• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Florsheim Imperial Longwings - worth it?

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I keep seeing those all over the forums - are they that good? Worth trying to track down? What should I be looking for - specific characteristics, features, etc??

hboogz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ At the risk of getting flamed, you should post this in MC. Personally, if they are shell cordovan, why wouldn't it be worth it ? vintage or otherwise..

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flambeur
Apparently not...

Old Florsheims were made in the US and are really nice. I picked up a pair on B&S. Something around $100 for calfskin or $200-$250 for shell would be fair - provided that the shoes are in great condition.

I'm not a fan of Florsheim's made in India products at all. It's better to hold out for 2nd hand Aldens, Allen Edmonds, or Crockett & Jones.

Coal_Mining_Polak

Reaction score
All of my nicer shoes are Vintage Florsheim, the build quality is slightly above modern day Allen Edmonds IMO. A good range of styles and colors are also available if you hunt for a while. I came across an older pair of beaten up chestnut monkstraps (calf) that I conditioned, cleaned, and polished that looked like a new pair of shoes. The quality really was there once.
laugh.gif

DSC02982.jpg

IGF-1

Reaction score
^

nice, usually don't like monkstraps either

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by IGF-1
^

nice, usually don't like monkstraps either

+1.

Do you have any photos of the shoes before you conditioned them?

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Among vintage Florsheim shoes, only some came from their high-end Imperial line. Then, among these, only some are worth it; pay special attention to those with full leather sole and heel (that look particularly gorgeous when unworn) with double rows of nails. These were usually made before the 90s IIRC.

Poster Teacher knows a thing or two about this stuff. Perhaps you should drop him a line.

Window

Reaction score
I'd have to say no. However If you find some I'd like to be notified.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I decided to track some down. Got a great deal on a medium brown pair - pebble grain, v-cleat, excellent condition other than some minor wear.

OMG they are ******* awesome. A lot less bulky and a lot better looking than what I expected. They look soo cool with jeans, and hopefully with cords (haven't tried yet)

But seriously, they way they feel, the quality of the leather, I can totally see what the fuss is all about.

I'm definitely going to be looking for a few more of those, probably burgundy and black.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
I think they're worth it because "vintage" ones are usually found cheap and for that shoe a great deal

but I never thought the leather on them (vintage or otherwise) was really anything special. But they fit really well and I like Florsheim's toe medallion pattern

Marton

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Coal_Mining_Polak
All of my nicer shoes are Vintage Florsheim, the build quality is slightly above modern day Allen Edmonds IMO. A good range of styles and colors are also available if you hunt for a while. I came across an older pair of beaten up chestnut monkstraps (calf) that I conditioned, cleaned, and polished that looked like a new pair of shoes. The quality really was there once.
laugh.gif

DSC02982.jpg

Lovely! I fancy these.

Found a pair of NOS Imperial longwings. I'm contemplating on grabbing them since I could get them for a little more than a $130

amnesiac

Reaction score
I recently got these for $15 shipped on ebay. they're practically new without any imprints inside and the soles are barely worn.

these are pictures i took from the auction, i'll post more later if you're interested.
longwingpair.jpg

longwingbottom.jpg

Also, I was wondering if these are made in the US. I assume from the double leather sole and the v cleat on the heel that they are...

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by amnesiac
I recently got these for $15 shipped on ebay. they're practically new without any imprints inside and the soles are barely worn.

these are pictures i took from the auction, i'll post more later if you're interested.
longwingpair.jpg

longwingbottom.jpg

Also, I was wondering if these are made in the US. I assume from the double leather sole and the v cleat on the heel that they are...

Those are sweet, and look to be same type/condition/leather that I have, except the color.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads