• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to keep warm but stylish during cold winter days?

Essentio

Reaction score
How to keep warm but stylish during cold winter days (severe temperatures below 32 F/ 0 C )?

Is a winter parka the only solution?

canada-goose-constable-parka.jpg

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That is what flannel suits and cashmere overcoats and odd jackets are for. And, of course, the vicuña.
For the feet, suede ankle boots.

Albern

Reaction score
I live just outside of Toronto so I have to deal with -30C (with the wind chill at the worst). A heavy wool overcoat has always worked for me; layered with a scarf, jacket, gloves, and sometimes even a sweater. Also, you should invest in a skull cap made from light weight materials. It might defeat the purpose of style but I've worn this for the past 2 years now and I haven't been cold yet: http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_d...=1255796701986.

eHaberdasher

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by epa
That is what flannel suits and cashmere overcoats and odd jackets are for. And, of course, the vicuña.
For the feet, suede ankle boots.

Agreed. The depicted parkas posted by the OP would be far from being considered "stylish" by most people here on SF.

Jeff Naylor

Reaction score
Temperatures below 32F are severe? It was 32 here last night and I saw people wearing shorts, I'm not certain that 32 calls for breaking out the arctic survival gear.

chestercopperpot

Reaction score
i would get a duffel coat or wear down vest over my suit. you'd be surprised how well the vests keep you warm.

emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Heavy wool or cashmere sweater. Heavy wool or cashmere coat. Heavy wool or cashmere socks. Wool or cashmere beanie. Wool or cashmere scarf. Fur lined leather gloves.

oroy38

Reaction score
I wouldn't break out the down parkas until it was around -20F outside. Peacoats and overcoats are really quite warm if you have a nice sweater underneath, and you can even wear things like UnderArmour Cold Gear under your dress shirt if you're really cold. I usually don't even wear a peacoat until it's about 15F out.

Then again, it all depends on your tolerance for cold. Some people aren't as sensitive to cold weather as others.

gsugsu

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Essentio
How to keep warm but stylish during cold winter days (severe temperatures below 32 F/ 0 C )?

Is a winter parka the only solution?

canada-goose-constable-parka.jpg

How severe is the temperature you will be experiencing? Snow Goose parkas will be too warm for temps above -20 celsius unless there are extreme windchills. They are intended for extended periods in very cold weather with or without extreme windchill. Listen to what the other posters are saying: a good overcoat with adequate layers will provide you with warmth you are looking for. If you want a heavy parka get one as you might find a use for it but it won't be something that you will use on a regular basis unless you live in an extremely cold climate.

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by emmanuel
Heavy wool or cashmere sweater. Heavy wool or cashmere coat. Heavy wool or cashmere socks. Wool or cashmere beanie. Wool or cashmere scarf. Fur lined leather gloves.
+1. You need a very dense wool coat for the bitter cold. Bottom line: layers of wool/cashmere are the way to go. Cover as much of yourself as possible. Forget short coats. That said, when it is super-cold (in terms of what you can tolerate), shearling works extremely well, and down parkas are great. Sometimes you just have to sacrifice looks to functionality. The Canada Goose parkas are fairly good looking for parkas, and they are very warm and well-made. I am a lifelong northeasterner and tend to feel cold in the winter. Living in Philadelphia, I find that I can layer up wool clothes and a tightly-woven, thick overcoat and do quite well. I also have a shearling. When the weather is just ridiculously cold, though, I reach for the Canada Goose. Thankfully, it's not that often. After all, who wants to feel cold?

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
move to los angeles. 80 degrees today.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads