• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Inverse pants cuffs?

Finsen

Reaction score
Since I haven't decided if I want cuffs or not on my suit pants, an idea came up. What if I do inverse cuffs on the pants? Basically, it will be like pants cuffs but folded and sewn inward instead of out. So, I will have a straight hem to start with, and if I want cuffs next season, I can simply turn out the extra materials.

Do you think the extra material would affect how the pants drape? How much materials can I leave in before it will affect the drape (if at all)? Anyone has tried this?

Chips

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it will fail miserably.

calvinloke

Reaction score
You can't even decide on that? You are worse than a lady.

gsugsu

Reaction score
just sounds strange to me. Either cuff them or don't.

DerekH

Reaction score
Inverse pant cuffs? I don't get it

Just ask them to leave enough fabric so that you'll be able to change a straight hem into a cuff.

Drydis Greis

Reaction score
Eric Glennie, is that you? What purpose could inverse cuffs possibly have, stylistically or otherwise?

Kentishman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is this not just simply having the pants hemmed? I have this done all the time – visibile cuffs are not really my thing.

Unless I've totally misunderstood what you mean...

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
He likely wants enough fabric inside for cuffing in the future, but is afraid that 3-4" of fabric inside a leg that tapers won't look right so he wants them cuffed inside.

Drydis Greis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ramuman
He likely wants enough fabric inside for cuffing in the future, but is afraid that 3-4" of fabric inside a leg that tapers won't look right so he wants them cuffed inside.

It would seem the color of the "exposed" material would be a shade lighter than that of the non-exposed thereby negating any possible use for the excess material. Now I could be wrong...

Finsen

Reaction score
Originally Posted by apropos
It works - you get the weight of a pair of cuffs, but not the outward appearance of them.

It only is a bit tricky to do if your pants are markedly tapered.

To the other (unhelpful) posters, you guys FAIL.

That's my original thought too. And if I want the appearance of a straight hem, I would leave the cuffs folded and sewn inward. But if I want the appearance of cuffs, I can just fold it out and sew it that way to have a fresh look. Theoretically I agree that it would have the same weight-effect on the pants without the appearance of cuffs. But I haven't heard or seen anyone doing it this way, that's why I am not entirely sure how the pants would drape.

Why would it be tricky if the pants are significantly tapered? Would that apply to normal outward cuffs, as in putting cuffs on a pair of significantly tapered pants would be tricky?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
This sounds like a terrible idea. Anyway, if you're truly undecided, why not get normal non-inversed cuffs?

Finsen

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Drydis Greis
It would seem the color of the "exposed" material would be a shade lighter than that of the non-exposed thereby negating any possible use for the excess material. Now I could be wrong...

I doubt there will be significant change in color, unless I really expose it to the sun or wear the hell out of it (?)

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Many of my pants hems are not completely straight but slightly slanted towards the heel (especially the uncuffed ones). To do what you want to do, you wouldn't be able to have any angle in the hem. Which may or may not not be an issue for you. Another option, which is only reserved for the upper echelon of bigtime society, is to have the cuffs fitted with a button (I know!!... doesn't that sounds awesome-ish?) which you could attach either cuffed or inside the leg. Real young buffala horn only, please.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads