• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Versatility of a Belstaff Jacket and Question on fit (pics included)

flatfront

Reaction score
For fit I would go with no1. I too would not tie the belt. Great jackets though and I am sure you will get a lot of use out of it.

hangten

Reaction score
For fit, I pic #2. I was in the same boat when I recently bought my Belstaff Panther. I went with the more fitted size and have not looked back. I can't wear a jacket underneath but I can fit a non-bulky sweater. FYI, I am a 44R and I bought an M.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hangten
For fit, I pic #2. I was in the same boat when I recently bought my Belstaff Panther. I went with the more fitted size and have not looked back. I can't wear a jacket underneath but I can fit a non-bulky sweater. FYI, I am a 44R and I bought an M.

A medium? Are you sure you're even a 44R to begin with? I hear the Panther runs pretty slim in the first place. I don't even think I can get a M across my shoulders and I'm more of a 42-43R!

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I was wondering about that too.
I'm a 44 and I tried on an XL which felt a bit snug.

hangten

Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley
A medium? Are you sure you're even a 44R to begin with? I hear the Panther runs pretty slim in the first place. I don't even think I can get a M across my shoulders and I'm more of a 42-43R!

Yep suprised the hell out of me! I wear a 44R as I have a 44.5 chest and 19 shoulders. I thought I was going to be at least an L but when I tried the panther in M in fit me how I wanted. The shoulders fit perfectly for me. My salesperson actually told me that the panthers fit large which is the opposite of what I read in this forum. I bought mine from George Greene in Chicago so I know that the coat is not a one off. I'll try to get a pic up today so that you can see the fit.

hangten

Reaction score
Here are some quick pics

IMG_0583.jpg

IMG_0584.jpg

potter AB

Reaction score
Originally Posted by hangten
+1
As it is a motorcycle jacket, the fit should be rather tight. It has not been designed to have a jacket underneath.

Gutman

Reaction score
Definitely #2. Bike jacket should be snug. Length looks fine, but maybe need to check that on the bike. Oilskin is outdoors only - It's not like a leather jacket in that regard.

I am sure they are high quality, but like with any oilskin be careful not to leave it sitting wet after use - the cotton outer may shrink if it's left waterlogged. Then the lining becomes too long, and wicks up water into the sleeves and up the back. Nice.

redmania

Reaction score
Nice panther jacket. I am after one myself. Just looking for somewhere decent online to procure.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. Jacket looks good Hangten. Good slim fit, but you aren't restricted when you raise your arms or reach forward (like when driving)?

I should probably point out I don't ride a motorcycle and have not ever, so the utility of this jacket as one would probably be lost on me. I just like the styling.

It wasn't clear to me whether this style of jacket should be looser, generally, as outerwear so that I could layer more, or be more slim fitting. But looks like it should be slimmer.

hangten

Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley
Thanks guys. Jacket looks good Hangten. Good slim fit, but you aren't restricted when you raise your arms or reach forward (like when driving)?

I should probably point out I don't ride a motorcycle and have not ever, so the utility of this jacket as one would probably be lost on me. I just like the styling.

It wasn't clear to me whether this style of jacket should be looser, generally, as outerwear so that I could layer more, or be more slim fitting. But looks like it should be slimmer.

The jacket is not restrictive at all partially due to the high armholes. I drive pretty aggresive too (one of my cars is an Evo 8). If the jacket fits in the chest, I think you should focus on the fit of the shoulders and sleeves as that can make or break the look. You might want to try a Medium
smile.gif

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It fits well, I would not consider it very versatile. It borderlines chick coat and is a bit bold to be worn with too much.

acconrad

Reaction score
baaah i want a belstaff panther so bad but i can't afford it!

jsg28

Reaction score
I am in the same boat. I wear a 42 jacket and am between a L and XL. I'll probably stick with the large and limit my layers. What did you decide?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads