• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Authortarian tie knot

Reaction score
What is authoritarian tie knot to show power? I am not autocrat but I do wish to improve my respect with colleagues. They are really pompous asses but in work what else can we do? I currently tie with a half windsor but it needs more surface area with large collars.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Best first post ever?

HomerJ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ask our resident Power Knot expert.
Originally Posted by mt_spiffy
There have been several (largely sarcastic) requests for my outfits in other threads, predominantly of the "I cant believe you wear that crap until I see it" variety. I promised to deliver pictures, and here they are. These are several outfits that I have worn recently and received numerous compliments on, perhaps more than usual. Most are coat/tie/jeans/shoes you guys dont like. A suit, the light makes it look brighter and bolder than it is:
suit1.jpg
suit2.jpg
This shirt, tie, and coat were all thrift shop finds:
grey1.jpg
grey2.jpg
This shirt was a Christmas gift, it is several sizes too large, but I love the design so I kept it:
largeshirt1.jpg
largeshirt2.jpg
The infamous pony shoes, with an equally outrageous tie knot:
pony1.jpg
pony2.jpg
Similar ensemble, but with a sweater:
sweater1.jpg
sweater2.jpg
A step further casual, no tie:
casual1.jpg
casual2.jpg
I expect a lot of criticism, and that's fine, but remember, it's unlikely to have any effect. I love my clothes, I love my shoes, and except where mentioned, everything fits the way I want it to. Here we go!

dv3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by djordje esquire
What is authoritarian tie knot to show power? I am not autocrat but I do wish to improve my respect with colleagues. They are really pompous asses but in work what else can we do? I currently tie with a half windsor but it needs more surface area with large collars.
The answer might be staring you in the face.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What is authoritarian tie knot to show power?
I suggest that you ask Dick Cheney. As our VP, he was a tad authoritarian.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSS
I suggest that you ask Dick Cheney. As our VP, he was a tad authoritarian.

I hope it doesn't break a knee but Dick Cheney looks like a man who never grew hairs on his chest and I don't think it because of his bald head.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hope it doesn't break a knee but Dick Cheney looks like a man who never grew hairs on his chest and I don't think it because of his bald head.

worship.gif

superfans124

Reaction score
let Spiffy go, please... he doesn't live in that dimension of reality anymore.

Butterfly

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
i may be one of the few that thinks the simple fih knot is the most authoritative look for a tie.

i find all the other knots like the windsor, et al are too dandyish to lend itself to authoritative looks. fih is most practical, slightly askew, manly, and a roll-up your sleeve sort of authoritative inclination.

I agree, but I wouldn't describe the windsor as "dandyish". I would say it's authoritarian in its inclination, yet fails as such - it tries too hard. It also appeals to men who don't understand the history of clothes and who associate the symmetricality of the windsor with greater correctness and formality, in spite of the fact that the four-in-hand is the original and proper way to tie a necktie. In a word, the windsor is vulgar.

However, I respect those who are able to tie it well (and can be bothered to do it) - I admire it on the rare occasions when it really looks good. It's definitely the trickiest knot to tie and coordinate elegantly.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Butterfly
I agree, but I wouldn't describe the windsor as "dandyish". I would say it's authoritarian in its inclination, yet fails as such - it tries too hard. It also appeals to men who don't understand the history of clothes and who associate the symmetricality of the windsor with greater correctness and formality, in spite of the fact that the four-in-hand is the original and proper way to tie a necktie. In a word, the windsor is vulgar.

However, I respect those who are able to tie it well (and can be bothered to do it) - I admire it on the rare occasions when it really looks good. It's definitely the trickiest knot to tie and coordinate elegantly.

For the look he wants to achieve, the 4IH is a fail. A knot slightly askew says 'dont take me seriously' to the types he works with.

MiloX

Reaction score
go with the pratt shelby. very easy knot to tie... symmetrical, medium sized, with a great dimple:
7.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads