcaimen

Bigtime
Reaction score
Originally Posted by somatoform
And at the behest of common sense, I'm going to ask how the hell they got a horse's chopped off head into a bed without the director realizing it?

They killed Luca brasi because they didnt buy his story about being dissatisfied with the Corleone family. One more soldier out of the way.

I always thought Sonny was killed because he was predictable. They knew they could get him to go charging off without thinking and without protection.

Ive always wondered about the horse head. The way I explain it to myself so that there continues to be no flaws in one of my favorite movies is that the movie guy was a heavy drinker and was just pretty much passed out in bed.

I have a question.

Did Fredo know or suspect he was being taken out in the boat to be executed?

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
^ in the novel, they also portrayed Woltz as a pedophile who beds child actresses and/or his stars' daughters. the dvd's outtakes has a scene hinting at this too. I might be wrong, but I believe the night before he found the horse head Hagen saw a popular child actress being brought by her mother to Woltz' house. And judging by the fact that the novel and the movie picks up some real stories, I sure hope this wasn't done in "old Hollywood".

also, if I may add: the premise of Vincent Mancini's existence is f'd up. in the novel, Lucy Mancini was getting fucked by a very very well-hung Sonny Corleone, but she was shipped out to Vegas to look over Fredo and eventually married a plastic surgeon.

And yes, I'd like to believe Fredo knows. Whaddyathink would happen when you're stuck inside a boat with Al Neri? His expression when Connie called Anthony, and when he went through fishing ("let's go, Al") hints that he knows his fate. He could've just called off the whole thing altogether.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidicboy

And yes, I'd like to believe Fredo knows. Whaddyathink would happen when you're stuck inside a boat with Al Neri? His expression when Connie called Anthony, and when he went through fishing ("let's go, Al") hints that he knows his fate. He could've just called off the whole thing altogether.

+1

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"I am Enzo... de baker. I stay. For your fadah. For your fadah"

NewYorkBuck

Reaction score
Sorry to revive a three year old thread, but watching GF1 this evening. My GF is cracking up since I know almost every line before they say it. (>50 viewings)

In any event, one thing that never made sense to me. In the wedding scene, Tom Hagen states that no Sicilian can refuse a request on his daughters wedding day. My question is this - why didnt Solozzo ask the Don for his political protection on his daughters wedding day instead of a few weeks/months after? :tounge:

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Sorry to revive a three year old thread, but watching GF1 this evening. My GF is cracking up since I know almost every line before they say it. (>50 viewings)
In any event, one thing that never made sense to me. In the wedding scene, Tom Hagen states that no Sicilian can refuse a request on his daughters wedding day. My question is this - why didnt Solozzo ask the Don for his political protection on his daughters wedding day instead of a few weeks/months after? :tounge:

Maybe he wasn't invited to the wedding.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads