• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DWFII
Now, having said all that, yes...if you want to play fast and loose...a size seven foot can find a home in a size seven and a half shoe (although I would be less sanguine going the other way) that's why leather is superior to all other materials for making shoes--it is flexible and can accommodate itself to odd shapes and imperfect fits. But even if your shoemaker is not trying his best to fit you precisely (no accusation, just a hypothetical situation), you probably should not accept anything less than the best you can get.

no worries.

i suppose there's something lost in translation, due to the fact that this is not my first language.

but i can confirm, that i have developed an excellent fit with all the makers i used.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by savilerogue
I haven't seen any pics in this thread of the shoes as part of an ensemble either, so I'm not close to changing my opinion on this.
Last year BB's Christmas catalog included a pic of a guy in a nice dark suit and black alligator wingtips. The woman in the pic was very elegantly dressed and it appeared that they were headed to a holiday party or event. I thought it was a great pic, and his shoes looked very nice as well as his overall appearance. I wish I still had my copy of the catalog so that I could scan and post the pic.

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bengal-stripe
Why would sombody care? Because a shoe size 7 1/2 E is 4mm longer and 3 mm wider than one in size 7 E....
Originally Posted by DWFII Why indeed would anyone care?
...[snip]... Why would somebody care? Because 4 mm in length and 3mm in circumference will make a lot of difference.

I agree with you 100% I apologize...my sarcasm muscle was twitching but evidently not enough.

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fritzl
no worries. i suppose there's something lost in translation, due to the fact that this is not my first language. but i can confirm, that i have developed an excellent fit with all the makers i used.
Good. I'm glad. Maybe the only thing lost in translation is something I was reaching for but never said outright... Ultimately, the one responsible for your fit is you, not the shoemaker. Although to tell the truth, without a deeper and more thorough explanation, I'd be a little worried by Mr. Weiner's remark .

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I agree with you 100% I apologize...my sarcasm muscle was twitching but evidently not enough.

apple to pears. that's typical for bengal(have him on ignore)

so back from the start. why should anybody care about 3 mm length. did anybody talk about the girth? not me.

henluc

Reaction score
It is not a pair of shoes or jacket that gives a pimp his look, it is a combination of items. A pair of brown alligator/crocodile shoes can be worn with anything in much the same way as a pair of brown suede shoes.

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by henluc
It is not a pair of shoes or jacket that gives a pimp his look, it is a combination of items. A pair of brown alligator/crocodile shoes can be worn with anything in much the same way as a pair of brown suede shoes.

Yes, the same can be same about all shoes , clothing, cars, etc.
I have to wonder how may SFers come in contact will real life pimps?

518aata

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Although I'm an otherwise fairly conservative dresser, I have a weakness for alligator and crocodile shoes and accessories. I have several pair, but found that I don't have many occasions where I think they are "appropriate". So, I recently sold these Allen Edmonds on B&S:

Shoes026.jpg

and I'm currently offering this pair of Nettletons:

Shoes009.jpg

Even though I still have another couple of pairs in my closet, I hope I don't eventually regret thinning the herd with these sales.

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fritzl
apple to pears. that's typical for bengal(have him on ignore) so back from the start. why should anybody care about 3 mm length. did anybody talk about the girth? not me.
I guess this is the question you didn't ask your shoemaker.
smile.gif
As a shoemaker...one shoemaker, with one opinion among many, I suppose...I can tell you what I have observed from many years of studying the foot. The foot is, as I have said many times, one of the most architecturally complex structures in nature. Bones and muscles and ligaments fit together in a very precise (albeit unique) fashion...much like a suspension bridge. Ask yourself this: if a girder or cable were three mm short, would it make a difference on a bridge? If you knew that, would you cross? The foot was not intended to be encased in leather or wood. And when you look at a shoe with a single outsole you can have as much as 12 millimeters of stiff leather under your foot. But when you put your foot in a shoe it is held in an unnatural position against relatively unyielding materials. Combine the unyielding bit with the unnatural position bit and it's a recipe for problems...if only years later. The arch that is built into a size seven shoe is shorter than the arch that is built into a size seven and a half shoe. That arch is determined by the model of last and is ideally set to a standard length for that size last. If the foot is too short for the arch of the shoe, the arch of the foot will be pulled apart slightly. Can this ever be good? If the arch of the shoe is too short for the arch of the foot, the arch of the foot will not be supported properly and will tend to settle. Does this seem desirable? And to return to the main problem, the shoe is encasing the foot and, as a consequence, the foot has nowhere it can go. It must try to find accommodation with the structure it finds itself in. Again, feet are wonderful things and at least in the short run, they will adapt. But "in the short run" is not good enough for someone who considers it a responsibility to get it right for those that come with their trust and their money in hand. I harp on this stuff and I'm sure it seems picayune and obsessive...I'm sure I am on more than one ignore list myself...but that's my perspective. That's my job and I take it seriously. It's true, I suppose--some feet will never notice, but others will go downhill almost immediately. I, myself, as a shoemaker, would never so off-handedly dismiss 3mm in length. If I did, the damage done would be my fault. It seems easier to at least try to get it right than to adopt an attitude of all-knowing insouciance. BTW, from my point of view, Bengal Stripe is one of the most knowledgeable and generous contributors to this forum and I read everything he posts conscientiously.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lasbar
Au contraire , my friends. Exotic leathers were used by the gentry to mark their social and economical difference with the Plebe.

I try and do everything I can to mark my social and economic differences from the Plebians. Well put.

Originally Posted by henluc
A pair of brown alligator/crocodile shoes can be worn with anything in much the same way as a pair of brown suede shoes.

I halfheartedly agree. I dont really think I would whip out the skins with dark denim and a cashmere sweater the way I would my suede Ferragamo loafers for a weekend jaunt. I would personally interchange them with a high polish laceup that is primarily used for evening events.

Originally Posted by mr monty
Yes, the same can be same about all shoes , clothing, cars, etc.
I have to wonder how SFers come in contact will real life pimps?

And I would have to wonder how many SFers are actual real life pimps.

glenjay

Reaction score
I have to admit I am loving this thread. I, like I hope most pepole on this forum, am here to learn as much as I can. I really appreciate the depth of knowledge that DWFII, Bengal Stripe, and others are willing to share in this forum.

In an earlier post in this thread I included a few thumbnail images of some exotic skin shoes that I own. If I had been involved with this forum before I had bought the shoes I never would have purchased them. The shoes fit fine right now, but the quality of construction is mediocre at best. In my ignorance at the time I was drawn to the fact that the loafers had an alligator, crocodile or ostridge skin for the plug (or entire upper in some cases). I did not realize the poor quality of the skins (leather) and assumed that there couldn't be that much difference in the quality of an alligator (etc...) skin.

I still like the shoes, and wear them with jeans in the summer, but I would not spend my money that way again. Next time I purchase an exotic skin shoe I will be sure to purchase the shoe for both the quality of the construction and the quality of the exotic skin leather.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by glenjay
I have to admit I am loving this thread. I, like I hope most pepole on this forum, am here to learn as much as I can. I really appreciate the depth of knowledge that DWFII, Bengal Stripe, and others are willing to share in this forum.

In an earlier post in this thread I included a few thumbnail images of some exotic skin shoes that I own. If I had been involved with this forum before I had bought the shoes I never would have purchased them. The shoes fit fine right now, but the quality of construction is mediocre at best. In my ignorance at the time I was drawn to the fact that the loafers had an alligator, crocodile or ostridge skin for the plug (or entire upper in some cases). I did not realize the poor quality of the skins (leather) and assumed that there couldn't be that much difference in the quality of an alligator (etc...) skin.

I still like the shoes, and wear them with jeans in the summer, but I would not spend my money that way again. Next time I purchase an exotic skin shoe I will be sure to purchase the shoe for both the quality of the construction and the quality of the exotic skin leather.

Im glad you are loving it. I am loving seeing how it has morphed from my question of taste into a highly complex analysis of my personal favorite shoe. I have learned much too, especially from DWFII - where are you when I go shoe shopping!
smile.gif
I need to have you on speed dial.

In terms of differences in skins, yes, you are correct in your comment. Its like calling a Ferrari and a Yugo both cars - while totally true, there are (many) differences that distinguish a superior model from the "plebes".

bobyoung7

Reaction score
Love 'em. I have Feragammo oxfords, a Polo penny loafer, Cole-Haan tassel loafer and Polo bulcher.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ljsayat13
I have Alligator shoes and its a great sneaker, very comfortable, looks good and provides great arch support.
What brand? Any pics?

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I guess this is the question you didn't ask your shoemaker.
smile.gif
BTW, from my point of view, Bengal Stripe is one of the most knowledgeable and generous contributors to this forum and I read everything he posts conscientiously.

no need to guess. after mr. rnoldh brought up a nice anecdote, i thought i bring one up, too i don't care for bengal...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads